Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Anotherwords, the volant intake system is crap.

I read so much issues with them... error codes, oxygen sensor damage, poor built quality, not standard install, and even worse performance.

Stick a K&N filter in and you'll get all the benefit you need from air flow. Want to go faster? Mash the gas pedal harder and you will go faster than anyone on the road.

Seems the newer models don't work so well with these intakes, I've had zero issues with my volant with the exception of relocating the horns (big deal), and while the performance adding factor is still to be proven and disproven by an independant dyno, saving money over throwaway filters is always nice, and there was a thread on here where some guy proved that he actualy got a cooler intake air temperature as opposed to stock

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
On my 09 I just took the black plastic piece out like you was talking about, and put the ram around the condenser.. The plastic piece comes out easy.. And I agree with the other guys, it's definitely not starving for air.. The volants are very good systems.. As far as trouble with volants on the frontiers I never had 1 problem outta mine at all... I ran volant on my explorer sport also with 0 problems. And both were in very good condition from the factory, high quality, and sturdy..
Right -- and you got a ram air attachment with your kit I am assuming.. The r 125406 for the 2009-2010 does not come with the ram air. Instead, it is like the CAI for the Xterras -- just that hole in the engine compartment sucking up nce hot engine compartment air.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had my Volant CAI on for almost a month. It fit very snug in the engine compartment. However still very easy install, no more then 45 minutes. I did not relocate the horns though, I just took them off the bracket and they are loose between the air box and front light. They still work so I could care less, eventually i will do a horn mod anyways maybe like a firetruck horn or something, that will make you crap your pants :). Anyways I have no problems with it what so ever. This is the first CAI I have ever installed on my vehicle, cuz of that extended warranty thing. I did not buy a Nissan Extended Warranty cuz stealerships warranties are garbage. So I called my extended warranty center (Mercury Insurance Group) they said I could change anything on my truck that was wear and tear cuz they do not cover it anyways and anything that does not have a moving part. I asked like the intake tube and filter. They said yes. I said what about exhaust. They said that is fine. How about suspension they stated we and no other extended warranty covers these things. Your manufacture warranty will but not the extended. So not sure about Nissan extended warranty but I bet they do not cover the tube and filter for your intake. As long as you install it correctly it will not hurt the engine. I think it even states on the box do not over oil or it will cause damage. It is not rocket science people. Also, after about 4k rpm is when it gets loud. Not sure about you but I can feel the difference as well as hear it. My friends as well as my mom are jealous. Cannot wait to put the exhaust on. I could not pass up the deal when i bought it ($200.00 shipped to my door 10k miles on the filter, it was time for its first bath) I love it, my .02

·
Registered
325 Posts
Right -- and you got a ram air attachment with your kit I am assuming.. The r 125406 for the 2009-2010 does not come with the ram air. Instead, it is like the CAI for the Xterras -- just that hole in the engine compartment sucking up nce hot engine compartment air.
Pretty dumb that they don't plug up that hole, makes the CAI useless.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
have to agree with Mandangalo on this subject!

i had the earlier model Volant with the horn (didnt realize that there was gonna be a newer model coming out for my '10) and had nothing but install & fit issues

i sold it to a guy in work and bought an Injen and took a little over an hour start to finish and love it - now that is almost spring here i am driving with the windows down and when i step on it i really hear the vacuum sound from under the hood

Injen CAI & my Gibson s/s exhaust makes me 1 happy boy :laugh:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I installed mine yesterday. Fit great and I love it! Had to muscle it a bit to get the bolt holes to line up but didn't have to dremel the holes at all. Put a drain hole in it and called it a day. Easy install!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.