Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.

I live in so. OC and was wondering where the closest OHV areas are to do some off-roading? I think the closest to me is Wildomar off the 74 but that has somewhat narrow trails and is more conducive to motorcycles.

Are there any decent ones nearby or do I have to drive 2+ hours?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
No need for OHV park in a street legal vehicle. Just head on over to Trabuco Canyon and Santiago Peak. Plenty of wheeling to do there.

·
Administrator
7,855 Posts
If you want OHV areas you'll need some travel time. Closest is probably Hungry Valley just south of the Tejon Pass. Best and most area will be Ocotillo Wells State OHV area and beyond that the dunes of Glamis. There are a couple of areas in east county SD as well.
But there are a few good trails up in Trabuco Canyon/Santiago Peak as Glamisdude said.
Also some great trails around Big Bear.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, glamis and Nomad.

Do you get to Santiago Peak by taking Trabuco Creek Rd in the direction of Holy Jim trailhead and make a left into the hills about a 1/4 mile past the model airplane airstrip? If so, that looks pretty narrow...any idea how my buddy's F250 would navigate that trail?

I'm more interested in OHV for wide open areas, so I'll do research of HV and OWS mentioned above.

·
Administrator
7,855 Posts
Stoddard Wells OHV area east of Victorville is great for wide open space too.
Yes, Santiago can get a bit tight in places but there are lots of full size vehicles up there at any given time. You can access it from Santiago Canyon Rd or from Hwy 74

·
Administrator
7,855 Posts
Take El Toro Rd east from the 5 all the way to Cook's Corner. There are usually several hundred Harleys in the lot at the bar. Keep left, El Toro turns into Santiago Canyon RD. About 5 or 6 miles up on the right is Modjeska Grade Rd. Turn right and follow the tiny 2 lane rd through town to a small park/parking lot. Continue up the road from the park and the road will turn into dirt in about a mile. Follow it up the mountain and you'll find the repeater towers and the overlook at the top, the view from here is definitely worth sticking around till dark for! There are a couple of branches that split off of the main trail so try to keep track, otherwise you could end up coming back down on the south side of the hill. It's not a big deal, you'll just run into Hwy 74. If that's the case turn right and it'll take you back towards OC. If you turn left you'll end up in Fallbrook.
I'm sure there are other access points, that's just the way I've always gone up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Nomad. Is this trail more of a fire road or are there some technical spots?

Also, have you been to Wildomar OHV off the 74?

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm in San Clemente so I'm also in SoCal so I'll try to help but forget to check back sometimes. Santiago peak will take you all the way to the top of the mountain that has all the antennas and things on the top. A 250 could do it but would have to be very skilled driver as there are a couple sharp turns and usually run into at least 1 other vehicle.
Also what your talking about aroun the rc airport, all those trails end up dieing not too long after they start. That's also called holly gyms where every teenager in OC has a story from there being stupid haha

What exactly type of terrain are you looking for would also help a bunch

·
Administrator
7,855 Posts
Thanks, Nomad. Is this trail more of a fire road or are there some technical spots?

Also, have you been to Wildomar OHV off the 74?
Mostly fire road-ish though there are a couple little "play" areas with some small steep hills to goof around on. Nothing really technical though. If you catch the right trail coming back down you can get some air on the 30 or 40-odd runoff abatement swails : )

No, haven't been to Wildomar that I know of.

·
Administrator
7,855 Posts
That definitely rules out Santiago then :laugh:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:mrgreen: Let me re-phrase that. I'm o.k. on fire roads and if that's all there is locally, I'm fine with that. I'm just saying that if there's more challenging terrain to learn on, I would ideally want to try it where there's less risk for potential damage.

BTW, did you live in O.C. at some point because I see your location is Vegas?

·
Administrator
7,855 Posts
:mrgreen: Let me re-phrase that. I'm o.k. on fire roads and if that's all there is locally, I'm fine with that. I'm just saying that if there's more challenging terrain to learn on, I would ideally want to try it where there's less risk for potential damage.

BTW, did you live in O.C. at some point because I see your location is Vegas?
Then I'd take a day trip out to Ocotillo. You'll find lots of terrain out there and lots of wide open space to play.

Yes, I moved to Vegas from OC. Moved to OC from SD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts