Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I know its not that close to summer yet, but I've already been thinking for a long time about my next set of plans for my truck this summer and what I would like to accomplish. I just need some of your guys input and answers to a few things.

So my first thing I want to do is finish my front suspension. All I have right now is CST spindles with added bilsteins off a nismo. So ideally Im looking at a titan swap with regular titan lower control arms and the prg uppers. I was looking at either 2.5 radflos or either 2.5 SAWs. I might actually go with SAWS now cause of some of the 2.5 radflo problems Ive heard of. But a good friend of mine says the SAWs rust out fast. What is the best coilover for my truck do you guys think if I titan swap? Keep in mind its a 4 cylinder, my daily driver, and when I do offroad I just want to go fast in the desert, and around town I just want to be able to go fast through some dips without worrying about the front smacking.

Now here is my first issue, which may force me not to titan swap and just go with prg uppers and coilovers. Right now my tires in the front already stick out past my fenders a bunch. Reason is because of the spindles, my pro comps that have a lot of backspacing, and 1.25" wheel adapters. Reason I have to have those 1.25" wheel adapters is because of that whole fiasco deal with my pro comps not fitting on my truck a while back. Something was wrong with the set I got to where they just scraped the crap out of my caliper mounting bracket so I had to add the adapters to push them out cause I didnt know how big a spacer I could fit on there. I still dont even know if a 1/2" wheel spacer will clear my front rims from the caliper. So my question is whats the biggest wheel spacer I can put on there and still get enough lug nut turns? Ideally I would like to put spacers on the front and move my 1.25" adapters to the back of the truck. But then again I think if Im pushing each side out 3" with a titan swap what harm is another 1.25"? So my next question is this, is anybody running a titan swap, with wheel adapters, and a large backspaced rim up front? Im thinking its gonna be way too wide.

Now the next step is just front fenders which I will get color matched to my truck even though it's white. My dilemma will be choosing between Hannemans or Fiberwerx. I think I might have to go with hannemans though since they're a bigger bulge and my tires might be sticking out a bunch already as I already talked about. My only issue here is I wonder if my tires are gonna look too small? Im only running 265/75R16 (about 31" tire) right now mainly because Im a 4 cylinder and I dont want to lug around any more weight in tires. They fit the size of the truck fine now, not sure how they'd look with front fenders. Anyways, there is now way Id be getting new tires cause I payed good money for these ones I have right now and they're practically brand new. What do you guys think about fenders?

Next, I want to get a custom front tube bumper made. I want it black with a skid plate and 2 light tabs. I have a certain design in my head that is pretty much just like the007forum's in the picture below.

So those above are my main goals. My additional goals for the summer include a full sized spare with some type of mount in the back either in bed or a custom made spare tire gate. Along with a rear tube bumper. I wanted to just get one of those tiregate flat bed mounts, but I dont know if that will work for me since I have a bedliner in the back and I dont know if i want to cut through that yet. I would also like to get a high lift jack and mount that somewhere If I have good jack points for it eventuall. New recovery points would be nice too.

Anyways the main things im trying to figure out and hope i can accomplish is titan swap, fenders, and custom bumper this summer. Then my main dilemma is having to have those additional 1.25" adapters and a large backspaced rim up front while adding a titan swap??? Might have to go with just coilovers and upper control arms but not sure how much extra travel that really gets you. Oh yah, did I mention money is kind of a dilemma too. hahaha. Let me know what you guys think. Sorry this is so long. Im just finally starting to write down some of my brainstorming and looking for input from those that are truly in to it.

Oh and here is some additional pictures of my truck so far just to help you guys picture it and also see how far the tires already stick out.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If you want the most travel, titan swap is what you need to do. With what your plans are for the front you should be able to fill the fenders no problem. As far as tires, it will look goofy if you crank the coilovers and have a huge fender gap. You can keep them down and go for more of that low center, lots of down travel kinda look though. With the spacers you talking pushing you wheels out a total of id say amost 4.5 inches, which would fill the fenders nice. I say go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want the most travel, titan swap is what you need to do. With what your plans are for the front you should be able to fill the fenders no problem. As far as tires, it will look goofy if you crank the coilovers and have a huge fender gap. You can keep them down and go for more of that low center, lots of down travel kinda look though. With the spacers you talking pushing you wheels out a total of id say amost 4.5 inches, which would fill the fenders nice. I say go for it.
Yah man cause I was really worrying about my tires sticking out too far even past the fenders. I dont know anyone who has the backspace of these pro comps, a titan swap, and wheel adapters. But Im definitely thinking Im gonna need the hannemans since they are a 5" bulge. Im just not sure how its measured. But yah I would guess i would be sticking out about an extra 4-5" so with a titan swap, maybe it would look good with the hannemans. I just dont want my track in the front to be "dumb" wide you know. And yah as for the coilovers I would only maybe set those at like 1/2" or so. Im already getting the lift I want from the spindles which lift from the bottom. My truck is already pretty much level now, maybe 1/2" or 1" higher in the front. So I would only set the coilovers to lift it maybe another 1/2" or 1".

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should fill them just fine. Would be similar to the guys running the long travel kit, or titan mid travel set up. So id imagine youd be just fine. Im getting my titan parts together now and hope to have that done by mid end of next month.
Sweet man. Well isnt a titan swap, meaning stock titan lower arm and an aftermarket upper control arm, like a titan mid travel set up. What are you referring to as long travel and mid travel titan.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The titan swap is a mid travel kit for the frontier. The titan mid travel kit, is a long travel kit for the frontier. Plus you dont have to use aftermarket upper arms, buts its better if you do. Im going to run stock uppers for the time being till i decide on an upper i like and want to run.
Ok yah thats what I thought, that the titan swap is like a mid travel frontier kit. So what are you calling the mid travel titan kit? I thought that anything further than your basic titan swap is really just custom. And yah I know you can run the stock titan uppers. Edwin (devilrunner666) is still running all stock titan arms with 2.0 radflos. But I was planning on just going straight for the prg titan uppers.

Anyone else have any input? And thanks Wolfman for your input. One day Ill have my truck up there all done while Im at college and we can take our trucks out. hahaha

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, recently my plans have changed a little. Not really, but Im hoping to titan swap still, and thinking of just going with the fiberwerx fenders just cause I like the look a little better. My tires will still stick out past the fenders a little since the fiberwerx isn't that big of a bulge, but it should be alright.

So I've had my idea of my custom front bumper stuck in my head for a while. It basically is based off that Camburg Trophy truck you probably have all seen. Its a really simple design, but Ive actually thought a lot about it. The top bars will probably stretch out to the side more, but I just dont want to block the actual headlights too much. This is just a quick photoshop. Didnt really take time to do perspective and the bottom skid plate going under the truck. Plus the bar on top I would like to stick forward a little at an angle.

Since Im planning on getting fiberwerx fenders, I did the photoshop by itself and on rerlanderson's truck I believe that has fiberwerx fenders on it already.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks good!!! be sure to drill holes or dimple die holes for the extra strength and air flow!!!!
Yah I was thinking about that, like adding 3 or 4 big circles cut in the skid plate. You do mean to drill holes in the skid plate right? Just for airflow, how do the holes make it stronger though?

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
The holes do not make it stronger. The Flare or dimple puts materiel on a plane perpendicular to that of the rest of the skid making it much more rigid.

Quick pics I found online:

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah, ok. I see now what they are and understand it now. Dont think I want holes all over the skid plate though. Maybe just like 3 or 4 in a row at the top of the skidplate. Also, when I do eventually get the bumper custom made, I do want it to be very well made, strong, and powder coated. But I dont want the cost to be way too much. Im hoping to get it made for around $500 or $600. I just got to keep researching the good shops around here in so cal. There are a lot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts