Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I gather that this topic has been beaten into the ground, but I just wanted to quickly throw out some pictures of one I made. I wanted the bikes easily accessable, (ie not have to climb into the bed) and somewhat secure.

Main points:
-bikes can be installed/removed from the rear
-bikes are below roof line/wind line
-provisions for locking
-stable
-multiple bikes
-quickly removed/installed

Basically it's just a piece of aluminum bar stock picked up from HD/Lowes. I didn't even cut it down.

Four holes drilled for each fork mount: one nut 'access' hole on the bottom (around 1/2" dia), one smaller one on top for 1/4" clearance hold for the security/hex threads to pass through. x2 for each mount.

Track mounting was setup in a similar manner: 1/2" access hole in top, 1/4" clearance hole to pass through the bar and attach to spring nut (also 1/4").

I ran out of security bolts (fastenal was closed) so I had to use regular pan heads for securing the bar to the truck.

Anyway, pictures should speak for themselves - the fork mounts were picked up at a local bike shop for $20/ea and include an integrated provision for a lock (though I wonder how tough it would be to channel-lock the skewer end nut off).

To keep the rear of the bike from swaying/vibrating I just took a small ratchet strap over the rear tire: side to bottom utilitrack.

For securing, I ran a good bike chain through the rear tire/frame, through the front tire (which was bungied to the side of the bed), and secured to an eye-bolt mounted in the side utili-track. Again good lock on the skewer. I locked the tailgate to further slow someone down. These things combined (in my mind) make up a damn good theft * deterrent*, but not theft prevention. It will prevent 'smash and grabs', but don't leave your bike in your truck if you don't want it stolen.

Just traveled 80mi with a single bike and it works great. The *only* improvement I would make is to go with a thicker-wall tubing (or steel). This was barely 1/8" thick: if you have it sit too far off the bed or not 100% tight, it will bow when the bike sways. After realizing one of my bolts was bottoming out slightly on the track, adjusted the height, tightened it as hard as I could get, it was perfect.

Any questions just ask!

The brand was Delta, 'bike hitch':

Use fender washers to take some stress off the alum. bar stock and utili-track. Also pad it up so that it sits slightly off the bed.

I ended up replacing this oddball washer with more fender washers - the closer to the bed the better. You want to be tightening the bar to the track, not the bed.

You'll have to use your imagination for the bike - didn't snap a picture installed. You'll notice the fork mounts are lined up so that the rear tire sits in the bed's 'gulley's.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Great idea and good write-up! I am sure someone will use this idea.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Awesome! Found the perfect idea to steal on the first shot. I have a topper on my bed and would like to be able to close it with the bikes in the back. This looks like the ticket. I haven't been too concerned about a locking skewer in the past but with my new carbon ride that's got $1500 wheels on it...yeah need that too. Lock the tailgate, topper window (double handle/double lock) and the skewer. That should be safe enough for any average runs around town.

Thanks!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts