Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well was thinking of what to ad to my truck and decided to get the
JBA Cat4ward Headers stainless. I think these are the best out there for our trucks. I heard they are a pain in the A#$ to install........................

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Yea install not the easiest thing to do. Patience and a little elbow grease will get er done!!!

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
If your going with headers, JBA is not the way i would go, they aren't even equal length, i would consider them more like another set of manifolds... go with OBX or if you can find them, get some Nismos. i love them. the tricky side is going to be the passenger when your getting your old ones out, if you don't want to lift the engine out you are going to have to take off the heat shield first and rip it out to fit the stock manifold out. if you have any q's let me know, i did this in my driveway in one night so its not too bad, but still a pita...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I did my header install alone and spread it over two days. I wouldn't be surprised if it was like 11 hours total. I didn't lift the motor any and still managed to get the heat shields out without bending them up too badly.

I took both front wheels off, and the inner fenders. And I took the cats off. I managed to drop a nut that got lost in the frame somewhere so I lost time fetching a replacement (I bought 2 just in case).

With JBA, they are not equal length runners, but they are far from manifolds. I did the headers and cat-back at different times and the headers have been one of my best performance mods.

I wouldn't buy JBA again though, they took forever to deliver and I had some quality issues with my set that took like another month to sort out.

The OBX headers are Nismo clones BTW, but check out doug thorley's too. I would probably buy DT if I was going to do it over again.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
im considering the same mod but some have said the gains are not worth the cost or work.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Headers on our trucks are a PITA. But they can be done in a day easy enough. I do however think the OBX ones are hard to beat for the money. $295 on EBAY. For that price I think they are worth it if you do the install your self.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
The OBX headers are Nismo clones BTW, but check out doug thorley's too. I would probably buy DT if I was going to do it over again.
Thank you Mr. Helper... I know the OBX are Nismo clones, thats why I suggested that he purchase those but if he can find Nismos for a decent price like i did, he would be better off with the Nismos due to the higher quality in the product.

Don't go with JBA, JBA is crap.

this thread has some good points on all the headers available thus far http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f11/nismo-vs-doug-thorley-headers-34817/

and doug thorley wouldn't be a bad choice, way better than JBA...

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
^
Dumb question, but what does that mean?
:crib:
Equal length runners refers to the lengh of pipe that goes from each cylinder to the collector. Equal length runners are a nice thing to have. It may be more of a myth but I have not researched it myself.

I would go with the OBX or the Nismos if I did headers. Either way thou, I would get them ceramic coated first to help with engine bay temps and possible rust issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If and when I add headers they'll be Doug Thorley's. They've been building headers for almost 50 years and they're CARB certified. I've put them on muscle cars in the past and was very happy with the results.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I've heard that our manifolds really aren't that restrictive, and that the gain from the headers is not necassarliy worth the price and effort. Of course I don't have them so I cannot comment on the validity of the statement. That being said, if I had the money I would probably try them anyhow.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
NCfronty: Your statement is tru on another members experience between the JBAs and the oem manifolds. He did the swap, took forever and in the end, he stated that he didn't really feel too much of a difference and the time needed for the mod was more then it was worth. He stated that if he didnt' get such a good deal on them, he would have just passed them up. I think he was a guy in CA and I think he drove a red KC that was lifted. His post was probably from about 1.5-2.0 yrs ago thou.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Headers on our trucks are a PITA. But they can be done in a day easy enough. I do however think the OBX ones are hard to beat for the money. $295 on EBAY. For that price I think they are worth it if you do the install your self.

They sure are pretty though.:)

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
NCfronty: Your statement is tru on another members experience between the JBAs and the oem manifolds. He did the swap, took forever and in the end, he stated that he didn't really feel too much of a difference and the time needed for the mod was more then it was worth. He stated that if he didnt' get such a good deal on them, he would have just passed them up. I think he was a guy in CA and I think he drove a red KC that was lifted. His post was probably from about 1.5-2.0 yrs ago thou.
So does that mean it has truth to it or not? Not sure what you're trying to say. Is the power gain worth the $ and effort? 300+/- for the OBX doesn't sound bad as a price, but what about the amount of time and effort to install? Could I do them myself with lots of mechanical ability and mostly basic tools? If our manifolds already are decent is there much gain really?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Equal length runners refers to the lengh of pipe that goes from each cylinder to the collector. Equal length runners are a nice thing to have. It may be more of a myth but I have not researched it myself.

I would go with the OBX or the Nismos if I did headers. Either way thou, I would get them ceramic coated first to help with engine bay temps and possible rust issues.

The myth of equal length tube is no myth but unless you are running 400-500hp min, it will not effect you much to hardly at all

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The myth of equal length tube is no myth but unless you are running 400-500hp min, it will not effect you much to hardly at all
^c'mon this thingy made huge gains in my Weber'd 22R.. 400hp min?

I'm a firm believer of long draft headers.. btw.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, so now I am torn to get headers at all. For those of you who have them is it worth it???

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
if you plan on getting tuned... i would say yes, as long as you don't spend too much for them and do the work yourself.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts