Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help here guys.

My brother has an 06 Frontier with stock single disc base model radio. We added the steering wheel controls but they don't work. I had been told that the wheel controls only will work on the upgraded multi disc changer models (6 disc internal).

Can anyone elaborate?

I had done this switch upgrade on my 06 Titan and it worked perfectly but I did have the 6 disc from the factory.

Thanks for your help

Karl

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think many have done wheel control swaps that I can tell.....I've been looking for info more on the cruise control side and if that would work or not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe you were told correctly.

In my experience Nissan radios typically have two harnesses, one for power/lighting/front speakers and the other for the rear speakers. On radios that have steering wheel controls there is a third, smaller harness.

I had the radio out recently and found that the single disc CD only has two connectors on the back - my assumption is that it can't be controlled remotely.

I wasn't looking for it, but if all Frontiers are pre-wired for steering wheel controls the 'third harness' might be back there and your brother could use the steering wheel controls for an aftermarket radio via a PAC SWI-X.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TXP5rY9zoc3/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=pac+audio&i=127SWIX

Hope that helps - and you might be able to help me too. Do you have the part number for the steering wheel controls? The dealer has tried to order them twice for me and I keep ending up with the cruise switch :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Steering Wheel Controls

I purchased a 6 disc changer from a NISMO KC (not RF) and the install was no problem. However, I still have not found the elusive 3rd connector (& 4th) on my SE CC. The service manual appears to show the same wiring harness for all CC Frontiers but I have not found it yet. I haven't had my dash entirely apart yet either.

I was also looking for the Audio switches as well and lucked into them by ordering a new leather wrapped steering wheel (from a LE model). I ordered the new wheel & the switches separately but when they arrived the steering wheel was already outfitted with contorls and the separate controls that were ordered turned out to only be the cruise control - same as your experience. Nissan must have part numbers screwed up. Therefore, my only advice is to order the new wheel and you should get the swithces as a bonus!!

I am nervous to take my truck to a radio shop to let them play around looking for the connectors but I am running out of options short of completely tearing apart my dash. Any help on this would be appreciated by me as well.........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
radio

Which models had WORKING steering wheel controls? Then we can trace wiring loom part #s and any other subharnesses back to the elusive wheel controls.

I've got them installed but they are non functiioning.

My Titan was a piece of cake. Installed switch and the radio is controled by my restless thumb

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
My wife laughed at me when I told her I wanted the audio controls on the steering wheel. But luckily I got them, it's one of those things once you have them you would sure miss it if you didn't!

I would try going to the Nissan dealer and talking to one of the parts guys or mechanics about the install. No always but sometimes they can give you the info you need.

Good luck...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
radio

I went to the local dealership. They said there were two types of steering wheel switches (one with audio. . .) and same wire looms down column, then same wireharness to radio. But three different radios.

I have the bottom of the line single disc. The next two up are 6 disc. But I don't know which one will work with the factory wheel controls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts