Nissan Frontier Forum banner

My Volant Install - 2010 (125406) - Pics

10K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  trox 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.. I figured I would post up pictures of my Volant install.. This was on my 2010, and was the 125406 kit for the 2009-2010 model with the Powercore filter..

Volant removed the horn bracket and ram air scoop from this kit.. Instead of the horn bracket, they provide two holes for mounting the factory bracket. Unfortunately, I dont think anyone at Volant actually verified that this would work -- or if they did, they don't tell you how to make it work. As you can tell from the picture, the holes are located right next to the headlight harness:

What I ended up doing was what renofrontier did with his.. I removed one of the horns from the bracket and wedged it between the Volant box and the headlight.. Then, reversed the position of the bracket so that the other one was kind of angled around the box. Its not pretty, but it works -- and was the only possible way I could come up with for getting the horns and the box in there. If I had more time and patience, I would have relocated them and extended the wires -- but, I didn't.

The rest are just some pictures of the install -- really doesn't look any different than what others have already posted..

Tie-wrapped breather tube from diff

Tight up against the brake lines from the ABS controller

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I guess you just looked at the pictures and didn't read what I posted..

Volant removed the horn bracket and ram air scoop from this kit..
The reason they did this is because the area where the scoop goes is now blocked on the 2010.. A portion of the condenser blocks where it went on the 2008 and earlier Frontiers.. Additionally, there is also a plastic panel next to that part of the condenser that completely blocks off the front. The reason I mentioned the part number in the title is because this is the new 12540/125406 kit for the 2009-2010 models.

If I had more time and patience, I would have relocated them and extended the wires -- but, I didn't.
Anyway, none of it is relevant as of now anyway -- I ended up removing the Volant from the truck and put the stock air box back on. While the Volant sounds great initially, it started to get on my nerves after driving the truck around quite a bit today.. I tried plugging the hole, and while that reduced some of the sound, the engine started sounding like it was being starved for air.. I will likely be posting it up in the FS forum at some point in the near future.

Rick

#4 ·
i did read....didnt see where it said "i took pics without the front scoop on"...horn - guess i was thinking it would take less time than to try to make it fit to Volants holes. heck, you gotta drill out the holes they have anyways...its not a 5 minute fast-food install...takes time to get the ryhme.

as for sound - i felt the same way at first - too loud for my son to sleep....now i love the punch it gives and the sound is only there when i hammer the skinny pedal (which is more often than i care to divulge)

#5 ·
Ooops.. You replied after I edited my last post.. Basically, 2010 has nowhere to put the ram air horn without modifying the front plastic, and even still, would be partially blocked by the condenser..

#8 ·
^The Volant is one of the quieter CAIs; doubt there was any "starvation" since the stock box breathes through the same hole in the fender and a panel filter.
Annoying is the Nismo CAI I have now; swappin' to Volant :laugh:

btw. 08's have the AC condenser canister there too.
my 07 has the condenser as well, but the forced air is still better than no air. i have maybe a 1/2" which the air gets into the intake...still not bad at 60mph

#10 ·
Anotherwords, the volant intake system is crap.

I read so much issues with them... error codes, oxygen sensor damage, poor built quality, not standard install, and even worse performance.

Stick a K&N filter in and you'll get all the benefit you need from air flow. Want to go faster? Mash the gas pedal harder and you will go faster than anyone on the road.

#12 · (Edited)
Anotherwords, the volant intake system is crap.

I read so much issues with them....
^I wouldn't go that far... >7/10 guys with CAIs are running Volants, so naturally there is alotta feedback regarding them.
I've had issues with my Nismo CAI for a while...

RickNY: the 05'+ guys have to pop that cover off for the scoop anyway.

#11 ·
Alright.. I took a picture for you to see whats going on with the 2010 in addition to the condenser canister, and why Volant doesn't ship the ram air scoop with this particular kit (12540/125406 for 2009-2010s)

Yes, I suppose if you wanted to use the ram air scoop, you could remove or modify that plastic piece and order the 12640/126406 kit for the 05-08s.

Rick

#14 · (Edited)
Before I installed mine (05-08 model) I went to the dealership and checked to see if there was a difference between mine and the 10. I didn't look at the plastic shroud that needs to be removed or altered, but the rest was the same. The accumulator (cylinder) and the tubes were located in the same spots. Yes it blocks most of the ram horn intake.

Your brake lines are different from mine though. Honestly it looks like Volant didn't even look at a newer truck.

One of the mounting holes matched (top one). I had to dremel the other two and not use the lock washer on the bottom mount. The rest of their system installed without a hitch. The horns are a different story. Sounds like a dying giraffe. I should have listened to the groups experiences and just relocated them at the time. Will be relocating them next week.

Haven't really noticed the intake noise until I hit the accelerator.

But on the same day I installed a Banks system and its drowning out everything. That's my issue right now. Retrain my driving habits to reduce drone.

Edit: Apparently I am slow at this, noticed your pic you posted after I posted. It is the same shroud.

#16 ·
...The horns are a different story. Sounds like a dying giraffe. I should have listened to the groups experiences and just relocated them at the time. Will be relocating them next week...
^did mine Sun. Extended the wires and fab'd a new mount..

^seems louder threre..

#17 ·
look at the injen.....i have and i am very happy with it. none of the install issues of volant. you dont touch the horn at all

#18 ·
On my 09 I just took the black plastic piece out like you was talking about, and put the ram around the condenser.. The plastic piece comes out easy.. And I agree with the other guys, it's definitely not starving for air.. The volants are very good systems.. As far as trouble with volants on the frontiers I never had 1 problem outta mine at all... I ran volant on my explorer sport also with 0 problems. And both were in very good condition from the factory, high quality, and sturdy..

#22 ·
Right -- and you got a ram air attachment with your kit I am assuming.. The r 125406 for the 2009-2010 does not come with the ram air. Instead, it is like the CAI for the Xterras -- just that hole in the engine compartment sucking up nce hot engine compartment air.

#19 ·
I spoke with my dealer about CAI while I was getting my oil change.

Dealer reports people have had issues (namely oxygen sensor damage and engine lights) due to "VOLANT" CAI installs. THE TECHS STATES THESE PROBLEMS ARE USUALLY DUE TO INCORRECT INSTALL.

Lastly, I was told that if a dealer installs a NISMO CAI (nissan labor and nissan part), there will be NO issues with warranty.

Bottom line: If you have a fairly new truck (which should be everyone gen 2...hopefully everyone here got the extended warranty...) and are concerned with warranty, ONLY GET THE NISMO CAI AND ONLY GET IT INSTALLED AT YOUR DEALER. On a note, it is not recommended to install such mods on newer vehicles (less than 20k miles).

#20 ·
Crazy that the Nissan dealer wants to install a Nismo intake.....

My Volant for my 05 is on the way. Everything I read about it has me pretty excited to install it.

#23 ·
I have had my Volant CAI on for almost a month. It fit very snug in the engine compartment. However still very easy install, no more then 45 minutes. I did not relocate the horns though, I just took them off the bracket and they are loose between the air box and front light. They still work so I could care less, eventually i will do a horn mod anyways maybe like a firetruck horn or something, that will make you crap your pants :). Anyways I have no problems with it what so ever. This is the first CAI I have ever installed on my vehicle, cuz of that extended warranty thing. I did not buy a Nissan Extended Warranty cuz stealerships warranties are garbage. So I called my extended warranty center (Mercury Insurance Group) they said I could change anything on my truck that was wear and tear cuz they do not cover it anyways and anything that does not have a moving part. I asked like the intake tube and filter. They said yes. I said what about exhaust. They said that is fine. How about suspension they stated we and no other extended warranty covers these things. Your manufacture warranty will but not the extended. So not sure about Nissan extended warranty but I bet they do not cover the tube and filter for your intake. As long as you install it correctly it will not hurt the engine. I think it even states on the box do not over oil or it will cause damage. It is not rocket science people. Also, after about 4k rpm is when it gets loud. Not sure about you but I can feel the difference as well as hear it. My friends as well as my mom are jealous. Cannot wait to put the exhaust on. I could not pass up the deal when i bought it ($200.00 shipped to my door 10k miles on the filter, it was time for its first bath) I love it, my .02

#25 ·
have to agree with Mandangalo on this subject!

i had the earlier model Volant with the horn (didnt realize that there was gonna be a newer model coming out for my '10) and had nothing but install & fit issues

i sold it to a guy in work and bought an Injen and took a little over an hour start to finish and love it - now that is almost spring here i am driving with the windows down and when i step on it i really hear the vacuum sound from under the hood

Injen CAI & my Gibson s/s exhaust makes me 1 happy boy :laugh:

#28 ·
I installed mine yesterday. Fit great and I love it! Had to muscle it a bit to get the bolt holes to line up but didn't have to dremel the holes at all. Put a drain hole in it and called it a day. Easy install!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.