Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I hit the top speed of my truck the other night.

I generally keep my interstate speeds around 70mph. I went to go pass this jerk going 60 or so, and he decided that he didn't like the idea of being passed so he sped up. I continued to pour more coals to the fire, so to speak, and all of a sudden the engine was dancing the funky chicken under my hood.

What gives?!?! I passed the guy, but it was retarded close. It would have been a non-issue (passing the guy) if my engine decided that it didn't want to go any faster.

It wasn't a rev-limiter (I think), because I was just under 4500 rpm. Now, I WAS doing about 85 when the incident happened.

My question is: Is there any way around this dangerous (in my opinion) feature?

Do I have to do a total re-program of my ECU or something? This really sucks. I don't plan on driving at 85 or 90 on a regular basis, but this really seems to be more dangerous for a person that drives like me than a safety mechanism.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
I believe our trucks are speed governed at 115 from what I've read here on CF.
Never went that fast in my truck just for the record, so I can't personally verify that.
If your truck is cutting out at 85 something is up there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can tell you that my speedometer is out of whack. When it says 85mph my GPS says I'm only going 75. Is this potentially part of the problem? Is there a way I can calibrate my speedometer?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
My question is: Is there any way around this dangerous (in my opinion) feature?
dangerous feature? the speed limitor kicks in at 95mph. i touched it in my truck when it was stock just to see what it did, and the truck didn't feel good at 90mph.

bottom line is, what is dangerous is going above 80 in these trucks. i'm not believing for a second that you were going 85 when it happened unless you have high gearing (lower numerically) or tiny tires (less than 25"), which you don't.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dangerous feature? the speed limitor kicks in at 95mph. i touched it in my truck when it was stock just to see what it did, and the truck didn't feel good at 90mph.

bottom line is, what is dangerous is going above 80 in these trucks. i'm not believing for a second that you were going 85 when it happened unless you have high gearing (lower numerically) or tiny tires (less than 25"), which you don't.
Oh, I agree that it's not safe to go fast in these things. I will not fight you on that! However, this was very circumstantial. I maybe shoulda just backed off, fair enough. Still, If that had happened four seconds later, it might coulda been bad news.

As for tire size, I believe it's stock. The rims certainly ARE stock, nissan emblem and all. Hopefully I'll be changing this soon. And, the gearing does seem a bit high to me. Of course, this is coming from driving a Maxima for five years. So, there's been a bit of a curve for me getting used to truck ownership. (But I am liking it, for the record)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he has a 1st gen.. they are governed lower then 2nd gen.. and yes 6cyl 2nd gen are at 115-117mph if you pull the ABS fuse you can get faster, or you can flash you ECu

read this
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/top-speed-how-fast-your-nissan-25217/
Alright then. After reading this, I think what's happening is that since my speedometer is about 10mph off (faster than reality), I WAS going 85 when the limit hit, but my truck THOUGHT it was going 95. So, I guess I'm going to a mechanic to get my speedo re-calibrated.

Once again, I don't see myself going 95 in this thing. I MIGHT hit 85 again but I doubt it, and it won't be for long if I do.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
I can tell you that my speedometer is out of whack. When it says 85mph my GPS says I'm only going 75. Is this potentially part of the problem? Is there a way I can calibrate my speedometer?
if it is that out of wack, something is wrong. is it off 10mph across the board, or does it gradually increase in inaccuracy as you go faster?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a hypertech programer that raised the speed limiter. I cant tell you what top speed was before, but afterwards the indicated speed was 118-120ish but the gps indicated 110. I did not not get the speedo calabration tool.
When I had my 1 gen 4cyl, I remember the speed limiter kicked in around 85 also. I dont believe there is anything for the 1st gens to fix either issue.

·
Registered
122 Posts
mine shuts off at 101. that was w stock tires tho

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
i hit 98 in my truck, it just wouldn't go any faster, i'll never go that fast in this truck again, i wouldn't go over 100 in any truck unless it was built to go fast like a lightning. anyhow i heard when these trucks hit the limiter it leaves a violent shake like something broke in the drivetrain and everything shuts off, scares the sh*t out of people.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Years ago, I hit he speed limiter in my father's old '01. It was right at 103 mph. It was just a 2wd 2.4l/5 speed. I hit 105 once in my '09, but let off because I was scared of getting pulled over. IT was still accelerating though...

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
85 is a bit low especially if your driving in Texas.
It seems like everytime I reset my GPS, within a few days, I have 80+ as my max speed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've hit 100, easy, in mine and it isn't scary, but everything is new and tight.

Personally, I think it's fine to have speed limits on the roads, but not built in to our trucks or cars or motorcycles, for that matter. Where does it end? First governors, then no ashtrays; what's next?

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
I've hit 100, easy, in mine and it isn't scary, but everything is new and tight.

Personally, I think it's fine to have speed limits on the roads, but not built in to our trucks or cars or motorcycles, for that matter. Where does it end? First governors, then no ashtrays; what's next?
the guys saying it's sketchy are all 1st gen. Us 2nd gen guys are like.. 115 pfff No problem.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts

ooh, how about get rid of the throttle cable and let the computer keep you from spinning the tires or spinning a doughnut.

the guys saying it's sketchy are all 1st gen. Us 2nd gen guys are like.. 115 pfff No problem.
Its sketchy in a gen1 with 50K on your tires and 150K on your suspension. yea, my truck has a bit of slop in it. My gen 2 X isn't much more stable especially if there is any kind of wind gusts...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts