Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Frontier 3.3L Crew Cab XE (non supercharged) and I am performing a lot of needed repairs. I have read the FSM, and can't find torque specs for the 3.3L drive plate (flywheel) or the rear main seal retainer plate. Also, has anyone replaced the screws on the valve covers with bolts with the same length and thread pitch? I ask because I think a bolt would be a better design than the screws, easier to torque correctly in tight spaces IMO.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Usually, you can find the torque specs in the components breakdown, but I couldn't find them there. If you go to the "General Information" chapter, page GI-41 of the 2003 Frontier service manual, you'll find a tightening torque table that allows you to find out the torque specs on bolts using the bolt diameter, pitch and hardness grade number on the head of the bolt. I would expect the retainer bolts to be around 70-80 inch pounds, but I usually just tighten them by feel. Flexplate and flywheel bolts I usually just tighten with my 1/2" drive impact gun. It's not as good as using a torque wrench, but I've never had any fall out, strip or break.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Usually, you can find the torque specs in the components breakdown, but I couldn't find them there. If you go to the "General Information" chapter, page GI-41 of the 2003 Frontier service manual, you'll find a tightening torque table that allows you to find out the torque specs on bolts using the bolt diameter, pitch and hardness grade number on the head of the bolt. I would expect the retainer bolts to be around 70-80 inch pounds, but I usually just tighten them by feel. Flexplate and flywheel bolts I usually just tighten with my 1/2" drive impact gun. It's not as good as using a torque wrench, but I've never had any fall out, strip or break.
Just don't use the table on head bolts or lower intake manifold because those have a specific torque sequence in steps

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
When you are looking at the FSM when you see an exploded view of that particular project, you will see a small open end wrench icon that has a line to the bolt, those numbers are your torque specs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you to everyone who responded, I went through the FSM again looking at exploded views and found what I need on page EM-131. To anyone that is interested, the rear main seal retainer plate bolts torque spec is (55.6 - 73.8 in/lb) and the drive plate (flywheel) bolts torque spec is (61 - 69 ft/lb).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts