Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Have you check your ball joints? Alignment? Idler arm? Steering box?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The bull bar is aluminum @ about 40lbs.

And I pretty sure that someone with half their truck done with bedliner shouldn't be makin fun of someone elses truck.:laugh:
enlighten me as to how this is a good comeback?

how many time have you been nominated for TOTM? yeah.... thats what i thought, the people have spoken

·
Registered
556 Posts
Okay kids, enough.

I'm with some of the above posts questioning steering components. Worn balljoints, TREs, centerlink pivots, etc will cause strange issues with steering.

If you think you have it bad, try driving with a Detroit locker and and LSD front on snow and ice. Better stay on the ball because the truck wants to go everywhere but straight!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I try and expain:

When I put my Frontier in 4WD in snow or slush its like I have skis in the front. My truck seems like she is pulling from side to side and is worse when there is a load on the engine (up hill or under accel) It seems like something is slipping or not enguaging right but I don't hear any clunking or anything. Could there be somethiing wrong with my stock hubs or my CV joints? Also I have a driveline vibration when I'm in 4WD and I'm thinking this may have something to do with the problem.

I have a 3" suspension lift and excellent , studded, winter tires.
I have the same problem. I have been thinking it's the tires (Goodyear duratrac's) but exactly the same issue when the engine us under load up a gentile hill in packed snow or? It makes a clunk sound and breaks traction.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was driveng today on ice and snow for the first time with a 4x4 truck. I was only on 2wd. It is something to get use to. You cant go anywhere fast. I have some new BF KO2. It is a test for me to make the winter on 4 seasons tire. If i dont like it, I have some studed tires that I can but on. I used 4wd in snow before and it was not that bad. Keep in mind that it is not a AWD truck. Your back and front wheels are kinda fighting eachother for traction while cornering. Maybe it is just me but are you able to control it? Could you get use to it? If not, might be time to check for steering components.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would suggest a complete inspection of the front end if its as bad as it seems including wheel bearings. Just remember 4x4 basically adds fwd to a rear wheel drive truck. Hear me out for a minute.
Fwd cars tend to understeer on dry pavement, add at or below freezing temp it get worse as you have 2 inputs (forward and steering) fighting for the limited traction. How this applies to a 4x4 is the same principle.

That being said, i have 3 winters in my 4x4 crew cab. I have noticed that it likes to follow any ruts bad. (Was running 235/75/15 for 2 winters and now i am running 31x10 5 duratracs). If it is wandering and not following ruts then i would put the nose in the air and do a once over on the front end. Don't even have to take the wheels off.

There was mention of low speed wandering but straight when at speed. When i have that symptom its because my wheel bearings have exessive play. Have yet to figure out why they get sloppy but its a good excuse for me to clean and grease em up.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
I have the same problem. I have been thinking it's the tires (Goodyear duratrac's) but exactly the same issue when the engine us under load up a gentile hill in packed snow or? It makes a clunk sound and breaks traction.
Is this with the VDC turned off? Are you sure it's breaking traction and not pulling throttle / working the brakes? With Duratracs, the VDC off and in 4wd, on a snowy hill in the city, your truck should be like a mountain goat.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts