Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try and expain:

When I put my Frontier in 4WD in snow or slush its like I have skis in the front. My truck seems like she is pulling from side to side and is worse when there is a load on the engine (up hill or under accel) It seems like something is slipping or not enguaging right but I don't hear any clunking or anything. Could there be somethiing wrong with my stock hubs or my CV joints? Also I have a driveline vibration when I'm in 4WD and I'm thinking this may have something to do with the problem.

I have a 3" suspension lift and excellent , studded, winter tires.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If your tires are wide you get the ski effect go to a narrow tire for snow and youll be better. i have the stk 265/65r17's and its gets the same way untill i hit snow more than 3 inces. plus these trucks are nose heavy

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comment but it seems like something more than that. Last night it my truck was almost uncontrolable. A little scarey.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
How much thread do you haev left on those BF's. I rather drive a 2wd car with snow tires than a 4wd truck with bad tires.

How often do you use your 4wd. Do you know it works. Do you offroad your truck? 3inch lift is maxing out the angle of your CV's.

·
Registered
395 Posts
How much thread do you haev left on those BF's. I rather drive a 2wd car with snow tires than a 4wd truck with bad tires.

How often do you use your 4wd. Do you know it works. Do you offroad your truck? 3inch lift is maxing out the angle of your CV's.
i was told that our nissans have great CV joints?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Keep in mind your front diff is totally open. So, if you are only driving one wheel at the time, you'll feel it in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My first Frontier was a first gen and it did horrible in the snow until I put some weight in the bed and then it did great. Try putting a few hundred pounds of sand back there and see how it does.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Keep in mind your front diff is totally open. So, if you are only driving one wheel at the time, you'll feel it in the steering wheel.
If you have the "value Package" then you have 4 wheel limited slip when your in 4 hi. My Frontier drives better than any car/truck I have driven in the snow...but I only have a 2 in lift.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
If you have the "value Package" then you have 4 wheel limited slip when your in 4 hi. My Frontier drives better than any car/truck I have driven in the snow...but I only have a 2 in lift.
its not limited slip, its some sort of traction control that uses the brakes. i forget the acronym at the moment. calling it limited slip is misleading though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I am not using the BFGs in the winter... that would be useless here in Newfoundland, Canada. I have excellent, studded, winter tires. (Cooper Discover - w/studs) But they are 31x10.5 on 7" stock wheels.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That what it feels like only one wheel is working at a time. One wheel cuts in and cuts out as the other cuts in.

AND putting weight in the back makes it worse!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
That doesn't mean you can't just spin one. Especially in snow.

That what it feels like only one wheel is working at a time. One wheel cuts in and cuts out as the other cuts in.
That's exactly what is going on. It's because of the open (not a locker/spool) diff in the front

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Value Package has open diff in rear.
SE Package has limited SLip in rear

03 & 04 Came with Traction control as option. The traction control was with controlling the breaks and you can turn it on and off with a switch on the dash. The 2nd gen guys have this. If you did get traction control (I've only seen them sold in Canada) then you did not get Limited Slip.

The sloppy front end is caused by steering pull. Get a steering stabilizer to control this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nissan calls the traction control ABLS (Active Brake Limited Slip). It's basically running the ABS backwards. . . if the wheel sensor detects excessive slip (rather than locking up), it taps the breaks repeatedly (ABS releases the brake repeatedly) on that wheel to transfer the torque to the other. I have this option, and it definitely helps in the winter. This truck handles better in the snow than any other I've driven.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have any sort of traction control and I already have a Stearing Stabilizer. Is there anything else I can do to improve the situation.
Something else to note, it seams like the harder (faster) I drive the better the truck handles.

Also, is it possible that my stearing stabilizer is on its way out already (6000miles)?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
maybe you should get rid of that huge monstrosity of a bull bar in the front....

im pretty sure going 100+ youll get liftoff :laugh:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The bull bar is aluminum @ about 40lbs.

And I pretty sure that someone with half their truck done with bedliner shouldn't be makin fun of someone elses truck.:laugh:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts