Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I have an STX and I have an ARB canopy ordered to be fitted in the next couple of weeks. I have heard some conflicting stories about the benefits of a tub liner.
ARB have a spray on liner, Nissan have a drop in liner.
Some say the spray on liner is better, but then I have been warned that if rust gets in the tub, then the first you know about it is the floor drops out.
The Nissan drop in liner at least allows inspection, but then some say it can be a pain to clean, and if the Canopy is on then it is difficult to get it out.
Any comments ort tips from people that have either of the liners would be helpful.
The Navara is used to tow a caravan and for touring, it is not a trade truck. I want the liner to keep the back clean, tidy and looking good. Is it worth it, or
will a big rubber mat in the back be good enough?
Thanks for your advice
Keithaan

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I have the drop in liner and its easy enough to keep clean. However from new there were rusty bolts etc so had to clean all that crap up even before I put in the liner. The biggest issue from drop ins is the fact crap gets in under the liner and rubs the paint off and you end up with a rusty tub.I would have much preferred a spray in but couldnt find anyone to do it and I only paqid I think $200 for my drop in and one of these days I will pull the liner and see what damage is hiding under the cover.
Its a semi decent fit but not a great fit.The tie down rails hold it down nice and tight but the sides do flap around a bit as only the bottem is held in place by the rails..
Word of warning though. Nissan does charge a lot to do the install considering its only takes maybe an hour or so to drop in.
You will have one advantage with the Canopy on and thats as long as they seal that right then there shouldnt be too much water get under the liner.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the Nissan tub liner as well as a rubber mat.

The drop-in tub liner helps reduce knocks and dents in the metal tub. The steel used to form the tubs is pretty thin and would get knocked around pretty quickly if there was no tub liner.

I wouldn't go without the drop-in tub liner.

That being said, the plastic used to form the liner is slipperier than a well greased turd. Fitting a rubber mat on top of the liner was essential for me.

If you aren't using your ute to carry anything that will beat the tub up, then the spray on liner might be an option for you. For my dollar though, I am happy to pull the plastic tub out every couple of years, clean out any mess, and give the steel tub a decent coat of fish oil to prevent any rust problems.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Damm never even thought of the Fish oil and I even have the smellless stuff too

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I will see about getting a drop in liner before the canopy goes on. The fish oil sounds like a good idea.
Keithaan

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a spray in Rhino Liner. It's about 6mm thick sprayed polyurethane and is great. It won't chip or peel off and NOTHING can get under it. It's not slippery like the plastic ones and makes the tray area quieter. I paid about $250 more than a drop in for it. Mines black but you can opt for any colour.
cheers
Steve

·
Registered
239 Posts
I too have Nissan drop in tub liner and use a checker pattern 4mm rubber mat over the floor which makes cleaning very easy and helps keep the load from sliding around on the very slippery Nissan liner. If the rubber mat is not too thick then its easy to lift up if the floor tracks are required to tie a load down.
The canopy should help reduce water getting under the liner, my hard cover does a pretty good job and any water that does leak in usually ends up sitting on the mat anyway..

·
Registered
239 Posts
i would go for the sprayed liner ,if you get the drop in make sure they seal the front corners and holes in the floor first otherwise it willl be full of dust like mine was.
Yes i forgot to mention that too. I sealed mine with some silicon sealant.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Damm never even thought of the Fish oil and I even have the smellless stuff too
Gotta love good old fish oil :)

I haven't done it yet, but in previous vehicleshave done inside chassis rails etc. Fish oil creeps like you wouldn't believe - don't need much and the stuff just keeps on travelling and stopping corrosion in it's tracks.

Back on topic though - personal preference, drop in liner or spray on liner. Whatever floats your boat so to speak.

I've been through a few utes over the years and with any use, the tubs start looking pretty second-hand after a while. The drop in liner stops that in it's tracks. I'm talking knocks and bumps, dents etc.

With the increase of utes being used as "pseudo family cars" however (primarily I guess due to FBT benefits), he tubs don't get as much of a beating as they used to. For people who aren't really using their utes AS utes as such, the spray on liner would give a real pretty result... Won't stop the tub getting dented though.

Back "in the day" most utes had a timber floor in the tub. Mostly we used to replace them with form-ply. It was tough, resilient, and REPLACEABLE when it copped a hiding after a few years. Of course that is back when utes were utes and only really used as such...

So I guess my point is this - if you actually USE your ute, then in my humble opinion the only way to go is drop-in. If you want something real pretty but don't really use your ute for any hard work, spray-on will probably do the job for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice.
I think I will go for the Nissan liner, it is half the price of the ARB Spray on. Fitting it myself means I can do the sealing and fish oil that would not happen if I paid Nissan $150 to install it.
It usually pays to find out from someone who has done it, saves making mistakes.
Thanks again.
Keithaan

·
Registered
182 Posts
the drop in will cover alot of the ribs and joints, so i imagine easier to clean.
i personally would prefer a good thick spray on, but there is nothing here good enough compared to nth american standards, i know you can get a spray on that levels the floor of the tub and is non slip and chemical/oil resistant.
So i revert to the drop in. I carry IBC's (1000L containers) in the back, spill hydraulic oil in it, carry u name it in there, and the drop in just wipes off and degreases with a breeze.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts