Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 frontier with a fuel sending unit recall. My local dealership is fixing it but the parts will not be in for awhile.
the recall makes the truck stall and loss its steering and brakes... not good.... very very dangerous. I'm military so going through the gates on base and having it stall makes the gate guards very unhappy.
my question to yall is if you know if Nissan will supply a loaner vehicle to me free of charge. My local dealer said no and I have called Nissan HQ but being in Germany is a little tough for them to do anything. I cant really afford to pay the $25 a day for a loaner car.

I feel they should, I mean they made a mistake on my truck that is a very big safety hazard. if something would happen because of this recall could I sue them for it?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't know... a 16 year old vehicle. Seems like your lucky they even make parts
for it any more yet alone fix it for free.

If it's that big an issue for you it seem like YOU should rent a car or something
to get you by.

I read a story a while back where a family was having an issue with their insurance
company about coverage for their sick child and they let their child die rather than
pay out of pocket and deal with the insurance company later I thought Wow... that's
messed up.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well, my truck is a 2013 and wasn't having any drive ability issues. But my local dealer in Minnesota did give me a loaner - but only for the day of the service. Also, I think that's just what my local dealer does for customers. I don't think that was Nissan's doing.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
I had the same issue performed this year on my 2003 Frontier, which I purchased earlier this year. The sending unit had already been replaced on the aftermarket a year earlier, but the replaced it with a genuine Nissan sender, anyway. I also had the steering shaft replaced as part of another recall, as well. I wasn't having any drivability issues, which makes a difference, so I just make an appointment and when it came around, the parts were in-stock. They dropped me off at the local shopping mall and I killed some time for a few hours. I called them back, the vehicle was done and they picked me up. I was happy with the service.
That said, you're in a whole different situation if it's giving you drivability issues and overseas, but, also to remember, the vehicle is 16 years old and if there had never been a recall for the part, you probably wouldn't make an issue of it failing after all this time and would just pay to have it replaced; one would just chalk it up to "normal wear and tear." I worked for Nissan back in the early 2000's and back then the senders were causing no-start issues on relatively new and low mileage vehicles, so lasting this long, it did pretty good! The other question is do we actually know the sender in there is the original Nissan sending unit, or, had it been replaced earlier at a non-Nissan shop? If this is a one-owner vehicle, we might know this information, however, if it was owned by another person or persons, it might be impossible to know without removing the part. Also, are we 100% sure that it is the sender that is causing the stalling issue, or could it be something else and since there is an open recall for the sender, we are assuming this is the cause of the stalling? This would be important information if you were to go down the path of suing Nissan, so, it would be best to consult a lawyer for such information. As far as rental provisions, they are sometimes made available for customers under the terms of the recall, but not always. "Loaners" are sometimes provided by dealers, "if" they have loaner vehicles to lend out, under some circumstances, but not all dealers have them. One would have to speak with servicing dealer regarding that and the availability of one. Hopefully, the part will come in soon and you can have the issue resolved! And, thank you for your service! Best of luck to you and your family!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts