Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
OP it sounds like you've done your homework and you know what to do. Don't cheap out and get something that isn't going to work. Be patient and go piece by piece. Personally: I don't see the point of big bumpers for what I do so I got a WAM "hidden" winch carrier. I like it a lot and it's less weight and money than most. I'm DIY some aluminum armor over key components and risking it on the rest. I don't willingly get wild off road, but sometimes adventure takes me down paths that are worse than I was expecting...

As for the suspension, I went w/ PRG house-brand coil-overs, new UCAs and new OME medium leaf packs for the rear. Raine and many other figured everything out years ago and wrote it up as you've likely already discovered.

To me none of the lift options are great. That's just how it is with this truck. You can go cheap and lose travel (which si already quite limited). You can spend $1500-$2000 for slightly improved travel and 2" of lift w/ coil-overs. You can spend maybe $2500+ (?) and do it proper with a Titan swap and get a lot more travel but the fuss of having a rather modified vehicle on your hands. I chose the middle path. There is no wrong answer. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OP it sounds like you've done your homework and you know what to do. Don't cheap out and get something that isn't going to work. Be patient and go piece by piece. Personally: I don't see the point of big bumpers for what I do so I got a WAM "hidden" winch carrier. I like it a lot and it's less weight and money than most. I'm DIY some aluminum armor over key components and risking it on the rest. I don't willingly get wild off road, but sometimes adventure takes me down paths that are worse than I was expecting...

As for the suspension, I went w/ PRG house-brand coil-overs, new UCAs and new OME medium leaf packs for the rear. Raine and many other figured everything out years ago and wrote it up as you've likely already discovered.

To me none of the lift options are great. That's just how it is with this truck. You can go cheap and lose travel (which si already quite limited). You can spend $1500-$2000 for slightly improved travel and 2" of lift w/ coil-overs. You can spend maybe $2500+ (?) and do it proper with a Titan swap and get a lot more travel but the fuss of having a rather modified vehicle on your hands. I chose the middle path. There is no wrong answer. Good luck.
Thanks Trasko, I believe doing the homework is critical, my grandad used to say that being ignorant comes with a price. I'm going to revisit the prg coilovers. There are reason I am looking at bumpers is twofold. One is deer, I cross paths with a lot of deer. Ive been watching this one buck grow up the last three years, from the road. Second is trees. I end up on a lot of 'roads' that are no longer really roads. They are usually lined with trees. Its not just the expense of buying either. Carrying a few hundred extra pounds adds the expense of additional wear on components like wheel hubs and tires for example. Gas mileage is going to go down. The bottom line is for me to continue doing what I want the logical things is I need a different daily driver.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Thanks Trasko, I believe doing the homework is critical, my grandad used to say that being ignorant comes with a price. I'm going to revisit the prg coilovers. There are reason I am looking at bumpers is twofold. One is deer, I cross paths with a lot of deer. Ive been watching this one buck grow up the last three years, from the road. Second is trees. I end up on a lot of 'roads' that are no longer really roads. They are usually lined with trees. Its not just the expense of buying either. Carrying a few hundred extra pounds adds the expense of additional wear on components like wheel hubs and tires for example. Gas mileage is going to go down. The bottom line is for me to continue doing what I want the logical things is I need a different daily driver.
Look at Nisstec and 4x4Parts also for options.
I only say this because you're considering buying from PRG, and although they sell good stuff - there are enough threads elsewhere on this forum already covering the countless customer service issues with PRG.

Also if you haven't yet, learn learn learn by reading this:

And take a look at this too:

More info is good info, and an informed shopper is a better shopper (y)

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Look at Nisstec and 4x4Parts also for options.
I only say this because you're considering buying from PRG, and although they sell good stuff - there are enough threads elsewhere on this forum already covering the countless customer service issues with PRG.

Also if you haven't yet, learn learn learn by reading this:

And take a look at this too:

More info is good info, and an informed shopper is a better shopper (y)
I couldnt agree more with your last sentence. I will take a look at those. I will be ordering parts come September. Raine what is your opinion on the OME coilovers and shocks if I might ask.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Raine what is your opinion on the OME coilovers and shocks if I might ask.
No first-hand experience in a 2nd-gen Frontier on OME, but all the Toyotas I've been in that run OME (Tacomas, FJs, 4Runners, Fortuners), the ride is nice. Completely capable off-road as expected as well. OME suspension packages are proven... the only cons I've heard are that they don't lift that high, there's no height adjustment, and that they're yellow (lol).

Reactions: bigwilliestyle

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some windshield brush wires would be cheap, but helpful with tree limbs if you're in them a lot.

It would take a lot of extra fuel to service the debt on another vehicle for a daily driver. The Frontiers daily drive just fine with everything loaded minus a few mpg.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Some windshield brush wires would be cheap, but helpful with tree limbs if you're in them a lot.

It would take a lot of extra fuel to service the debt on another vehicle for a daily driver. The Frontiers daily drive just fine with everything loaded minus a few mpg.
Thanks for the tip on the brush wires, never heard of them. I drive 100 miles round trip daily, Ive put 100000 miles on that truck in three years two months. Three miles to the gallon will add up. It wont buy a new vehicle but I want to transition to the trucks miles being excursions anyway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the brush wires, never heard of them. I drive 100 miles round trip daily, Ive put 100000 miles on that truck in three years two months. Three miles to the gallon will add up. It wont buy a new vehicle but I want to transition to the trucks miles being excursions anyway.
Understood. At that type of commute, and the miles on the truck, a small car makes sense.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts