Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
just go to mexico and buy a diesel frontier.. then swap! i dont think anybody has swapped a diesel into a us d22..

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
I dont think the diesel is available in MX either.
On a diesel forum I frequent, some guys have put a Cummins BT4 in small trucks. your states laws are gonna govern that since its an off highway use engine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
here in mexico there are some diesel frontiers. They have an intercooler that sits on top of the engine and has a functional hood scoop. I came across one on an auction website that auctions off wrecked cars/trucks. I was thinking of buying the truck just swap everything over, but couldn't justify taking apart my perfectly running truck for the cool factor of turbo diesel.

·
Registered
443 Posts
they're not called frontier in mexico, they are the np300. Theyre sell them just as work trucks with hardly any options. The engines available are the ka, or diesel. However when i was overthere i saw more diesel than gas. They also have a crew cab 4 banger!

they also have frontier's overthere however they're an upscale pick up, which looks like the one we have here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My bud has a crew cab 4banger with a 5spd tranny. It doesn't have power windows/doors. He says it gets decent gas mileage. I always wondered 4cylinder CC's were available in the states. Why would they not be?

·
Registered
443 Posts
that's pretty cool! We only got 2.4l here.

Kinda ot upcominz, did you import your frontier? or did you buy it ovethere? Im trying to import my truck to Mexico, however thy importing prices are kinda ridiculous.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is just like a curiosity thread. i really didnt have much intent into doing this until i blow the vg up or something. I like in cali but am moving to montana for school and theres no smog there so im prolly gonna b good 2 go if the time ever comes.

honestly the US is stupid for not letting diesel in, better economy and they last longer. Theres really no reason why they say no. Even our domestics sell diesel cars and small trucks in other countries that aren't sold here, its just simply put ridiculous. Id buy a diesel truck over a petrol any day, just for the extra torque and improved mileage. Diesel cars in europe make the f**ing prius look like a gas guzzler.

I say F***k the prius.

if i seem ranting, somebody just told me i am destroying the environment today, and i just sat there and laughed when they couldent explain to me how their prius is going to be less polluting than my mercedes 240d. especially when the batteries in that SOB go flat.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
American and diesels are a funny combination.
You tell someone you drive a diesel, they think slow, smelly, and dirty (black soot everywhere.
That NA diesel chevy put in cars and trucks in the 80s didn't help.
People that keep up with diesels know the above isn't true, but there is still the fun factor that is missing. Your just not going to get a 8000 to 10,000 pound truck to be as fun as a 4000 pound truck.
I have driven diesel cars in Norway, really, they run just like a gas engine car except you use less fuel and that fuel takes less energy to refine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
1fstmax,I brought my truck over but didn't import it. It does cost too much. About a year ago I was quoted $2800 dollars to legalize. From what I here now is its around $1500, but thats still alot. 2yrs ago I imported a toyota 4x4 truck, 94', and it was only $550. That seemed like alot back then, now I wish it was that much. My frontier has the 6month permit and I'm paying insurance in my home state so they don't flag my license b/c of having a plate with no insurance. Ever 6 months I renew my permit.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Looks like prices are still up there. My best quote was for 1400 in tj. I think i have no choice but to pony up the cash.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Its US$20K for a diesel 4x4 NP3000 in Mexico from what I can tell on NISSAN MEXICANA
If your looking at US$20K, plus another US$3K to legalize, your still comparable to a 4x4 frontier in the US.
granted, I dont read spanish so I may be misreading the site. Im also not sure what is actually included with the truck as standard (AC, radio, etc)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Its US$20K for a diesel 4x4 NP3000 in Mexico from what I can tell on NISSAN MEXICANA
If your looking at US$20K, plus another US$3K to legalize, your still comparable to a 4x4 frontier in the US.
granted, I dont read spanish so I may be misreading the site. Im also not sure what is actually included with the truck as standard (AC, radio, etc)
i dont see how you can bring this truck over and drive it here legally.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i dont see how you can bring this truck over and drive it here legally.
You can do it the same way you can bring american cars to mexico. You need a permit and insurance to drive in the US.

·
Registered
443 Posts
You can do it the same way you can bring american cars to mexico. You need a permit and insurance to drive in the US.
Probably... but then again it's just a permit which expire.

To make legal here truck would have to be brought up to US standards (epa&carb), and cali standards(if you live in cali).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts