Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need help from people who know thier stuff. I have a 2005 Frontier Crew Cab LE. It has a flip out bed extender and the utili-trak system. I want to get a cover for the back. I want a soft top so I can take it off if I need to fill the back over the tops of the rails. Not to mention they are way cheaper than any of the hard tops.

However, I can not find a single one that doesnt say either "Does not work with flip-out bed extender" or "Does not work with utili-trac". I find it hard that cover companies will not cover any of the frontiers and titans with utili-tracs (I have to seen one with out these features)

Can someone point out a good cover, that can be installed myself, that works with the utili-tracs and flip out bed extender. I dont want to put a cap on the back or a hard top cover.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just ordered and recieved an Extang Black Max from here:
http://4wheelonline.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=2358&ProductId=13768

It was just under $160 when I ordered it, but it looks like it is just over $160 after the instant rebate. I am extremely happy with the price/performance of this model. It works fine with my utilitrac and sliding bed extender. I really like the adjustable snaps and the adjustable, spring-loaded bows (and three of them, at that).

BTW, I have a black 05 CC Nismo, black, and the black rails and snaps are really sharp looking, not to mention high quality/performance. I had tonneau on my 02 Dodge Ram that had metal snaps, and these poly ones are no comparison; they operate very smoothly. I have only had it about a week now, but it was great when I had to roll it up and haul some cut palms to the dump.

HTH.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
coz, how far out do the clips come? Can you take photos and post or send them to me? I have a flipout bed extender and I dont want to have the extender end up hitting the clips at the end of the bed. Why would they say it doesnt work with the utilitrak but you say it works fine? I was looking at this one becuase its not that expensive compared to others and its gotten great reviews. Oh, it comes to $163.49 exactly.

My CC is silver and its got all the black trim on the bed as well as a black brush guard and black tail light guards so I think the black cover would go along with it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks coz, I will check back. I would like to get a cover soon (before any more snow) and before I start going camping. A cover is better than straping down a tarp :lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
coz, thanks so much for the photos. They are bigger, clearer, and over all more detailed than anything I could find on the Extang website :lol: They have definatly convined me to shell out the 160 to get this cover. I am glad to see there is enough room for the bed extender. I am also happy about how it works with the bed caps, I really wanted to keep them on the tops of the bed, glad I can.

By the way, the black cover on your black truck looks nice. Hopefully mine looks as nice. Silver truck with black accents (brush guard, tonneau cover, tail light guards).

Side note, hows it look when you drive? One guy on a truck accessory site commented that it "bubbled" by the cab on the highway. Do you feel a noticable change in how the truck handles?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. For the price, it is tough to beat, IMO. I think the silver/black combo should be equally nice.

When I drive, the wind does push down the back a bit, causing a slight bubble at the front of the bed. All three of my bows are in the low position, so raising them might help.

I don't mind it, though, and I think one would be hard-pressed to find a soft tonneau that didn't; the amount that this one "bubbles" seems to be consitent with my last two trucks soft covers. I imagine raising the bows to add more tension might reduce it even further.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
coz said:
For the price, it is tough to beat, IMO.
Yea, I wanted to stay away from the hard tops due to thier price and the fact that they cant be taken off and stored "on the truck". This one seems like the best bet, not many complaints aside from the bubble forming by the cab and it getting pushed down at the tailgate, hopefully just changing the bows will help cut down on that.

I have read that these covers could increase milage by 1-2mpg. I plan to get a new air filter (some of the perfornance ones say 1-2 mpg increase) so hopefully I can get between 2-4 mpg better. so I can get up to 16-18 mpg (my truck is down to 14.3 right now, hopefully its the wintr fuel and cold weather, i was getting like 16-18 when i bought the truck right before thanksgiving. I would like to get back up there again.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have the Extang Trifecta and really like it. Install time about 15-30 minutes, then it can be removed and put back on in about a minute. Don't think it interferes with the utili-track accessories. It's pricier than the snap-ons though, got mine for $290 online.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would not reccomend the Tonneau Cover that you have to snap. I have the Truxedo Tonneau Cover and it's awsome. Instead of snaps it velcrows on the side and it rolls up very quicky and easily. The stabilizer bars that go across the bed to help hold the cover up are attached to the cover so when you roll it up they roll up with it. After it's rolled up it is secured right behind the rear window. The velcrow is nice becuase it's alot easier and faster. This is a little more expesive then the ones that snap but in my opinion it's worth it.

Also when installed it has a security option that once you lock your tailgate you cannot take the Tonneau cover off without opening up the tailgate.

I paid: $250

Nissan Truxedo Tonneau Cover / Part #: T70292301

After clicking on the link scroll to the very bottom of the page and it's the last one listed. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/p...9&modelid=300&year=2005&partid=61&brandid=583

·
Registered
492 Posts
How about one that you unsnap and roll back or just lift it up. Berlin Hinged tonneau

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would like to know how I can snap the last few that are on the tailgate. It was opened at the dealer and now I can not close it. With the weather being so cold, I am affraid of messing it up letting it flap in the breze.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nismo54 said:
I have the Extang Trifecta and really like it. Install time about 15-30 minutes, then it can be removed and put back on in about a minute. Don't think it interferes with the utili-track accessories. It's pricier than the snap-ons though, got mine for $290 online.
Where did you get it for $290 online?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wirenut, I looked at that and the Blackmax is the best for the money. The one your talking about is more than I want to pay for a cover to my bed. Bighert3rd, 250 is more than I will pay for a cover. I am going to plan on getting the Blackmax some time this weekend and hopefully I get a warm day some time soon to put it on.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
KingTut, I got mine from TruckAddons.com aka Trailblazers. Just checked their website, the price is now 296.76, free S&H for either KC or CC. Here's the link:

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/extang_trifecta.htm

If you order from them, beware. It may have been an isolated incident but they screwed up my order and sent me a cover for a Chevy. Their CS people weren't very helpful, had to call about a dozen times before they would finally sent me the right one. However, they were the cheapest I found at the time and I'm really happy with the cover.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Coz, I went and ordered the Blackmax this afternoon. I had an issue though, when I go to the website it shows my order history as being empty. I got no confirmation email and my history is blank. I ordered it from the place you did. Did this happen to you? I sent them an email demanding to know what was up, if I dont hear back, I will tell my credit card company not to pay. Help?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just went to "My Account" on their site, then viewed my Order History; my last order was there. I can't remember if I got an email or not. I did call them after I saw my order processed to get a tracking number, and they were very courteous and helpful on the phone.

They are local to me (i.e. I at least recognized the address), so I didn't worry too much. They may not process anything on the weekends, too. I'd give 'em a call, if it were me. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts