Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for my 3rd Frontier. I live in a market that mostly sells 4x4 and I'm trying to get a 4x2.
I will mostly use the truck as a personal vehicle, commuting, errands, around town, etc. I'm not going to take the truck out 4-wheeling, or towing/hauling things. My area gets some winter weather but I've always just used sand bags in the bed for that.

Do I really need to fork out the $3-4k for the 4x4 just for some winter weather?
What are your thoughts?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What area are you in and what's the climate like? If you get 10" overnight are you going to need to make it to work in the morning in this vehicle? Are you going to install snow tires for winter? I like having 4x4 and snow tires because I know that makes my truck more capable than 99% of vehicles on the road, and I have no concerns of getting anywhere. I only use 4x4 on the worst of storms when coming from a stop. If I didn't have 4x4, I would just be a little more cautious of when I decided to drive in a snow storm, and a little more conscious of how deep the snow is when coming to a stop. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't have it, but it sure is nice having the confidence of having a vehicle that can handle anything.

If it were between 4x4 and snow tires, snow tires are more important. They help with moving forward (like 4x4 does), but also help with braking and cornering. They are cheap (since your summer tires are not being worn during winter), and just the savings in fuel of having a 2x4 over a 4x4 will probably be enough to pay for the snow tires over the life of them.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is how long you may keep the truck. if you plan to keep it until it is a pile of rust then it won't matter, but if you plan to have it a few years and trade, not having the 4wd can have quite an affect on value. Around here a well used 2wd truck holds little value. same truck in 4wd is still worth something.

And in all honesty, I'll never go back to 2wd for a daily driver year round truck here in MN. if I was further south, probably a different story, but, I'll take my 4wd and not use it over not having and not being able to use.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I Here's a few questions I'd ask:
1. How much snow do you really get? Are we talking Maine with 120"/winter or Missouri with 25"/winter?
2. Do you live in a mountainous region, lots of hills or elevation changes?
3. How many miles do you drive a day, and what kinds of roads (i.e. they keep the highway pretty clear of snow, but not the back roads where it can really accumulate).
4. Are you prepared to buy a set of snow tires if you go 4x2 and it doesn't work out? Could be $1,200...

I'm with Shizzy...I'd never go back to a 2wd vehicle, but I also live in Maine where 4x4 is well worth the money.

·
Registered
176 Posts
4 wheel drive- better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Traction control, ABS and stability control have made 2WD a lot more usable in winter weather than it was a decade or so ago.

A 4WD truck will indeed have higher resale if you decide to trade it in a few years. However, you paid for most of that extra resale up front, when you bought the truck.

If you really don't need 4WD - and don't have any emotional attachment to it - Then there really isn't much point in having it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Where I live if you buy a 2wd, you buy it for life cuz no one else wants it! I myself had 2wd's in my younger years, then my 88 Toyota enlightened me to the marvels of 4wd.. Not a hard core wheeler but do; go off road, see lots of snow, like the option. Its like a spare tire, you may not need it, yea you can tow it, but its great to have when the SHTF. My feeling is "if" you maintain your investment you'll get the xtra money back. These 4x4s only need a few qts of gear oil & ATf for upkeep. Is the initial investment money in limbo? Yes. But you get a good portion of it returned in cash as well as a quik sale. The decision is easily justifiable to me..

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Only reason to get 4x2 is if want 4cyl. Mileage of v-6 won't be much different. In my part of paradise, 4x2 is next to worthless for sale or trade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts