Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2016 nissan pro4x. I wanted be able to load more in the rear so I opted on getting a add a leaf and a 2 inch spacer in the front. Well I am having some issues 1. I get that cupping in the front when I go over speed bumps and my rear end when I am at a complete stop when I hit the gas sometimes I get a weird feel as if something is loose somewhere. I have no clue what it is everything is tight. I took it to nissan and they did see that the rear end tilts a little sometimes during take off. I have it scheduled to have it all taken off but I am wondering if there is a better way to go like getting the adjustable bilstein shocks for the front cupping. I am looking for suggestions if any.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
So I have a 2016 nissan pro4x. I wanted be able to load more in the rear so I opted on getting a add a leaf and a 2 inch spacer in the front. Well I am having some issues 1. I get that cupping in the front when I go over speed bumps and my rear end when I am at a complete stop when I hit the gas sometimes I get a weird feel as if something is loose somewhere. I have no clue what it is everything is tight. I took it to nissan and they did see that the rear end tilts a little sometimes during take off. I have it scheduled to have it all taken off but I am wondering if there is a better way to go like getting the adjustable bilstein shocks for the front cupping. I am looking for suggestions if any.
For the Rear: Blocks will exaggerate axle wrap, which is already an issue with soft-ish leaves or flat leaves (like ours). AAL can reduce some of the wrap, but it will not be better than stock. Even the stock leafpack has wrap. If your reason for the AAL was just for load capacity, then you're approaching it wrong. Either get a custom leafpack built for the height & load capacity you want OR get some airbags. If you're lifting for clearance, just get some ARB/OME leafpacks. They're the least expensive, get you ~2" and come in 2 weight capacities. HERE is a video showing axlewrap. The "best" fix for wrap is a multilink setup (expensive & lots of fab) but beyond what most people need.

For the FRONT: "cupping in the front when I go over speed bumps" not sure what you mean by this... are you talking about cupping/feathering on the tire tread? Did you get the adjustable LCA cam bolts? If no, get a set and have your alignment set. I had a set of 2" spacers for about 15K miles with 0 abnormal wear. The "before" alignment when I installed the spacers was OOT (out of tolerance) & the cam bolts brought it back in spec and even allowed for a bit of neg camber ( /-\ )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was not cupping I actually forgot the word. Is 2 inches to large of a spacer? Coil bucket is what I meant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I had installed was the 2 inches, nisstec lift with an add a leaf for 249.00. Will that axle wrap do any damage over time? What I get is minimal and happens only occasionally.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Coil bucket contact. The noise you hear when going over speed bumps is the upper control arm (UCA) hitting the coil bucket when you top out the suspension. Don't worry about it. It is only noise due to the fact that you extended the down travel of the suspension and are getting a little more travel. If it bothers you, you can add a small bumps top to the UCA to cushion and quite down the contact. Do a search on the topic. Several write ups.

As for the "loose" feeling. Did you replace the locating bolt through the new add a leaf and connect it to the rest of your leaf pack. Does everything look like it is still lined up. Probably nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
2" spacer is largest you want to go in the front. At that you will have mild CBC (coil bucket contact). The only solution is replacement UCAs, either SPC or TC/PRG. You can get a bumpstop for the UCA but that simply softens the bump. Or turn up the music. As to "does it harm..." no, it doesn't do any real harm, just annoys you. UCA bumps / SPC UCA / LCA cam bolts / PRG UCA

axle wrap: Over time it will fatigue the spring. beyond that, if you're not always hard on the gas and it doesn't look like the 'before' in the vid I linked to, then you will be fine. expect the spring to need replacing somewhere between 50-80k based on what folks report on here. Remember most that complain of the spring wearing out are using their trucks and notice these things. If you're using the truck as a show-queen (no weight in bed, never offroad, never tow...) or just flog it and don't care they'll last the truck, with the rear sagging, just like any other 20+ yr old truck. Seriously, if you look at an old truck from the 70s or 80s its low in the rear and lower on one side (either from body mounts or springs or both) compared to a similar truck thats well cared for and sitting square & strong

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome ty. The only thing I am having a issue with is the acronyms about fixing coil bucket.uca= upper control arm, such no clue or the others. Ty very much.

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
two things. Slow down over speed bumps. Mine does it too if I go to fast.

Does the weird feeling taking off from a stop occur when you are on a slight incline? that might be the hill start assist working. There is a slight delay from when the brakes let off. It has freaked a few people out.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Coil bucket contact. The noise you hear when going over speed bumps is the upper control arm (UCA) hitting the coil bucket when you top out the suspension. Don't worry about it. It is only noise due to the fact that you extended the down travel of the suspension and are getting a little more travel. t
You actually shortened the percentage of your droop,(down travel)not extended it.Don't know how your travel would increase at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everything on the add a leaf is good. With all your guys input I feel confident there is no problem
I would like the front a little taller to level it out since the add a leaf brought it up some more but I do not want to go over a 2 inch spacer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts