Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4 Midnight Edition
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an idea how to block the sunlight from the radio/center display console?

I have to put my hand over the top of the display in order to block the glare so I can see the screen. It becomes really hard to do when trying to back up using the screen to see how close I am to something behind the truck.

I've tried looking for some type of after market gadget that would lay into the cubby on the dash above the screen, but haven't found anything.

Has anyone been able to fix this issue? Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Dumb design for sure and I’m not sure what a good solution would be. One guy on FB 3d printed a shade for his and it worked great, many people were interested in paying him to make them for the masses but nothing ever happened with it. All the other OEMs set the radio back in more of a nook with some sort of built in overhang to prevent this.

I think the problem for the Frontier really is that Nissan designed the truck in 05 and back then backup cams were not a thing. The radio was all buttons back then and so some sun didn’t hurt anything, actually made it easier to read the buttons. Then in some random year like 2013 or 2014 they started shipping backup cams and screen radios and didn’t want to redesign the dash so they just rolled with it, at the expense of not being able to see in the sun. Nissan is lazy like that.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Dumb design for sure and I’m not sure what a good solution would be. One guy on FB 3d printed a shade for his and it worked great, many people were interested in paying him to make them for the masses but nothing ever happened with it. All the other OEMs set the radio back in more of a nook with some sort of built in overhang to prevent this.

I think the problem for the Frontier really is that Nissan designed the truck in 05 and back then backup cams were not a thing. The radio was all buttons back then and so some sun didn’t hurt anything, actually made it easier to read the buttons. Then in some random year like 2013 or 2014 they started shipping backup cams and screen radios and didn’t want to redesign the dash so they just rolled with it, at the expense of not being able to see in the sun. Nissan is lazy like that.
Looking that up the USDOT started requiring back up cams on May 1, 2018. Although many vehicles had them way before that. On my RF unit its generally not too bad and I can usually read the display. I wonder if it is worse on non RF displays? Although on rare occasions the sun will hit it just right and I have to use hand to block the glare. Looking at these pics I see the non RF display using a more shiny-flush mounted display and the RF uses a non glare display that is slightly recessed into the head unit. I can see where this can be a big problem on the non RF head unit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Looking that up the USDOT started requiring back up cams on May 1, 2018. Although many vehicles had them way before that. On my RF unit its generally not too bad and I can usually read the display. I wonder if it is worse on non RF displays? Although on rare occasions the sun will hit it just right and I have to use hand to block the glare. Looking at these pics I see the non RF display using a more shiny-flush mounted display and the RF uses a non glare display that is slightly recessed into the head unit. I can see where this can be a big problem on the non RF head unit.
I didn’t like it on the RF unit. It was a lot better on my Kenwood + Kenwood HD cam. Still, the sun could wash it out a lot of the time.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4 Midnight Edition
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Telephone Gas Audio equipment Technology Machine

Thanks for all the responses. I wish I could 3D print something that would lay in the top cubby and I could put a small bean bag on it to keep it in place. The screen itself is about 6 3/4 in size. I'll look at that one item on Amazon, but I don't know if it will be too big just to put in place without it going over the vents.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I haven't noticed that problem, but as soon as I got the truck, I took it to a tint shop and had the front door windows tinted with a 39% carbon tint (that brings them to a total of 35% and a 5% tint strip across the top of the windshield. The 5% tint is not supposed to go below the AS1 line but I had mine go about an inch or so below that. Maybe that is why I don't seem to have the problem.

The only issue I have with the BU camera is at night when there is no outside lighting. The trucks backup lights do not do a good job for the camera.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I didn’t like it on the RF unit. It was a lot better on my Kenwood + Kenwood HD cam. Still, the sun could wash it out a lot of the time.
I was speaking more for the glare on the display on the head unit. I do get some washed out on the rear cam but as we all know that's a pretty low rez. I also have tint on all doors which probably helps for glare on the display. It's a far cry from what I have on my BMW which is a 10-in high resolution I think it has HDR and everything because there's never any glare on that no matter what.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Here's another one you can try from Amazon....not sure if it's gonna be to your liking....covers from 7 inches to 12...expandable...

Reactions: DudeManBud
1 - 12 of 12 Posts