Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 frontier 4.0 is throwing a P2A03 and I could use some help troubleshooting.. I have a Bluetooth ODB reader and several apps on my phone to observe the codes as well as look at real time ECU data..So P2A03 is Bank 2 (driver side) sensor 1 (upstream). I looked at the O2 Sensor voltages and they were all moving and my trims also moving and long term trims kinda reasonable (2-3%) and short term trims kinda high (16-17%)... but bank 2 not much worse than bank 1. So I'm thinking I don't have a dead sensor but could it be out of spec... Before we get much further, I bought this truck with 180K miles and a check engine light (the PO snuck it to me cleared!) which ended up with me replacing all four cats. I now have about 195K on the truck so the cats must be good (just running regular unleaded gas).

As far as some data logging stuff I don't understand from the phone app (free Torgue Lite and paid Torque), I got vehicle test results TID:$4e CID: $0f - NOT OK and below this it shows MIN: 32468 vs current 33095. So I googled around and found "Air intake temp" but also saw "clear Emissions related diagnostic data". I would think that my air intake temps or anything on the intake would logically affect both banks so guessing that might have something to do with the fact that I have cleared this code a few times while trying to troubleshoot.

So I poked around and read somewhere that 02 voltage range should be within 0.1V to 0.9V and that bank 2 sensor 1 was peaking to 1.3 volts while the bank1 sensor stayed under 0.9V. Not hearing any exhaust leaks, I replaced that 02 sensor with a bosche sensor and the 02 voltage was now much tighter within range. Aha! I thought I beat it but then flipped the same code when the drive cycle completed (as soon as 02 sensor test completed, I was watching status and watching the CEL). Curious through all this looking at the drive cycle status, I have never seen the Evap Test complete.

Anyway, I just found one screenshot which might be after this rework, not sure, and it showed short terms trims bank 1 @ 0.78% (how so so low?) and bank 2 at 5.47% (still reasonable but well over bank 1.

I'll get someone to rev the truck while I look/listen for exhaust leaks and check those grounds I read about but can anyone advise on the Evap test not complete correlation or the TID:$4e CID: $0f - NOT OK ?? and otherwise any advice on troubleshooting?? If I don't find an exhaust leak and the grounds don't help, I planned to swap both upstream 02 sensors to rule out a faulty new sensor.

Thanks and sorry I'm not an active clubfrontier member, this truck just runs and runs without needing much attention.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
data review

I read something said that the EVAP test might not complete if there are emissions fault codes so I think that might be red herring.. but I relooked at raw data plots and averages and noticed the following:
1. bank 2 has higher average sensor voltages and trims
2. bank 2 short term trim tracks the sensor 1 voltage differently than bank 1
2. bank 2 sensor 2 does not cycle like the bank 1 sensor 2

Is this inquiry in the correct place on this forum?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks invasion08. So my post is in the right place for troubleshooting this emission fail? I had read that post about changing cat gaskets.. In fact come to think of it, after I had the cats replaced, I through a code and found it was leaking.. The mechanic who did the cats insisted it was the 02 sensor and I was like "YOU JUST CHANGED THE FRIGGING CATS!" & it's leaking... Can we fix the leak first and try it?? He finally obliged and changed the gasket. I just didn't want to touch the manifold studs without positively. Knowing it wasn't something else.. (Like a bad new 02 sensor).

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bank1 leak causes a bank 2 sensor 1 fail??

So On that problem way back with the mechanic changing the cat converters, the code after the new cats (P0420 I think) was resolved when he fixed the leak.

I got under there again yesterday and saw that my drivers side was leaking a little between the first and second cats and also just behind the second cat. so I changed both gaskets eliminating the leak but threw the P2A03 again. Today I had my gf rev the engine while I inspected for leaks and my drivers side (bank 2) was sealed good but the passenger side had a slight leak at the cat connection to manifold. CAN A BANK 1 EXHAUST LEAK CAUSE A BANK 2 SENSOR 1 FAIL?

So I inspected the air cleaner and cleaned the mass airflow sensor and did the mass airflow sensor reset procedure.. will get through the drive cycle tomorrow..

Is there anyone on here that is good with this sort of emissions troubleshooting?>? or can you folks recommend another forum>??

thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where do Nissan frontier owners go for tech support when fixing their own trucks? I know they don't break often and most people don't turn a wrench (more bikers turn their own wrenches so those forums work well). I got zero help from mother Nissan, nothing here, and the other big forum I couldn't log on or get a password reset.

Anyway, after changing the driver side front 02 sensor, the sensor voltage swing got less but still failed the P2A03... then changed the gaskets in front and behind the down stream cat converter, they were leaking a little, and still failed P2A03. Then shook out and flipped the air cleaner (it was way clean) and cleaned the mass airflow sensor (it looked way clean also) and did the mass airflow relearning procedure which has to do with 2000-2012 Nissan Frontier Clear Mixture Ratio Self-Learning Control Data

Read more: 2000-2012 Nissan Frontier Clear Mixture Ratio Self-Learning Control Data | Nissanhelp.com

that nailed it.

so perhaps a have a slightly clogged injector at 200k miles and the vehicle is compensating, or that 02 sensor was really bad and the MAF relearn should be a standard procedure when changing an 02 sensor..

Post here if you have a good Nissan troubleshooting forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts