Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night on Discovery Channel was a rerun of Myth Busters that first aired on Nov 16th. Found this one interesting because they tested the "drive with your tailgate open to increase fuel efficiency” This myth was busted. It actually decreased the gas mileage by like 30mpg. The explanation I don't remember the details of, but something about where the wind gathers in the truck because they way the truck is designed when the tailgate is opened the air "bubble" doesn't gather like it's supposed to and it actually creates more drag on the tailgate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i was actually trying this today I drove down the highway at around 80mph the the tailgate up and was hearing a rumbling noise coming from the back on the way back i did the same thing but with the tailgate down and it was a whole lot smoother ride...

Maybe because it was a smoother ride it felt a little more efficient but down felt pretty good on the truck but what do i know... it might be my imagination.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Jojo.
What I meant to say was that the truck with the tailgate up went another 30 miles before it ran out of gas. That's still a pretty big difference. http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/episode/episode.html
That's the link to Myth Busters, but I can't seem to find the details on the Episode. It was episode #43 if you want to try to find more.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Here is an article on the same tailgate topic:

http://trucktrend.com/features/consumer/163_0506_ww/index.html

The tailgate up helps create a pocket of air which the air flows over and out of the bed. If the tailgate is down, that pocket is gone, and the only thing left is a very tall and sharp wall (the rear part of the cab and front of the bed) causing alot of turbulance (wind curling back towards the cab). The tailgate also helps to stiffen the bed walls when up.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
There was something on this some time back and it was better with the tailgate up.
If you had a bed cover it was even better. If you had a cover that was as tall as the truck cab at the front of the bed and then tapered down to the back of the truck that
was the best.

I do not remember where I saw the comparison, but I think it was on one of the Frontier
forums. Reverendbiker may be able to help on this as I remember he has posted on this subject before.

OkieScot

·
Registered
45 Posts
im sure it depends on what kind of truck your driving also, and if your following a u-haul truck and drafting it, all tailgates are different so who knows just take it off less weight better burnouts, great gas milage!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been running with mine down for some time. Now that I've seen this, I'll quit risking damage to my gate from other vehicles.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
The priciple would be the same no matter what size/shape of the tailgate. Granted
if you slipstream a semi that would help, but it would make the driver a little mad.

OkieScot

Frontizle said:
im sure it depends on what kind of truck your driving also, and if your following a u-haul truck and drafting it, all tailgates are different so who knows just take it off less weight better burnouts, great gas milage!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
OkieScot said:
The priciple would be the same no matter what size/shape of the tailgate. Granted
if you slipstream a semi that would help, but it would make the driver a little mad.

OkieScot

Frontizle said:
Actually, most seem to be resigned to the fact they are our mpg warriors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You guys are mind readers!

I just bought my truck last Friday, and since this is the first truck that I've owned, this is a topic which I was very curious.

Leave it to the Mythbusters to find the answer!

Cheers!
carlo

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah Carlo,
Gotta love those guys. Goofy as all hell, but interseting just the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ya, sounds similar to an article I read (some car mag) about the tailgate myth. They tested trucks with tailgate up, tailgate down and with one of those tailgate nets. Aerodynamically the net was the worst followed by the tailgate down. Tailgate up was the best.
Nice to hear about another legit source claiming tailgate up is the best option since I would never be able to find that article again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts