Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. They say when it rains it pours. That is what is happening to me. I am putting in a JBA CATBack and took out the old one by breaking two of the studs in the driver side secondary cat. I took it out and will take it to an exhaust shop to have the studs extracted out and will put new ones in.

The ISSUE I need HELP with is that when trying to disconnect the secondary O2 sensor, one of the wires broke off on the wiring side of the plug. I don't know how to fix that. I took pictures and are attached. If someone has that piece of wiring I can buy then I can cut and replace it. PLEASE HELP. Please don't tell me I am screwed because I am sure I am not the first or last to break those plugs (LOL)
Thank You very much in advance. This is my DD.

PS: I don't have junkyards nearby to check those out

Attachments

·
Registered
673 Posts
That sucks.

If it were me, I'd use a terminal tool to extract the pin, then try to salvage it and reattach it. If it's not salvageable, you'll probably want to see if the parts department will sell you the pin itself. Otherwise, you'll want one from a junkyard and definitely solder the wires, not just butt connectors.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You. I think it is salvageable. I have never taken a pin out before. Thank you for sending the link. I will order that tool.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I got the pin out. Tomorrow I will go to the local dealership and see if they can get me a pin. If not I have to salvage this one.Need good eyes to work on these miniature parts. thank you HeavyDuty to put me on the right track.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks very close to what i have minus the color of the protective waterproofing. Thank You. Going to the dealer this morning. I will post back here.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
soldering while laying underneath the truck would be fun ;-) The pin came out relatively easy using tiny flat screwdrivers that one uses for glasses.

·
Registered
673 Posts
That's good to hear. Once you know how it's held in they're pretty simple. I was only saying solder for a replacement pigtail because IMHO, butt connectors are useless in this case.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, HeavyDuty. The dealer mechanic checked all his stock and did not find a pin for me that was even close. So no luck there. I will try to call a junkyard to see if they have a frontier or a pathfinder that I can cut. The entire wiring is not available for this truck. I have a 2005 Nismo. with Manual Transmission.
I am told that the O2 sensor is sensitive to resistance so it may throw a code upon soldering.
Any other advice on what to do ?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awesome thank you, Sir. I will try those this morning to see if I get lucky. I got most of the new exhaust back in. I am using anti-seize compound on all the studs and bolts so later I may not go through this torture. I will post pictures of the exhaust. It fitted nicely with minor struggle. One of the pipes was slightly bent. They don't provide new gaskets so I got two new ones from the dealer.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i got the broken wire soldered and exhaust installed. I have driven about 15 miles and no check engine light (knock on wood) The JBA exhaust is slightly louder than the stock but not loud at all with windows down. You can only hear it under acceleration. I am glad it is not very loud. There is slight drone under acceleration.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank You HeavyDuty again for all your help and encouragement. I have driven the truck about 58 miles, both city, and highway with no CEL so far (knock on wood). The truck seems to have more oomph in 5 and 6th gear. ( I have MT). It seems it pulls better now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts