Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 KC Nismo 2wd bought 10-2020 only 32k!
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Owned a new to me 2005 Nismo Auto 2wd (33k mi) for 6.5 weeks now. About to install a Hitch & find these brackets at the end of the frame rails. Looks like they might have to come off for hitch to go on. Curious if anyone knows their purpose?
TIA

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,954 Posts
Looks like there was a receiver hitch that was removed sometime before you took ownership or never installed. The three bolt holes look very familiar to me. Although mine isn't mounted exactly as those brackets imply...it is mounted with three bolts on each side.
20201121_173347.jpg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
strange, i'm guessing someone already installed some kind of hitch previously? doesn't seem to be any marks on them from bolts though. I'm sure someone will know right away.
a 2005 with only 33k miles on it? wow.
Doesn't appear a hitch was ever installed (no wiring either)& these brackets appear 💯factory but🤷‍♂️...& yes with only 33k on it not much has been touched on this truck, kind of a time capsule. Only thing ever done to it previously was the SMOD bypass on the radiator.

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
Looks like the remains from a universal fit receiver.

Clint

Reactions: Kneesawn85-00-16

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 05 had them also but no hitch or any sign it ever had one.

When I put the hitch on it it butted up to those brackets so I just drilled the holes through the hitch and bolted it all together.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 05 had them also but no hitch or any sign it ever had one.

When I put the hitch on it it butted up to those brackets so I just drilled the holes through the hitch and bolted it all together.
👍I thought about that potential possibility...
When my hitch arrives I will see if they can stay or get in the way

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
All my hitches bolted to the bottom of the frame rails.

Clint

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like the remains from a universal fit receiver.

Clint
Could be...but by observations...

Sure looks like they been there from day one...

No signs of anything mounted to them...

Grease pen mark like every other part on truck...

Commenter after you (1st to chime in having them (also 2005) feels they show signs of being factory as well.

Interesting anyway...glad someone else commented having them & hopefully there will be more & more insight😀

Yeah my hitch will bolt to the bottom of frame with the 3 per side factory weld in nuts as well

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Tie-down brackets for securing the vehicle during shipment to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Were these trucks ever offered without a factory rear bumper?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Probably some assembly line plate that was never removed

Reactions: Nor-Cal-Nismo

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably some assembly line plate that was never removed
The last 3 comments are all great ideas of what they could be...but I think speed demon may have nailed it!
Considering, it makes the most sense & I have a 1st yr made & gots_a_sol is a 1st yr as well...

where in the beginning they may not have removed them or they slipped by without removal

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,954 Posts

(the random wires are for my back up cam, got dark on me before I could tidy them up and had forgotten about it)
Lmao. After I took and before I posted the picture in post #3 I was debating on whether I should or shouldn't mention the alarm siren and tailgate reed switch wires that are showing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is the other side where the grease pen line is swiped across frame & bracket...definitely a factory bracket💯...whatever the purpose

I got my hitch on...I removed the brackets for ease of installation. I could put them back on & even drill/bolt as gots-a-sol did...but my hitch's mounting flanges were a lil askew inward & the brackets would not be flat against the frame as they were

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh the Irony...
Since I am an Americal Male Human...I don't use Instructions...but I do sometimes look at them afterwards as I am throwing em away & this Mystery Bracket (vertical plate) is shown

Reactions: butterman2473
1 - 18 of 18 Posts