Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have Been Putting Together A List Of Things To Buy For My Fronty
And I Just Ordered The 5" Calmini Lift And My Next Step Is To Call Greg For Some Prg Coilovers But The Reason For This Thread Is This

How Big Of Tire Can I Use On My Fronty Before I Have To Shave Or Trim My Fenders?

I Was Going To Go With 285/75r/16 Or Possible Change to an 18 inch rim With Tires.. But I Dont Want To Get Into The Mess Of Shaving My Fendoers

So If I Can Find A Tire That Will Fit With The Left And Look NiceThat Wont Rub Id Be Good?

Anyone Know?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
It depens on the offset of the rims you go with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
MORNING,
I HAVE 255 75 17 ON MY 08 FRONTIER WITH NO LIFT OR LEVELING KIT. MY Avatar SHOWS THE TRUCK. IT SLIGHTLY RUBS THE MUD FLAPS ON A HARD TURN. LOOKING TO GET THE 2 INCH READY LIFT SETUP THOUGH.
HAVE FUN,
ERWIN

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ahhh ok.. so if i put 285's on my stock then say a year later i "DO" decide to get rims i can just get a 16 inch rim to replace the stock ones right and i should still be good?

And i will be installing my 5 inch lift here within a few months as well so 285's do you think those are big enuff to look good and take up the extra space?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmmm...lol but its possible right? 285's will fit on an aftermarker 16 rim? and even if it does rub a lil its just the inner plastic i can snip snip

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mine wont rub thos with a 5 " lift right?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
just what mike said, so if you stick with your stockers and put 285's you should be good.
A 285 on a stock rim will rub the frame. Not a lot but you will see on the frame where the tire has rub.

Just get a rim that does not stick out pass the fender like a and you will be fine.

did you flip the tie rods around? with factory wheels, you will rub your tie rods unless you flip them
that is on the Fabtech lift only.

·
Registered
244 Posts
that is on the Fabtech lift only.
My Calmini was the same. Tie rods are on top side. Left tie rod goes on right and vice versa. That may have changed. Just follow the instructions. They're not bad.

Frame rub was the only issue I had with 285s on stock rims. Most of that went away with aftermarket Radflos for an extra 1" of lift. I do rub the elbows on the remote reservoir line now though. Only on hard tight turns. I don't have a sway bar though, so the truck rolls quite a bit. I really didn't need the remote 2.5" shocks though. The 2" without remote would have been more than enough. I don't imagine the 2" with remote would rub either.

When I loaded the front with an aftermarket KMA bumper the rubbing was worse with the stock struts (not adjustable) and did seem to affect my alignment on a regular basis over time. Or it could have been the combination of no sway bar and wheeling. Nothing major though. Just check out Brutal's thread on doing your own alignments. Once it's been set up by a shop, it's usually just toe in/out issues. I use the inside edge of my rims for checking toe-in, and measure off the center holes on the Calmini bracket. It makes it pretty quick and easy (15mins).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so do i? or do i not have to switch the tie rods there are mixed answers?..lol

·
Registered
244 Posts
so do i? or do i not have to switch the tie rods there are mixed answers?..lol
It'll be in the instructions. Not to worry. Just keep track of the parts when you take it apart. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is.

Labor intensive? Well let us know when you're done.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts