Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this pertains to my wife's Rogue, but I figured there are enough technically savvy guys in here that could help me troubleshoot.

Here's the breakdown of everything I think could apply:
  • 2015 Rogue Select with basic CD/stereo system (not touchscreen, no back up camera, no factory amp)
  • About 6 months ago installed new door speakers (front and back) and a powered subwoofer
  • Door speakers connected with crutchfield supplied speaker connectors (i.e. kept factory plug)
  • Powered sub gets high level input from speaker wires coming out of factory head unit (skinned wires a few inches from stereo plug, threaded sub speaker wires through, soldered, electrical tape, and zip ties to hold electrical tape); power to sub direct from battery and grounded to bolt in rear of car)
  • No issues for 6 months until today when my wife tells me that the radio is on with no sound
My next steps are:
  • Check fuses (battery power and ACC seem to be the only related fuses per the FSM)
  • Pull the head unit and check connections in back including the splices for the powered sub
  • Put the head unit into diagnostics mode to see if it can fix itself
The only thing I can really think of is either something is shorting causing all the speakers not respond or the internal amp in the head unit is shot. I tried to minimize strain on the unit by using quality speaker wire and branching to the sub within a few inches of the head unit output. My only concern is that the higher impedance speakers and the pull of the powered sub wore that factory head unit out fast.

I would appreciate any other ideas for troubleshooting, or theories of what might have happened. I am decent with electricity, but a novice at audio equipment.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
- Since you have the basic HU, You probably don't have to check fuses unless something that's supposed to be on isn't - in other words, if the head unit lights up and the powered sub amp lights up, then it's not a fuse.

- First thing I'd do is pull the HU out of the dash (don't disconnect it) and check for signal at the speaker output wires using a DVM. Turn the volume up and down, change to different sources while you're checking. If there's no signal at all, then the HU is shot.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Raine,
Thanks for the feedback. The problem seems to have resolved itself (i.e. everything is working and sounds fine again). Regardless, I tore into it this weekend. I traced all my wiring to the powered sub and flexed the splices and grounds trying to get it to cut out. I also pulled the HU and wiggled the plugs and checked the splices I made there. I did not check anything with a voltmeter, but since it was producing sound, I figure it had power.

I could not find the culprit, so I am thinking it is the work of a gremlin...or my wife had the wrong source selected! If it happens, again, I am going to start checking the outputs like you mentioned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Terrible_Engineer
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing