Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Le cc

I am buying a 14'7" x 39" (78 lbs.) canoe in a few days. My dilemma, the front crossbar of my roof rack was knocked off in a carwash leaving only the rear crossbar. I've included this hyperlink to pictures as well as trying to attach one to the post. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Picasa Web Albums - Fred - Truck Dillema

Attachments

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
well, I would replace that crossbar when fundings are adequate(if they are not currently). Until then you may want to a plank, drill holes in both sides so you can tie around the roof rack. Before you put it on put a piece of Styrofoam(it comes in a tube shape I believe) around the bar so you won't scratch the rack. I thought that up in my head, so sorry if some of the details seem a little fuzzy

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Salvage yard?

Local Fab shop?

PVC pipe?

Any type bar would do for 80lbs spread over the rack mounts. Get yourself some bar pads to keep from damaging your new water craft.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Canoe problem solved...

I fabricated my own (Thule like) rack because my crossbar is gone and they want over 200 clams for the bar. Brought home the canoe from Bass Pro (30 miles without a problem) I've attached photos mainly for my own enjoyment, and for anybody needing a similar solution in the future...(around $50 total from Home Depot)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Looks like it all worked out for you, and looks good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use a bed extender for my kayaks. Works great, easy to load and unload (from bed level, not roof). I think it cost me $120 shipped (sorry, it was awhile ago).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bed Extender

I did purchase a 100 dollar "reese canoe loader" from Bass Pro that goes in the trailer hitch:amazing:. You set the nose of the canoe on the crossbar, and swivel it to the racks and tie down. Very easy, and I can load / unload myself!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts