Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fired my truck up this morning and it shook like an old diesel until the engine warmed a bit.
Started down the road and the infamous 40mph rear end whine was back. by the time I got to work, it was gone.
all kinds of wind noise from the door seals not sealing.
Tomorrow is really gonna be fun. 5* tonight.
:crikey: :thatswck:

·
Registered
293 Posts
You're kidding right? 5 deg. ? What kind of oil are you running in that thing? Mine starts like a dream in -40 deg. weather. No complaints, except the seats don't heat fast enough.

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
-40????

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
lol thats what i thought.

-40 f your truck will probably have major problems starting. oil will be like sludge for one, when i say sludge i mean the kind that the dairy queen girls tip over to show you your frosty is frozen. and at those temps you risk freezing your block after shut off, if it starts.

your about half way to freezing your GAS.

lol **** my bad, your oil will be completely frozen...... and so will your anti freeze. congrats. your truck defies the laws of temperature.

also it was around 5degrees this morning and my 91 240 was creaking and making a lot of odd noises that when warm doesnt make.
i always add 1qt of oil stabilizer when i do my oil changes with older cars. and my motors last a lot longer than they would otherwise.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ha ha ha. You guys need to get out more. Yes it does get that cold here and even colder. And no, the oil won't freeze.

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
Is that actual temperature... or -5*, feels like -40*?

·
Registered
260 Posts
You must be running WD-40 in the engine at those temperatures! Seriously... what kind of fluids do you run when it's that cold?

Heath

·
Registered
939 Posts
i'm assuming you have a block heater

the coldest weather i have experienced here in indy was -25 back around 1980. my mother's brand new 1980 toyota celica fired up with no artificial help

·
Registered
704 Posts
i ran mine in lincoln new hampshire -30 deg startd a little slow ,but fired quickly.
a few years ago

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're kidding right? 5 deg. ? What kind of oil are you running in that thing? Mine starts like a dream in -40 deg. weather. No complaints, except the seats don't heat fast enough.
yea, go unplug your truck and park it outside overnight.
better yet, next truck you buy, come to Oklahoma for your next truck. no battery heater, no block heater, no radiator cover.

Ha ha ha. You guys need to get out more. Yes it does get that cold here and even colder. And no, the oil won't freeze.
No, engine oil wont freeze at -40. However, the 90w-140 gear oil im running in the rear end is getting pretty close.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The Clutch will feel funny at those temps, the steering will be sluggish at first, and yes, the Diff will be spinning in tree sap for a half hour or so, just warm it up first and take it real easy the first 10 minutes or so, that's why a lot of us have remote starters, so we can fire up the vehicles while we take a nice warm $#it. Plugging in helps a lot.
WW

·
Registered
293 Posts
yea, go unplug your truck and park it outside overnight.
better yet, next truck you buy, come to Oklahoma for your next truck. no battery heater, no block heater, no radiator cover.
Actually right now my truck is parked at the airport in the overflow parking. AKA big open field with no power. Sits there for a week at a time.
The only thing different about vehicles destined up here is that they come with block heaters (mandatory). Talk to your dealership before you buy and make them install one. Battery blankets and cold fronts are always purchased on your own. I don't have them either.
Change out your oils and put synthetic in. Not sure what else to say..... How about, instead of complaining on here or getting all defensive because you really don't have it all that bad considering what others have to deal with with their own vehicles, do something about it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
if it was -40 i wouldnt even be outside to see if my truck would start

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
Actually right now my truck is parked at the airport in the overflow parking. AKA big open field with no power. Sits there for a week at a time.
The only thing different about vehicles destined up here is that they come with block heaters (mandatory). Talk to your dealership before you buy and make them install one. Battery blankets and cold fronts are always purchased on your own. I don't have them either.
Change out your oils and put synthetic in. Not sure what else to say..... How about, instead of complaining on here or getting all defensive because you really don't have it all that bad considering what others have to deal with with their own vehicles, do something about it.
woooow. relax. its all in good fun. you obviously have have block heaters, ect.
its not a big deal.

but you can choose where you live.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts