Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be piecing together my system as the money becomes available and I need some help deciding on an amp. I am basically illiterate when it comes to car audio, so any help would be awesome. I have pretty much decided on ths sub JBL GTO804 Grand Touring Series 8" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com due to the limited area in my truck. I put in some Polk speakers a month or so ago, also Polk Audio db651 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers — for 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com I would like to kill two birds with one stone and get an amp that can power the speakers and the sub(I only have two speakers) but I have no clue what I'm looking for. Somebody let me know what size amp to look for, please.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
what is your price range?

youll need somthing that does 50-70rms x2ch
(150-250 rms bridged @ 4 ohm)

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cheap is good. I want something that will get the job done, though.

So, something like this guy Rockford Fosgate Prime R150-2 2-channel car amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 2 at Crutchfield.com Will that be able to power the sub and the speakers at the same time? It says "Switch over to mono mode and you can send 150 watts RMS to a sub", I don't know if this means you can power either the speakers or the sub or you can power both in mono mode. Like I said, I don't understand this stuff lol

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
sorry my post wasent really clear you need a 4 ch amp.
the front chs will power the speakers and the rear will be bridged to power the sub.

are you wanting to buy from crutchfield? because just about everything can be found other places for cheaper.
and do you have a preference of brand

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, I gotcha. I was just using crutchfield because there are usually a lot of reviews on most of their stuff, so it was just the first place I looked. I do not care what brand it is, my speakers, head unit, and sub will all be different brands so I am not trying to pair everything up or anything.

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
122 Posts
Whatever amp you decide on, ensure it is 4/3/2 channel and whatever ohm stable that your sub and speakers are. For instance, if your sub is 2ohm, make sure the amp is 2ohm stable.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I got some money for christmas and I started thinking about this again. I am still a little confused, though. Can someone tell me what size amp I would need if I wasn't going to power the speakers, just the sub? I still plan to go with the same sub that I posted in the first post. This stuff confuses the crap out of me lol

·
Registered
5,939 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Bro, cheaper is NOT better. If you are on a budget, thats great. But the key is you want to buy ONCE not having to replace the equipment....ever! Rockford Prime is not a great choice because the THD (total harmonic distortion) is too high. Simply put, stay with Crutchfield and look at their Kenwood 40x4 amps. Thats 40 watts times 4 channels. You will bridge 2 ch. to the sub and stereo the other 2 to the front spkrs. This amp has all the built in filters you will ever need, and plenty of power. But please! Stay away from the GT JBL's. Go to Sound solution's web site and look at their enclosures for the frontiers. Hope that this is not too late to help you. Let me know if you need help with the install.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm pretty partial to bridging a multi channel amp. With a mono amp you'll need to run additional amps for the other spkrs. A multi channel amp allows you to have several channels of out put with crossovers and wiring flexibility and onlcy have to run 1 power, ground, and remote wire. 5 channel amps are awesome, but very expensive. I like a good 4 channel, a very good 4 channel.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I get paid on the 4th. This means I will finally order my stuff on the 4th. I changed my mind on all of it and I think I am going to go with this stuff.

Rockford Fosgate P2D48 Punch Stage 2 8" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield Signature

JVC KS-AX4302 2-channel car amplifier — 100 watts RMS x 2 at Crutchfield.com

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X794 CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

I won't be ordering all of it from crutchfield, just the amp. I don't know if I am ordering the head unit yet either, but the sub and amp will definitely be ordered. Let me know what you guys think about my choices. Most of you know a whole lot more about this stuff than me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts