Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck bed on my Frontier CC is too small. I'm thinking about buying a trailer, so I can haul bigger/longer items. I probably won't use it much. Possibly 2 to 3 times a year. I have seen some good deals on trailers through craigslist. Do you guys think a 5x10 trailer is too small? I'm thinking of either going with that size or a 6X12. I've seen some 6x12 with duel axles, but I read that I might need a brake kit for it. Is this true?

Items I would likely move:
riding lawn mower
Appliances (refrigerator, dryers, ovens, etc.)

What should I look for when buying a used trailer? I'm going to look at the tread wear, but is there anything else I should inspect?

In my area, there is a used 5x10 going for around $600. I also saw a 7x12 dual axle going for $900.

What is a reasonable price for these types of trailers used?

Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
those aren't bad prices for trailers. i would personally go bigger as they are easier to back up. Also any trailer that you get you should run electric brakes on it. Just safer and your not burning up the frontiers brakes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just purchased an enclosed 6x12 trailer for a moving business. I got it for around 1500. The prices you mention sound way good as with the trailer i purchased had a few problems. I would check the skin outside and in for any missing screws and cracks for water penetration. I had this problem and after it snowed, had a big mess. Electric brakes would be a good idea, I have not had an issue with power loss or loss of brake control with mine. Check the frame, if its an enclosed trailer, as mine has a wobble. What i mean is if the back doors are open and i push from the side, the whole trailer minus the floor moves alot. Other than a few things like that, its easy to spot a good deal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

It isn't an enclosed trailer. The 5x10 trailer for around $600 is very tempting, but I just don't want to regret not going with a 6x12. Is there any tests I can do to see if the axle or frame are in good condition short of doing a test run. I plan on pulling it at highway speeds on some occasions.

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
Brakes on the trailer is the safe way to go. Without them the trailer is pushing the truck when you apply your brakes. Depending on the state you're in and weight of the trailer, brakes may be mandatory.

Clint

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Yeah, those are good prices. 6'x12' is a good size all around. While I won't disagree that having electric brakes is safer, I will say they aren't necessary unless your local laws say otherwise. For what you are wanting to use a trailer for, I think that a 6'x10-12' with at least one 3500 lb. axle would be plenty for you. I think you will regret getting anything narrower than 6 foot in the long run but that is just my opinion. I have a 6'x11', single axle trailer that I haul a Yamaha Rhino on and the Frontier handles it great at highway speeds (70 mph).

List of things I would look at/check:
1) Bearings - What condition are they in?
2) If it's a wood deck, check the under side to make sure it's not rotting out or anything. (As obvious as this sounds, a lot of people don't think about it.)
3) If there are any open places in the tubing (i.e. the ends aren't capped off), take a flashlight and look inside to see if there is any bad rusting. They're all going to have it just make sure it isn't going to cause any failures.
4) If it has brakes, check their condition.

Yeah, these are pretty obvious things to look at and think about but, you did ask.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

It isn't an enclosed trailer. The 5x10 trailer for around $600 is very tempting, but I just don't want to regret not going with a 6x12. Is there any tests I can do to see if the axle or frame are in good condition short of doing a test run. I plan on pulling it at highway speeds on some occasions.
Check for tires for abnormal wear, if it is an older trailer and has new tires I always do a visual and try to tow it with someone watching from behind to see if it tracks straight, just looking for bent axles! Otherwise do a good visual on the welds and what not, check the leafs and mounts for severe rust! I see a lot of trailers where I am for sale and the ones that go for a good price always need some work

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
...I plan on pulling it at highway speeds on some occasions.
If this is true, then with whatever trailer you do end up buying I would spend some extra money to have the wheels/tires balanced. Once again, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm really want to get the 6x12, but the 5x10 only being $600 is very tempting. What about titles and registration? The trailers I'm looking at are registered, but I don't think they have titles. Will this cause problems? I live in Florida. I tried doing a search and some people say it is just a minor hassle if there is no title. I just need the bill of sale and the previous owners registration.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
from what you described a 5x10 would be plenty. we had one for my dads construction business and it did everything we needed it to including hauling lumber and our tools to and from job sites.

·
Registered
578 Posts
5x10 would be more than enough. i have a 6.5x12 that i use for the same types of things that you described and its overkill

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm really want to get the 6x12, but the 5x10 only being $600 is very tempting. What about titles and registration? The trailers I'm looking at are registered, but I don't think they have titles. Will this cause problems? I live in Florida. I tried doing a search and some people say it is just a minor hassle if there is no title. I just need the bill of sale and the previous owners registration.
IIRC to register a trailer in Florida, you need a bill of sale with the year/make/model, vin number, and weight. Florida doesn't issue titles for trailers. At least it didn't in 2007 when I bought my car hauler.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
5x10 is enough trailer for what you forsee. problems are a shorter trailer is going to be harder to backup. A single axle trailer is typically less forgiving of your load placement (will wag easier)
A longer wider trailer will be more stable, but less maneuverable going forward.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i have a 6x10 open trailer with a 3k axle, no electric brakes. works great for me. I have hauled mulch, gravel, furniture, you name it... even a 7x7 foot hot tub...its not business, just part time personal use.
I had a 6x12 enclosed, but it was overkill. wound up being a REALLY expensive storage shed (on wheels though). traded it for some work on my house.
a 5x10 or 6x10 would be good, and $600 is a good buy for decent condition. look for 15" wheels, especially if you are planning to tow at 50-70 mph.....

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I personally have two trailers that i pull behind my CC. One is 6.5 x 14 dual axle with brakes, and the other is a 4 x 7 custom behind for my commercial zero-turn. The one thing i stay away from is a tilt trailer, if they are not loaded correctly you can get a sway very easily. I also cant stand the noise of it bouncing around when empty. For the 5x10 be aware that a 60" cut mower probably wont fit, but the are great and not big enough to worry about brakes. I used to pull one behind my old two-door corolla (actually moved between houses that way).

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
you dont mention if you have a gen 1 or gen 2. Im assuming gen2.
Personally, I would go with the larger trailer.

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
i have a 6x10 open trailer with a 3k axle, no electric brakes. works great for me. I have hauled mulch, gravel, furniture, you name it... even a 7x7 foot hot tub...its not business, just part time personal use.
I had a 6x12 enclosed, but it was overkill. wound up being a REALLY expensive storage shed (on wheels though). traded it for some work on my house.
a 5x10 or 6x10 would be good, and $600 is a good buy for decent condition. look for 15" wheels, especially if you are planning to tow at 50-70 mph.....
You're braver than I am. I don't go over 60-65 towing my enclosed trailer.

Clint

·
Registered
358 Posts
You're braver than I am. I don't go over 60-65 towing my enclosed trailer.

Clint
Made several trips between virginia beach and atlanta. It was a haulmark 6x12 v-nose. pretty smooth ride. 65-70 got me 11.5-12 mpgs. thats why i said 15'+ tires are a must. wouldn't push it any more than that.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've got a 5X10. It does everything I need it too and I like the small size, it's easy to maneuver and I can back it up into some pretty tight places. The only time's I ever wished I went with a 6X12 is when I want to haul multiple motorcycles or four wheelers. Also when it's REALLY loaded down with fire wood I get some waggle at 55-60mph if I'm not careful. I don't know if a 6X12 would have been much different though. Really for either size I don't think brakes are needed unless you are always hauling gravel or something like that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree, a 5x10 would be more than sufficient for your uses. I've towed my brother-in-laws 5x10 full of construction stuff no problem @ 65 mph. Also, i'll echo whoever suggested getting the tires aligned/rebalanced as you'll find many trailer owners never think about this and it can be an easy fix for any highway wobble.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts