Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'09 Frontier KC, PRO-4X, 4x4, 4.0 V6, 6-Spd

First Impression:
What a piece of crap, my ownership experience could not possibly start out worse...

1- After reading over all of the Component Functions, Tune Your Vehicle, Tune Level Information, and Advanced Tune Options in the little manual I'm ready to get started. I plug it in following all the instructions and I see it begins to download the OEM tune. I was surprised just how slow this went. After what seemed like 5-minutes I'm confronted with the Needs Update message telling me I now need to go download the appropriate tune files for my vehicle. I buy a brand new unit and it does not even have the tune data I need. I'm not impressed.

2- Now I go back to the little manual and I discover that my MAC is not supported and I need a PC. I'm in the Graphic Arts Industry, like it or not, the MAC rules here, that's just the way it is. So now I'm screwed, this will be a ton of hassle trying to figure out how to get an update. The first option will be to see if I can get the IT guys here at work to do me a favor, but this is clearly a non-work functions so if that does not work I'll have to get help from a friend which means I'll have to drive all the way out to his house. Now I'm pissed.

3- Well as I can't do anything with this product now, let me read the rest of this little manual to see if there are any other surprises in store. Yup, sure enough... honestly, I just don't understand why a new product comes with only half of its selling features included, this feels like bait and switch. So to get the Data Logging features I have to go to the web and download this capability also. Now I'm getting really irritated.

4- And while I'm already on a rampage, here is another. Come on Superchips, spend another whole buck in manufacturing and include a couple rubber caps or plugs that will close up the holes in the unit that give access to the USB and phone-like connectors so I don't have to put a piece of tape over them because connectors like this should be kept clean. Disappointment is totally setting in.

So today I will have to invest time in trying to figure out how in the hell I'm going to get the tune and updates for this unit, things that frankly I believe ought to be on the unit right from the factory.

I'll update this thread as I learn more. I sure hope things turn around and when all this setup hassle is behind me I discover I like the unit. Otherwise, I'll be doing like so many others have, selling the unit as used because of an unhappy ownership experience.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Well Trip first I have to say I'm sorry your experience has been bad so far.

I have a few things to say though in defense of Superchips.

1) The newer your truck, the more likely that your ECU was not among the ones "cracked", ie able to be tuned right out of the box with the Cortex (mine wasn't either). Get your Cortex updated and see if your ECU was among the ones cracked already, they keep adding to the database daily. If not, they will have your ECU data and will get to work cracking it (7-10 day turn around).

2) It's been documented on here in several threads that Superchips software only runs on Windows. Like it or not, 90% of the world uses PCs, not MACs. Don't they make a Windows emulator for the MAC OS?

3) I think all Cortex owners are thankful that Superchips keeps adding new/extra features essentially for free, even though they have to be downloaded to the unit from the net. This way we don't have to go out and buy a new tuner every couple of months to get these new features. It makes the Cortex much more flexible having this ability.

Maybe you got some older stock?
I too had to wait for them to crack my ECU, took about a week.
Maybe you'll be lucky and after the update you'll be good to go.

I believe you will be highly impresses once you get your update and have a tune installed and the WOT restriction removed.

Don't give up and have some patience it will be worth the "hassles" your are encountering thus far.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Sorry for the thread jack, but what was really amusing to me was that the Superchips banner was having a party above your thread as I was reading.

TJ over, in OP's defense, when i purchase a toy like cortex, I expect it to work out of the box. I gotta say that there isn't much you can do about the Mac thing, that is just how the world goes and you can only really b!tch at Bill Gates about that. But barring that, I would have a pretty bad taste in my mouth that it would need to update. It is a little more understandable since he has a 2009, bit still.....

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
TJ over, in OP's defense, when i purchase a toy like cortex, I expect it to work out of the box. I gotta say that there isn't much you can do about the Mac thing, that is just how the world goes and you can only really b!tch at Bill Gates about that. But barring that, I would have a pretty bad taste in my mouth that it would need to update. It is a little more understandable since he has a 2009, bit still.....
I have to be completely honest here.
I was not a happy camper either, quite pissed actually.
I installed/ran their updater and was told that no current profile existed for my truck, bummer man!
The updater software sent my ECU info to Superchips and then I followed up with a quick call to customer service to find out more.
They basically said they would get right on it and it should only be 7-10 days.
A week later I was rocking a fully working Cortex.

Trip, follow the above steps and Superchips will get you hooked up.
Hang in there!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Don't be discouraged so easily, they advertise all of their functions and abilities, but this doesn't mean that they're available for all models or vehicles. Its been covered all ready, but there happens to a huge number of different ecu's and you should be happy that they're getting to all of them as quickly as they are. When you understand how many ecu's there are you'll understand why a relatively new product can't cover that many out of the box. If your tune isn't available, it will be soon and you should definitely be happy with what you get.

I'm currently un-tuned this week, because I dropped my truck off at the dealer today. Going from 87 tune to 93 performance was a small but a definitely noticeable difference. Going from 93 to stock, HOLY CRAP it feels like I'm towing another Frontier behind me. We don't have the same tuner, but I'm sure you'll love it just as much when it's set up and installed. Be patient, it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Sorry for your frustration but as said above have a little patience...

I was looking at my Cortex for almost 2 months, just cuz I jumped into the 1st GB and 08' tunes were still on the drawing board. :(

As for the quality of the $3xx. toy don't complain; I've got another $700 tune(r) that looks like a hockey puck and only uploads a tune; doesn't even clear CELs.

G/L.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm sure that long term you'll really like it a lot. The compatibility / computer issue is all thanks to Nissan. For some odd reason they have multiple ECU's for each year; just doesn’t make since.

X2 on Superchips needing covers for the ends of the wires.... and stickers.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Just a thought, but can you run a Virtual Machine on a separate partition on your MAC, and then install a PC OS? (I don't know if its possible on a MAC, but I have my PC dual booted with 2 different OS's)

I think the biggest thing that bugs/scares me with the tuner is how many people have been stranded with a dead vehicle due to an errors from the Coretex.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

So it's Friday, so one of the IT guys was willing to help me out...

I do the registration
I do the login
We try over and over to get the validation to work, no luck
I call, speak to someone who forces the system to see me and we get loged in
We watch as the download happen, we go get coffee, we chat, and we keep watching
And then, drum roll please, this is what I get.

I call again and am told, "it may be 2 to 4 days before we can get this resolved, we will email your account when we are all set with the calibration for your vehicle."

Honestly, at this point this thing had better make my truck stand up and dance for me to become a happy owner. I'll keep an open mind once I'm able to get the thing working, but as of now, my 1st ownership experience, well, it ain't going very well at all...

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
I'll keep an open mind
^---- That's the key right there brother.

Meanwhile go out and put your truck through it's paces until you get your tunes.
Then you'll have a fresh comparison in your mind for a before and after.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
when i purchase a toy like cortex, I expect it to work out of the box.
I would have a pretty bad taste in my mouth that it would need to update.
It is a little more understandable since he has a 2009, bit still.....
Yup, that's my point of view too.
It not working was bad enough, the frosting on the cake is my vehicle not being supported...

2) It's been documented on here in several threads that Superchips software only runs on Windows. Like it or not, 90% of the world uses PCs, not MACs.
The MAC issue is not the core of the problem, I run into this all the time because I am a MAC, this is nothing new. They key is though, running into this obstacle, at this point in time, with this product, well it just made a bad situation way, way worse.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
the frosting on the cake is my vehicle not being supported...
Your vehicle is supported.
That is the same screen we all got when our particular ECU hadn't been "cracked" yet (well, those of us that didn't work out of the box).

The MAC issue is not the core of the problem, I run into this all the time because I am a MAC, this is nothing new. They key is though, running into this obstacle, at this point in time, with this product, well it just made a bad situation way, way worse.
Yeah, I understand completely how it just threw another issue into the mix for you.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your vehicle is supported.
That is the same screen we all got when our particular ECU hadn't been "cracked" yet (well, those of us that didn't work out of the box).
Ok, supported may have been the wrong word.
The key is, the unit I have ain't doing me no good and won't do me any good for what might be a week or so.
Frustrated is where I'm at.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Ok, supported may have been the wrong word.
The key is, the unit I have ain't doing me no good and won't do me any good for what might be a week or so.
Frustrated is where I'm at.
1) You're not the only one that had to go through this (I know, makes you feel much better, right? 8))

2) You'll be glad you bought a Cortex once you have your truck tuned

3) Grab a cold one and relax (after work)

:itsfriday:

And by the way, your title is very misleading.
How can you review something you haven't tested? ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1) You're not the only one that had to go through this (I know, makes you feel much better, right? 8))
2) You'll be glad you bought a Cortex once you have your truck tuned
3) Grab a cold one and relax (after work)
:itsfriday:
And by the way, your title is very misleading.
How can you review something you don't have? ;)
1- :) Yes, much better....
2- I'm holding you to that
3- Well, it will be several trust me
4- Oh, I have it, er, wait, no, it has me by the balz :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
this kinda stuff is a double edge sword when it comes to upgrading new cars, it sucks because so many more things are going the way of data, needing modules and software, and flashes that it becomes a pain, i install mobile electronics in cars (stereos, amps, alarms etc.) and this has become the trend, started mainly with GM vehicles and their "canbus" system requiring a 120 dollar harness vs a 20 dollar one to talk to the data system just to install a 89 dollar stereo! then there were the data controlled door locks, and immobilizers, requiring modules for alarms, people readily get pissed about all the extra money, but one thing to keep in mind as this is somewhat new stuff, and companies like this, and others that make things that interact with these systems are helping us get the most out of these systems that people with no wiring knowledge or mechanical knowledge can now do all sorts of things. i think its going to be like this for a long time as new stuff comes out and other companies scramble to make a product for us. I applaud superchips and other places like them that are willing to stay on top of the game and make programs and whatnot for 09 vehicles. i say weigh it out, seems worth it... i wish i could do it ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to say, after my wonderful experience, that when I put it on 91 performance and went to test it, I was smiling...especially since it disabled the WOT restriction....its like the truck woke up.

Now, right after that I tried to change the speed limiter feature and it wiped out my ecu and would not recover. I sent my ecu and programmer to superchips and missed a day of work. They totally took care of it and paid for a rental.....but I'm sending it back for a refund.....I was dissatisfied with the product because of that.

Like i said in another post, when you do this, make sure it is a MONDAY and you are AT HOME

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
right after that I tried to change the speed limiter feature and it wiped out my ecu and would not recover.
That's just too scary top think about...

Update - 7/20

I have an email from Superchips saying they are done and my profile can now be downloaded. Looks like the email came in late on Friday, so, for sure, I do have to say their response time to my situation was very quick.

So it looks like today I'll have to ask around and find out if one of the PC people here will give me some of their computer time today.

I may not get to do the tune until Tuesday as this is my monthly meeting for a volunteer thing I do and I have to leave work and drive several hours to get there, and I never seem to get home until after 11:00 on these days...

Well I'll admit, NOW i just want to get the download and get this think hooked up!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts