Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm developing an upgrade plan for my fronty and in doing so I have developed several questions I need to find answer to. I tend to be somewhat OCD about things and find there to be a right way and a wrong way to do things without much gray area. Great philosophy except sometimes it makes stuff complicated. This is a little circular so please bear with me. So without further ado:

1) Suspension:
I would like two inches of lift in the front and maybe 1 1/2 in the rear. I will be upgrading to aftermarket UCA and the camber bolts. I've come to the conclusion that spacers are not the right way for me to go. I dont want to give up suspension travel. That said for the front I like Radflo but am having trouble justifying the expense. Most of my off-road time is really on roads, they are just crappy old logging roads, forestry service roads, things like that. Bilsteins (5125's?) seem like the ticket but my understanding is by compressing the coil over I will still give up travel if I go this route and two inch lift. Is this correct? Do I have any other coil over options that will give me two inches in the front without the loss of travel and without the 1000 dollar price tag. I also need to keep in mind an armor/bumper upgrade and possible sag so will I need heavier springs? For the rear I will be using AAL.

2) Armor:
I have been fortunate thus far.While I am not rock crawling I end up on a lot of rutted out mud roads and I think under armor is necessary. I'm liking Shrockworks skid plates. I'm also liking the White Knuckle rock sliders. So lets say I add a full compliment of Shrockworks skid plates for radiator, engine, tansmission, transfer case, and fuel tank, and the white knuckle rock sliders, is this enough weight to justify upgrading the springs to a heavier duty?

3) Bumpers:
I want to upgrade bumpers. I'm finding it hard to justify something as heavy as a Shrockworks which is what I really want. I'm not sure I would need a winch. I'm interested in doing some more technical trails but I'm not sure I can justify the weight nor the expense of a winch ready bumper. That said I have been considering Dezert Runner Pre Runner style bumper. Are these bumpers heavy enough to require a spring upgrade when coupled with the skid plates and sliders? What other bumper options are there in the 500-700 dollar range ( I can paint them myself )? Ive been looking and I think I find the rock auto bull bars look good they are not really a protection upgrade like I want so something between the Shrockworks (did I mention thats the bumper I really like) and the rock auto bull bars is what I am looking for.

Decisions decisions. I appreciate the input folks. Now. Let the discussions begin.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
#1 no input

#2, look in to HeftyFabworks aluminum skids. I have these and would go that way again if given the choice. If I lived out west and was on the rocks more, sure, steel would be a better choice, but for Daily use here in MN, Aluminum is the way to go.

#3, do you simply want to upgrade for reasons or to mount a winch or? I have a Wam bumpers winch plate and winch and still have the OEM plastic bumper. It has served me fine. If I ever hit something or rip the bumper off wheeling, then I'll replace it, but, it has served me fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As for #1 I went with a 2" spacer because you don't lose much suspension travel. Top spacers just move the shock down, lifting the truck. The amount of travel is close to the same. Adjustable uca's will help maintain the wheel travel.

Using the shock to lift 2" will cause a crappy ride. You need the down travel that you will lose to help with the ride. This thread was very helpful for me. Travel Numbers

For the rear I highly recommend an add a leaf for lift over a spacer or shackle.

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
I'm developing an upgrade plan for my fronty and in doing so I have developed several questions I need to find answer to. I tend to be somewhat OCD about things and find there to be a right way and a wrong way to do things without much gray area. Great philosophy except sometimes it makes stuff complicated. This is a little circular so please bear with me. So without further ado:

1) Suspension:
I would like two inches of lift in the front and maybe 1 1/2 in the rear. I will be upgrading to aftermarket UCA and the camber bolts. I've come to the conclusion that spacers are not the right way for me to go. I dont want to give up suspension travel. That said for the front I like Radflo but am having trouble justifying the expense. Most of my off-road time is really on roads, they are just crappy old logging roads, forestry service roads, things like that. Bilsteins (5125's?) seem like the ticket but my understanding is by compressing the coil over I will still give up travel if I go this route and two inch lift. Is this correct? Do I have any other coil over options that will give me two inches in the front without the loss of travel and without the 1000 dollar price tag. I also need to keep in mind an armor/bumper upgrade and possible sag so will I need heavier springs? For the rear I will be using AAL.

2) Armor:
I have been fortunate thus far.While I am not rock crawling I end up on a lot of rutted out mud roads and I think under armor is necessary. I'm liking Shrockworks skid plates. I'm also liking the White Knuckle rock sliders. So lets say I add a full compliment of Shrockworks skid plates for radiator, engine, tansmission, transfer case, and fuel tank, and the white knuckle rock sliders, is this enough weight to justify upgrading the springs to a heavier duty?

3) Bumpers:
I want to upgrade bumpers. I'm finding it hard to justify something as heavy as a Shrockworks which is what I really want. I'm not sure I would need a winch. I'm interested in doing some more technical trails but I'm not sure I can justify the weight nor the expense of a winch ready bumper. That said I have been considering Dezert Runner Pre Runner style bumper. Are these bumpers heavy enough to require a spring upgrade when coupled with the skid plates and sliders? What other bumper options are there in the 500-700 dollar range ( I can paint them myself )? Ive been looking and I think I find the rock auto bull bars look good they are not really a protection upgrade like I want so something between the Shrockworks (did I mention thats the bumper I really like) and the rock auto bull bars is what I am looking for.

Decisions decisions. I appreciate the input folks. Now. Let the discussions begin.
1. Sounds like you did your homework (good) and I bet you already know you need coilovers based on your requirements, but you haven't accepted the fact that you will have to pay the price of proper coilovers to get what you're looking for. Nisstec has some other coilovers available that might appeal to you if RadFlo's don't. Coilovers are the answer to your needs, especially the part where you have to accommodate a future bumper upgrade.

Pass on 2" top hat spacer (especially if you're 4WD). If you reach full down travel you could easily push your axle joint to an angle beyond what it was designed to do.
Pass on 2" coil spring spacer. You lose travel, but you already know this.

AAL rear is fine unless you're doing heavy hauling, I'd recommend a pair of Bilsteins for the rear in place of stock shocks.

2. If you go steel with the armor, it's going to add a lot of weight. If you go aluminum, it will cost more and add not as much (but still add) weight. You'll need to upgrade the front spring to compensate correctly.

3. You don't sound sure about a bumper upgrade, and it sounds like the same reason as #1 - budget.

--------

Figure out first if you want to spend the right amount of money to get what you want, if not - change what you want based on what you are willing to spend.

4. Your wife is right :LOL:

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
1. Nisstec and ADO both sell basic 2" lift kits. Thats how mine started was a 2" top spacer, flipped U bolts and SPC UCA, I actually did quite a bit of off-roading with that setup, including harder rock crawling.

2. Hefty Fabworks for their sliders, they aren't just for trail protection, if you ever get T-boned they could be a life saver. I have full Hefty steel skid plates, I kinda wish I had done aluminum, just couldn't justify the extra cost.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. Sounds like you did your homework (good) and I bet you already know you need coilovers based on your requirements, but you haven't accepted the fact that you will have to pay the price of proper coilovers to get what you're looking for. Nisstec has some other coilovers available that might appeal to you if RadFlo's don't. Coilovers are the answer to your needs, especially the part where you have to accommodate a future bumper upgrade.

Pass on 2" top hat spacer (especially if you're 4WD). If you reach full down travel you could easily push your axle joint to an angle beyond what it was designed to do.
Pass on 2" coil spring spacer. You lose travel, but you already know this.

AAL rear is fine unless you're doing heavy hauling, I'd recommend a pair of Bilsteins for the rear in place of stock shocks.

2. If you go steel with the armor, it's going to add a lot of weight. If you go aluminum, it will cost more and add not as much (but still add) weight. You'll need to upgrade the front spring to compensate correctly.

3. You don't sound sure about a bumper upgrade, and it sounds like the same reason as #1 - budget.

--------

Figure out first if you want to spend the right amount of money to get what you want, if not - change what you want based on what you are willing to spend.

4. Your wife is right :LOL:
Raine thanks for the reply. I figure it like this, I can plan and do it right or I can buy a bunch of stuff for a lift then say gee none of that will matter once I add 500 pounds to it. My wife gets it, still drives her nuts hehe. I'm going to look around nisstec some more because yeah everything I have read screams coil overs.
I figured the armor alone would put me up into hd territory. Thinking about it I may as well plan on a set of springs for the rear. I do plan on towing a camper.
As for the bumper I am 100% sure I am going to do so its just a matter of what bumper, rear too for that matter. I dont mind the expenditure if it makes sense. For me it all comes down to will I use a winch as to which bumper I buy.

Another bumper option, about $800 to $900 is ARB, with or without winch option. Hefty also makes a tube bumper.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
CF Thanks. I'm going to look. I want to start stock piling parts so I can do this work over the winter and do it all at once. Every bit o info helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm developing an upgrade plan for my fronty and in doing so I have developed several questions I need to find answer to. I tend to be somewhat OCD about things and find there to be a right way and a wrong way to do things without much gray area. Great philosophy except sometimes it makes stuff complicated.
I am right there with you on the OCD thing. That mindset got me in trouble with my autocross Eagle talon build that is now so heavily modified I cant run it in the class I wanted to and now have way too much money dumped into it, all because I wanted it done right.... So for my Frontier I am trying hard to keep things toned down a bit... That said I am really looking at doing a modified/low tone Titan swap. I really like the concept of gaining the lift and wheel travel at the same time. But like you my off roading isn't too hardcore (I have polaris RZRs for that) so I don't think the full front diff swap will be necessary for what I will be doing, Mostly fire road out to where I will be shooting. I am looking at oem Titan upper and lower control arms, tundra coilovers and springs appropriate for the lift and travel. Still doing the research but 2-3 inches of lift and 7-8" of total travel should be fine with me. If i have read things correctly that combination is easily possible. I am 4wd so I will probably be using QX85 CV shafts. The rear end is my big hang up on this lift. I don't really like the idea of using wheel spacers but from the looks of it that is the only cost effective way of getting the rear out almost as wide as the front. That said I am still looking at options... Maybe an Alldogs or Dobinsons lift.

As for armor and bumpers I haven't done much looking into them yet.

Mike.

·
Registered
503 Posts
If as you said, you don't mind spending the money if it’s justified. Well you answered your own questions. If you are as OCD as you say, if you don’t make preparations and go all the way, you will 2nd guess yourself FOREVER. Get the bumper and winch, it’s like insurance for off-roadin, rathe have it and NOT need it,,,,, and prepare for the weight with correct suspension. When you leave the pavement, you need to be prepared for the worst, always remember, you gotta drive it home lol

·
Super Moderator
10,403 Posts
We are guys, to our wives we’re ALWAYS wrong, haha.

Clint

Reactions: loudly_dowrong

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you want it done right the first time then the coil overs are the way to go or just use that money for a TS.

King makes some great ones. The budget PRG coilovers seem pretty nice to. If I were not planning a Titan Swap in the future I would of gone the coilover route as well. I couldn't justify buying coilovers just to take them off in a year or so to do the TS.

P&P Engineering has some nice armor for our trucks. I really like their bumper designs, but they are $$$.

If your OCD is that bad you won't be happy without a TS. At least that's what I have read from just about everyone. lol

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am right there with you on the OCD thing. That mindset got me in trouble with my autocross Eagle talon build that is now so heavily modified I cant run it in the class I wanted to and now have way too much money dumped into it, all because I wanted it done right.... So for my Frontier I am trying hard to keep things toned down a bit... That said I am really looking at doing a modified/low tone Titan swap. I really like the concept of gaining the lift and wheel travel at the same time. But like you my off roading isn't too hardcore (I have polaris RZRs for that) so I don't think the full front diff swap will be necessary for what I will be doing, Mostly fire road out to where I will be shooting. I am looking at oem Titan upper and lower control arms, tundra coilovers and springs appropriate for the lift and travel. Still doing the research but 2-3 inches of lift and 7-8" of total travel should be fine with me. If i have read things correctly that combination is easily possible. I am 4wd so I will probably be using QX85 CV shafts. The rear end is my big hang up on this lift. I don't really like the idea of using wheel spacers but from the looks of it that is the only cost effective way of getting the rear out almost as wide as the front. That said I am still looking at options... Maybe an Alldogs or Dobinsons lift.

As for armor and bumpers I haven't done much looking into them yet.

Mike.
You and I could be kin lol. I find it easy to see how I need this means that that. I actually started this endeavor looking at rough country lifts. I think the titan swap is a little more than I need.
If as you said, you don't mind spending the money if it’s justified. Well you answered your own questions. If you are as OCD as you say, if you don’t make preparations and go all the way, you will 2nd guess yourself FOREVER. Get the bumper and winch, it’s like insurance for off-roadin, rathe have it and NOT need it,,,,, and prepare for the weight with correct suspension. When you leave the pavement, you need to be prepared for the worst, always remember, you gotta drive it home lol
I was looking at a Rough Country lift and looking at bumpers and armor is what made me take another look at the suspension. I started considering the weight and knew I needed to rethink this. I was also tossing around and being prepared for the worst. I think I drew the conclusion this morning I am getting the winch. Great comment, thank you.
We are guys, to our wives we’re ALWAYS wrong, haha.

Clint
Aint that the truth Clint!

If you want it done right the first time then the coil overs are the way to go or just use that money for a TS.

King makes some great ones. The budget PRG coilovers seem pretty nice to. If I were not planning a Titan Swap in the future I would of gone the coilover route as well. I couldn't justify buying coilovers just to take them off in a year or so to do the TS.

P&P Engineering has some nice armor for our trucks. I really like their bumper designs, but they are $$$.

If your OCD is that bad you won't be happy without a TS. At least that's what I have read from just about everyone. lol
For me the OCD is about the right setup not necessarily the max. Every piece of the puzzle fitting. I like the idea of a titan swap but I think its more than I need and definately more than I want to do to this truck. I may find another truck down the road and do it but for this build I think I have decided on the coil overs.

@raine In your sig is the NAME the name of your truck? I name mine too. I'm like BB King, all of my trucks are named Betsy.

I guess I can start a build thread now. Here is what I decided:
Front Suspension will be radflo with 700 pund coil overs with PRG UCA and camber bolts
Rear suspension will be OME Dakar
Bumper: I havent decided but it will be steel and winch Its between the Shrockworks and Dezert Runner, I like both. I think the Shrockworks would be more advantageous in a truck vs. deer collision which is partially driving the bumper upgrade.
Sliders: White Knuckle
Under Armor: Shrockworks

Thanks for helping me think this through.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If you live in a city with parallel parking... get the bumpers (or at least rear)! Shrockworks make a great steel one! You can get it too without lights and sensors for 800..... this will last the lifetime and more on the truck! I have the WK sliders too and they are also great for protection. Recently just added some grip tape to the top of them during foggy/wet days

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you live in a city with parallel parking... get the bumpers (or at least rear)! Shrockworks make a great steel one! You can get it too without lights and sensors for 800..... this will last the lifetime and more on the truck! I have the WK sliders too and they are also great for protection. Recently just added some grip tape to the top of them during foggy/wet days
Is your rear bumper a Shrockworks? I'm wondering about the rear, I have a hitch receiver have been wondering about bumper fitment with that. And honestly on the topic of wenches it seems in my situation a wench I can put on the rear would be just as useful, if not more so than one on the front, and the receiver I would think might be a good place.

·
Registered
2010 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
5 Posts
Is your rear bumper a Shrockworks? I'm wondering about the rear, I have a hitch receiver have been wondering about bumper fitment with that. And honestly on the topic of wenches it seems in my situation a wench I can put on the rear would be just as useful, if not more so than one on the front, and the receiver I would think might be a good place.
A wench, you say? 😁 More seriously, there are some rear bumper designs that incorporate a hitch receiver on a steel bumper (also moves the trailer plug up to the bumper) to give you more clearance. Then you could use the receiver to mount whatever. I know I've seen one from WAM.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A wench, you say? 😁 More seriously, there are some rear bumper designs that incorporate a hitch receiver on a steel bumper (also moves the trailer plug up to the bumper) to give you more clearance. Then you could use the receiver to mount whatever. I know I've seen one from WAM.
WAM has a pretty awesome rear bumper going on.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
YUP! and LOVE IT !!! I went with the Rigid led's and they are amazing when its dark outside! Also did the reverse sensor/sonar cut outs... overall i think its worth every penny and some

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
YUP! and LOVE IT !!! I went with the Rigid led's and they are amazing when its dark outside! Also did the reverse sensor/sonar cut outs... overall i think its worth every penny and some
I'm liking the looks of their stuff. What was your wait time?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm liking the looks of their stuff. What was your wait time?
well looking at my emails... kinda long.... bought in end of Sept '18 and got it in March '19.... but again.... the thing is a beast.... nothing is going to damage this plated steel.... if it does.... you have bigger problems to worry about.... i feel WAY safer living in SF and having this on my truck... within the first month of having it... someone hit me and just took off a little of the powder coat... their headlight assembly was on the ground to give some perspective.... trying to get my truck plated metal on all side... got the back and sides done... now just the front

1 - 20 of 28 Posts