Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Need Pinion Yoke help

7K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  penski61 
#1 ·
Ok, I just tried to get 4.11 gears installed in my truck with no luck. I was hoping somebody can help me. Stock on my truck, I have a 4 bolt, 24 spline Pinion Yoke. My new gears has a 29 spline pinion. So if it exists, I need a 4 bolt, 29 spline Pinion Yoke. I've tried calling all around and cant find any parts house with any yoke on hand to look at to very what they are. And they want payment before ordering them. I have so far hunted down 8 different part numbers for pinion yokes that nissan uses on our trucks. One of them had bound to be the one I need. If anybody can help give details on this list it would be greatly appreciated. Here's the list----

38210-8S10A = (I think my stock one, but not sure)
38210-8S100
38210-EA000
38210-EB000
38210-EB00A
38210-EC010
38210-EC015
38210-EC020

#2 ·
PM Penski, I thnk he'll know...

#4 ·
PM'd him. I think he is out and about this weekend.

#3 · (Edited)
I am positive that Spicer makes a 29 spline pinion yoke but accepts a ujoint (not a 4 bolt flange). When I was having driveshaft issues, I am pretty sure that is what I was holding in my hand when I was at a driveshaft shop discussing what my options were in order to get a custom shaft made to eliminate the flange...

#5 ·
If I can't find a Nissan one that will work, then I'll go the route of getting a driveshaft shop try to find or adapt one. Might look into a machine shop custom making one. But I'm still trying to figure out if one of those 8 part numbers I've hunted down will be a direct bolt in. That's what I'm hoping for. It may take awhile, but eventually I'll get the gears in one way or another. But for , it's still pretty cool having my Truetrac finallly.

#6 ·
sorry i didnt answer your pm i was in Moab with limited internet

but your driveshaft is 6 bolt correct?
my opinion get the dana 60 1310 or 1330 u-bolt style 29 spline flange and get a custom driveshaft made up from the carrier bearing back

with the torque your getting now you should get rid of the crap cv on the driveshaft and go to something alot stronger plus the u-joints are easily replaceable

#7 ·
Actually my driveshaft is a 4-bolt with no cv joints. I think my stock pinion and yoke is the 24 spline ones with the bigger splines in a couple places. So I need a 4-bolt yoke with 29 splines for my 4.11 pinion.

#9 ·
I might do that if needed. I still am hoping there is a nissan direct bolt in. If not, I will go the custom route.
As a side note, I'm really happy with my Truetrac that I did manage to get installed. My truck really hooks well now. I really have to get on it good to break the tires loose with the truetrac. Just feels really planted. Should be able to lay down some nice 60ft and 0-60 times with it.
I did get a little lead footed at one point today and did a quick sideways burnout though 1st gear, using maybe 90% throttle. I'm trying to take it easy on it for the first few hundred miles. But its really hard :).

#11 ·
Thanks penski. That narrows it down some for me. Less part numbers to play with.

#13 · (Edited)
the one you sent was a 4 bolt 24 spline , i think they switched to the 24 spline in 06

i couldnt tell you what nissan did , cause ive seen 29 spline on 2wd and ive seen 24 spline on 2wd same thing with the 4wd so its hit or miss

i cant remember now but one of the trucks uses a 1310 for a u-joint to begin with , i think its the 1st gen though

id double check if yours does use a 1310 u-joint on the pinion flange just buy the D60 ubolt flange and your done , no custom driveshaft

#15 ·
yeah thats a good route to try as well

the flange i have at the house is the one that nizmut sent , i measured the companion flange off the driveshaft and it shows that a 1310 or 1330 spicer u-joint should work with it.

so if you dont end up finding one from a titan check with a driveshaft shop and see if they can verify the u-joint for you
D60 Pinion Yoke, 1310 Series

#16 ·
I know the 2005 Frontier lists 4 part numbers.
38210-EC020 This is the 4 cyl one
38210-EC010 Have no clue about this one, but EC are usually c200 diff's
38210-EB000 This lists as a CV style, so I assume 6-bolt
38210-8S100 This lists as no CV, so its the lost likely in the group I think to be it.

#17 ·
Do you know how to verify which u-joints I have? I know that 1310 yoke sounds like it stands a decent chance of working too if I cant find the correct Nissan flange.
Oh, the 38210-8S100 lists as being used on many variations of titans too.

#19 ·
Just looked at my yoke flange and tried to do some measurements. Also I see the driveshaft flange says Spicer on it. The u-joints have about 1 1/16" caps, and the width is about 3.5" though that was kinda hard to get an accurate measurement with it installed. However the u-joint itself has SPR539 stamped on the side.
The overall length(at least visible) of my yoke is about 1.5" and over all to the center of the u-joints measures about 3.5".
So again, if I can't identify which nissan flange will work, then your suggestion of a traditional yoke/u-joint setup might be the answer. That will be a strong 2nd choice for me.
Thanks guys for the input. If you come accross any other helpful info please let me know. Fortunately this isn't time critical since my truck is on the road now, but I do eventually want to get those 4.11's in.

#20 · (Edited)
all the m226 flange u-joints will be the same its just the bolt pattern and spline count your looking for

edit: i take that back there is a difference in length between a 4 bolt 4x4 flange and a 2wd flange so you may have to get the driveshaft lengthened

ill get some pics in a few

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.