Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has problably been covered. But I have been searching for days and can't find a solid answer. This also is my first post so please play nice ;)
I have a 2008 Frontier SE v6 auto 2wd. The sticker inside my door says I have a ca31 axle. Based on my research, I believe I have 3.13 gears? I need to replace my entire axle, I found a good deal on one out of a 2wd xterra also with 3.13s. My question is, can I run this? And is there anything I need to do other than weld some perches on the top to make it SOA rather than the stock xterra SUA?? Please and thank you!!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm curious what would make you need to change the whole axle. Unless the housing is cracked or bent you should theoretically be able to swap out the axle shafts, pinion, carrier, etc.

It may be quicker to just have someone remove the SOA brackets from the old and weld then onto the new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The housing itself is bent 3/4 of an inch on one side. A little less on the other / \ <---- that's my tires. As you can assume, they're not in good shape, quick!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Makes perfect sense now.

Also, since you are 2wd, there is no need to stick with the stock gear ratio. You have 3.13. If I remember correctly there is also 3.36, 3.54 and 3.69 available stock for the Frontier v6 in other trims and with other transmissions. The 4cyl 2wd has 4.10's in them stock(if I remember correctly). Maybe you can find one from a Frontier with a little different gearing. Then it is just a simple swap. I think the 3.13, 3.54 and 4.10 are all the same axle you have already. The 3.36 and 3.69 are in the m226. They would be a less straightforward swap.

It may not be the best idea to change ratios if you do a lot of hiway driving with no extra weight and have stock size tires.

I wish i had lower gears in the Fronty. I could stay in overdrive more often on the hiway. I have 305/75r16 MT tires and carry a bunch of tools and gear. Or, With the camper in it I'm in 5th gear at 3000rpm to maintain speed on a flat hiway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts