Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'v been working on some renovations and finally got tired of borrowing my father's van for drywall... (4x8 sheets slide nicely into a full size cargo van!).

As they say, necessity is the mother of all innovation, or something like that, so this is my version of a poor-mans ladder rack. Lumber isn't so bad: just prop it over a closed 'gate and ratchet it down. Drywall is a little harder to carry w/out b****ing it up. I plan to eventually paint it up and use it for canoes also.

Loaded up: could carry more if you extend the side supports.

From below: utilitrack tie-does help secure the 2x4 as well as a mounting point for the ratchets.

Frame: two 2x4's up front with center supports. The rear portion is held in place by the vertical 2x4 in it's bed slot along with the tie-down.

Another angle:

·
Registered
250 Posts
That's putting the ol' noggin to use. :goodjob:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks! It wasn't really intended to be permanent - my fathers van isn't running and I really wanted to get some drywall for next week, so I just broke down and slapped it together. Only took 30-45mins to make, and I wouldn't feel *too* bad about tearing it down if I desperately need the lumber.

I never honestly thought that I'd put those lumber slots to much use.

PS - any tips on hauling 16' 2x6's? My brother says he puts them through his cab window, rests them on dash/tailgate (F350)...

The bottom sil of this sliding window is raised up a bit: at that angle the 2x6 would be in the middle of the windshield on the frontier.

·
Registered
202 Posts
So I'v been working on some renovations and finally got tired of borrowing my father's van for drywall... (4x8 sheets slide nicely into a full size cargo van!).

As they say, necessity is the mother of all innovation, or something like that, so this is my version of a poor-mans ladder rack. Lumber isn't so bad: just prop it over a closed 'gate and ratchet it down. Drywall is a little harder to carry w/out b****ing it up. I plan to eventually paint it up and use it for canoes also.

Loaded up: could carry more if you extend the side supports.

From below: utilitrack tie-does help secure the 2x4 as well as a mounting point for the ratchets.

Frame: two 2x4's up front with center supports. The rear portion is held in place by the vertical 2x4 in it's bed slot along with the tie-down.

Another angle:
Yeh Buddy, you should be proud of that home-made rack. it looks great and guaranteed to last 10 times longer than any chinese made crap you could buy.

·
Registered
578 Posts
i would get a trailer for 16ft boards

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
That looks terrific

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that looks great, just need to paint it...
Agreed: I got some funny looks at the guy at HD, but he said 'I have a ladder rack and don't even use it'.

Just figured I'd throw some pictures out there for those looking for ideas.

Cheers,
Jamie

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good job, Jamie! I've thought of making something like this, now I have a design to copy! :)
I can post up dimensions if you want: pretty much just cut everything to fit.

With 10sheets of 1/2" and a sheet of 3/8" I was loaded at about 550#: that's close to the max of most commercial racks.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I had to haul 16 footers the other day. Built a little rack in the bed right behind the sliding window. This supported the load and I stuck it through the slider into the cab. Strapped the load down onto the tailgate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts