Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
whichever you get will work great. As stated, be sure to check bearings and tires/tire pressue before purchasing.

A single axle trailer is only rated to 3500lbs so you don't HAVE to have breaks. However, I can definitely tell that my ~2600lb loaded trailer is behind me when I'm trying to stop. Granted, when I have my trailer loaded I'm usually traveling through the mountains with 5%+ grades and sharp to hair-pin turns.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you have a gen2, oem trailer wiring including brake harness cost me about 65$. If you wanna get a decent brake controler, it's about 100$ (check Ebay, there's lots of deal). If you get a trailer with brakes, for only about 200$ (maybe less) use them. If you plan to use it regularly on roads where there is important hills or many high speed braking, check for brakes, it's a must. But at least, keep in mind your state regulation and truck specs and limits.

For the size, look for the things you will move commonly, then choose the one that will fit ok for that. Bogget trailers have higher empty weigh (heavier when loaded), need more space to handle on the road and beside your house, and cost more.

I would probably prefer a dual axle trailer for uneven loads, or high speed towing. Take care about speed: almost all trailer-rated tires are rated for 65mph MAX. And be certain that your trailer can handle the weight you plan to move... total cargo weight increase faster than we usualy think. Select one with at least 13 inches wheels, and take care of bearings. A full grease cap the only correct way to keep it.

If you choose a single axle ( less tire, less bearings to take care, but less stability at high speed) it could be a nice idea to take all your equipment to a road scale, then check your cargo. Be sure to get 10-15 % of total weight on tongue. If you can handle it with only 2 fingers, if it bounce, it can lighten your truck's rear axle. If it is too heavy on tongue it will excessively lighten your truck's front axle. both situation could be bad if something go wrong in the road... and could bring you out of the road.

For a used trailer, as many other said, take a look at wheels, welding, rust, deck, leaf springs ( get in the trailer and make it "bounce", check of it's too easy to make it swing, and if it moves equaly), electrical system (lights that works properly, and brake ) and ask the guy what he was dooing with it, and which care he takes. Superficial rust or a bad paint are easy to correct, but can help getting a better price. Aluminium or steel? Handmade or well known maker? And a short road test with and without load with someone behind you to see if there is something wrong is a good idea. Also tire balance can be helpful on the road.

my 0.02$

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. The deal fell through with the 5x10 trailer. I waited a little too long. There is a well known factory that builds trailers about 50 miles away from me. They sell trailers direct. They are asking $925 for a 5x10 trailer with 3500lb axle with 15in wheels. One of their dealers about two hours away is selling it for the same price, so I don't think the factory is discounting the trailer. I'm wondering what their invoice cost is on these things and if I should see if I can get a great deal directly from the manufacturer (try to get it close to what the dealer pays). My friend said there isn't much markup in trailers. He built one himself and told me it is better to just buy one. What do you guys think is a decent price for a 5x10 trailer with 3500lb axle and 2x8 wood deck? Is it worth it to spend $300 more to have new?

I decided on the 5x10 trailer to just get me started. I'll upgrade in the future if I need anything larger. I will also be able to get the 5x10 through my fence to store it in my back yard.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I think it's worth the $300. You know you won't be spending any money to replace parts on it like you might have to do with a used one. Is it a tilt style trailer or does it have a ramp or do you have to provide your own ramps?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think it's worth the $300. You know you won't be spending any money to replace parts on it like you might have to do with a used one. Is it a tilt style trailer or does it have a ramp or do you have to provide your own ramps?
It has a 4ft ramp. It looks like a landscape type trailer. I'm going to look at some tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
$900-$1000 is a good price on a 5'x10' with a ramp. The place where my dad and me bought our trailers, sells a trailer with that setup for around $950, depending on what other options you pick (the build them on site). So the $925 isn't a bad price.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
It has a 4ft ramp. It looks like a landscape type trailer. I'm going to look at some tonight.
If you are going to travel long distances, those landscape type ramps/gates are like huge sails, killing mileage.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Your truck will pull whatever you hook to it, so no worries there. My advice if you have the know-how is repack your bearings first thing. It is cheap and quick. My uncle just bought a new axle from a trailer store, threw it under the trailer and took off. A week later the wheels were wobbling. The bearings were almost dry. For my time and money it is cheap insurance.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Your truck will pull whatever you hook to it, so no worries there. My advice if you have the know-how is repack your bearings first thing. It is cheap and quick. My uncle just bought a new axle from a trailer store, threw it under the trailer and took off. A week later the wheels were wobbling. The bearings were almost dry. For my time and money it is cheap insurance.

Just my $0.02.
That's a lesson I just learned the hard way.

·
Registered
113 Posts
sorry to hijack the thread but reminded me to ask about it.

Im looking to purchase a enclosed trailer. reason, making it a mobile service vehicle. between me, my brother and my cousing we own a fleet of 11 work trucks. we service them on our own for most part so we need a service vehicle. instead of buying another truck or van, fix that and pay for insurance my dad suggested to get a trailer and haul it wiht my truck.

truck is '05 CC 4x4, I hauled my boat with it and its fine. but the boat has more or less balanced weight.

nowim looking to buy a 7x12 tandem axle trailer. trailer will have a 4-500lbs air compressor bolted in. 4-500 lbs tool box and various tools. I will try to balance it as much as possible.
would it be better to get a v-nose trailer (thinking aerodynamics)?
am I gonna be ok towing that with my truck? I have a added tow hitch, its a OEM hitch and wiring harness I got from dealership. what about the brake controler, can I get that from dealership too?

thanks for all the help

21 - 30 of 30 Posts