Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I previously upgraded the front speakers with 6.5 in. MB Quart components (RCE 216). I still have the stock head unit and just put in a 40W RMS X 4 channel amp (Alpine MRP-240). I just finished the wiring and gave it a test run. It's really overdriving all 4 channels, even on low volume. So I changed the setting from full range to mid/high, which clips the bass at 80Hz. This is resulting in really weak bass. Bass is the reason I got the amp. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

·
Registered
62 Posts
jwtillema said:
Hey guys,

I previously upgraded the front speakers with 6.5 in. MB Quart components (RCE 216). I still have the stock head unit and just put in a 40W RMS X 4 channel amp (Alpine MRP-240). I just finished the wiring and gave it a test run. It's really overdriving all 4 channels, even on low volume. So I changed the setting from full range to mid/high, which clips the bass at 80Hz. This is resulting in really weak bass. Bass is the reason I got the amp. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?
well... from my knowledge.. you will never get the same quality using the fatory deck due to the way the input into the amp is done. RCA's are a much cleaner signal. First i would suggest getting an aftermarket deck with preouts. If you just really want to use
the factory deck then I would suggest trying the amp in full range again..
1. turn the volume on the headunit down to almost the losest setting.
2. turn the gain down on the amp all the way.
3. set the amp to no crossover so that you get the full range of sound.
4. slowly start turning the gain on the amp up. If the volume does not go up trying turning the volume of the headunit up a litte bit until you get the quality you are after.

Your Head unit should be at a very Low volume since you have amplified speakers now.... It should also sound cleaner and crisper.

I hope this makes sense and helps....

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Are you using a high/low converter to adapt the amp? If you are check the bass settings on the factory radio, it would have to be at half in order to leave the amp on full for it to sound good. Adjust the gains on the amp to raise or lower the volume to your taste and that should be it. That is a problem when running a stock receiver with an aftermarket amp, but do this and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I adjusted the gain and for the most part that seemed to help. There are some songs where I need to adjust the bass on the HU to avoid problems, though. So, I guess this just requires some adjustment. But fundamentally, why I am I overdriving the speaker when the amp is far below the speakers' capability?

·
Registered
27 Posts
your amplifier is probably not meant to receive speaker level inputs, it wants line level - i.e. RCA's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
your amplifier is probably not meant to receive speaker level inputs, it wants line level - i.e. RCA's.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see your point, but why would a company go through the trouble of designing a wiring harness and circuit board to allow the input of a high-level signal for an amp that can't amplify the signal well? I suppose, to appeal to a wider audience, but I wouldn't expect Alpine to put out a half-*** product.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Actually its costs them couple bucks to add high level signal to there amps, the reason they do not make them clear as adding an aftermarket radio is b/c you would have to spend more money to get the radio.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts