Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
I can confirm that the navara D40 eBay rear sway bar kit does fit the USA production trucks (at least with a M226 anyway)
It made a noticeable difference in handling, much improved.
Cost is about half of the hellwig unit and no drilling or welding! Very easy install, took maybe 20-30mins, but the instructions are non-existant.

What is up with your lower shock mount. An extension that turn the mounting bolt 90 degrees.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,096 Posts
What is up with your lower shock mount. An extension that turn the mounting bolt 90 degrees.
Good spot, that is odd.

Recently I noticed my Hellwig bar bushings were bone dry after a couple years and the dirt started grinding the bar down. And that was either super tacky energy suspension lube. I might just trash the whole sway bar idea and go with air bags if the lube all washes away again, its in the absolute worst position right below the axle.
This Navara bar is a million time better in the way that it mounts: no frame drilling, standard end links, bushing behind axle tube. Just no stiffness adjustability or height adjustability. I still would have went with this one over the hellwig.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Good spot, that is odd.

Recently I noticed my Hellwig bar bushings were bone dry after a couple years and the dirt started grinding the bar down. And that was either super tacky energy suspension lube. I might just trash the whole sway bar idea and go with air bags if the lube all washes away again, its in the absolute worst position right below the axle.
This Navara bar is a million time better in the way that it mounts: no frame drilling, standard end links, bushing behind axle tube. Just no stiffness adjustability or height adjustability. I still would have went with this one over the hellwig.
When the leaf spring flexes it causes the axle to move fore and aft slightly. In general that is why the bushing are oriented the way they are. Rotating the mount 90 degrees would eliminate that pivot. THough I do not think that is is a big deal as the top mount still pivots, and the rubber bushings will still allow for flex. The axle will also see side to side play as the rear articulates. That is why you see crawl rigs orient their mounts in that fashion. I wonder which is greater the the front back or side to side ("hands in air") displacement. To me that looks like a rear shock extension. The leaf pack does not look stock. Probably getting more drop that a stock leaf pack.
MaxTrac Suspension® - Lower Shock Extenders (carid.com)
Belltech® - Shock Extension Kit (carid.com)

Sway bar and airbag do completely different things. One reduces body roll and the other increases spring rate and load capacity. I guess an increase in spring force would reduce body roll. Having removed my front sway bar 10 years ago I have no interest in adding one to the rear of the truck. I want my suspension as active as possible. I guess if it was a road only rig it would benefit.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My 5100s were bottoming out, so I put in shock extensions.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,096 Posts
Shock extenders... didn't even know they existed. why didn't you get the proper length 5100s?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Shock extenders... didn't even know they existed. why didn't you get the proper length 5100s?
I added more lift to the rear after I bought the shocks, they only had a couple hundred km on them.
Hindsight is 20/20 lol

Reactions: phatB

·
Registered
71 Posts
Since the Hellwig is a made to order item, saw this one posted. Will it fit a 2WD 2005 Nismo? It has the rear locker so I assume it is the same 226 rear diff as on the 4WD. Just not sure if there is some other difference between the 2WD that would not make this product fit. The eBay listing only says for a 4WD.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Nismo 2WD has the same locking rear diff as the 4WD models. As far as I know, all 4WD trucks have the same locking diff, but I do not know for sure. I have a switch on the dash that allows me to lock the rear diff. From what I have seen posted, it has 16 bolts holding the rear diff cover on, while the other non locking diffs have 8 bolts.

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
All Pro4X (auto and manual trans) and all 6-sp/V6 Frontiers (whether 4x2 or 4x4) no matter the trim level come w/ the M226 rear diff.
Context aside:
Should have added that the original NISMOs (4x2 & 4x4) had the locking M226 rear diff. I would think the ultra-RARE 4x2 Pro4X would have this same locking diff, but I'm not 100% certain.

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
As far as I know, all 4WD trucks have the same locking diff, but I do not know for sure. I have a switch on the dash that allows me to lock the rear diff. From what I have seen posted, it has 16 bolts holding the rear diff cover on, while the other non locking diffs have 8 bolts.
4x4 SE/SV/LE/SL w/ auto trans have the C200 non-locking rear diff.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts