Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here are the pics of my leaf springs, and I should have gotten a closer picture to show the leafs a little better. The first 3 are pics of the driver side: front, middle and back. The the last 3 are for the passenger side. I plan on just replacing these springs with new or decent used ones if I find a local junk yard with any. The closest one to me didn't have any springs, now I search out further, damn....

I put new shocks on it after these pics too, the rear passenger shock actually seperated just above the bottom mount. It swayed enough over bumps, I felt like I was in a boat lol.

There are 3 springs in the driver side. The bottom supporting spring is longer then the one on the passenger side. It was also slightly thicker.

There were 4 leaf springs on this side. The bottom supporting spring was shorter and thinner then the one on the driver side. This is my first frontier and I haven't found any pics of someone else's springs yet to compare with. So I have no idea which side even has stock springs.

So I might end up just replacing the springs completely with newer stock ones. Or the 3 pack aal and the main leafs on the truck now might do the trick as well.

I bought the truck like this, and I'd like to make it right before I go modding anything. Man, I hate when people don't fix things the right way.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I feel your pain. No junkyards around here have any frontiers or xterras. However they are out there. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market is a good tool for searching your state. there are a few other ones out there, perhaps someone can chime in with another.

Theres also the option of buying new. Courtesynissan.com has OEM everything thats on your truck.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have a 4-cyl and it has two leafs and the overload "spring" (more like a bar) on each side. You can see them in the pics here.

It's my understanding that the 6-cyl (at least for '04) should have three leafs and an overload. I've been told that I can use the 6-cyl springs on my truck. They would supposedly bolt right in and give me an inch or inch and a half of lift. I've thought about it, but haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
why replace them?

does it lean to one side?

or do you just want them to be "even"?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would just bite the bullet and get a 3 pack AAL, looks like you have a V6 leaf pack on the passenger, 4 cyl on driver, the bottom one is your overload leaf. Even or not, you'll have equal resistance across the back with a matching set. Plus you have new shocks so mine as well just finish it off.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Well if he gets the 3 pack then he will have 3" in the rear and only be able to get 1.5 maybe 2" out of the front so he would need UCAs to make it look right. You can also just go with a single aal and a torsion bar adjustment.

·
Registered
412 Posts
He could do the AAL, but he will have to remove a single leaf from the passenger side then to still make them equal number. Might just be more hassle. But if he wants to lift in the future, he could start here and just save some money instead of doing it twice.
Either way, I would want to fix this problem too and not just leave it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You can actually leave the overload spring in when you install a single aal. My cousin left mine in and mine works just fine, not problems at all.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to lift the truck enough to fit a set of 32's under it, eventually. I just got laid off from work so that isn't gonna happen anytime soon now. I have no idea which leaf is stock and which is the problem. But the truck does lean 2 inches or so lower on the driver side. A new leaf pack from nissan is like $260, so I'd like to find a used set for now. Its hard to tell from the pics, but the bottom support leaf on the driver side is noticably thicker then the support leaf in the bottom of the passenger side leaf pack.

When I have the money though, I'd like to get new UCA's, new torsion bars, and the rear AAL packs.

I have a question regarding the 3 pack AAL... When you install those on the truck, do you remove any of the other leaf springs from the stock leaf pack?

Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I got a hold of a used leaf pack for my frontier. I installed it yesterday. During the installation, I found that whoever put the Other leaf pack on it, also used different then stock U-bolts. So I had a new set made, and I just cut the old ones off. The truck looks much better now that it sits level. Time to save up for new UCA's and heavy duty T-bars.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that I have this old leaf pack out of my truck, I noticed that the main leaf had a barcode tag on it. The leaf was rusted, but the tag was still there. Definitely isn't from back in 1999 when the truck was new. The leaf spring directly under the main leaf is the same thickness, and almost the same length. One end of the second leaf spring has about an inch and a half of curved metal on it. I'm kinda thinkin that second leaf is the original main leaf and it broke at the mount. Someone cut it down and replaced it with a new one.

Anyway, since those 2 leafs are the same size and length, I don't need to buy an AAL kit I guess. I'll just use those in the leaf pack. So, if I cut them down and add them to my existing leaf packs, do I need to do anything special, other then cutting them and replacing the center bolt that holds them together? Does anyone know what size bolt that is?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/diy-rebuilt-leaf-springs-38250/

So I've read thru this discussion above, and I plan on doing something similar I guess.
I pulled a leaf pack out of my truck and the 2 springs are about the same length as seen in the picture below. I plan on the second one a little shorter and grinding the edges down to match the third spring I pulled out of the pack. I'll prolly paint them before re-installing onto my stock Frontier leaf pack. The main leaf you see there has a sticker on it so its gotta be relatively new, and its for the frontier. So I'll keep it incase the main on the opposite side breaks or whatever.

This is the end of the spring, I don't understand the second leaf... but it doesn't matter cause I'm cutting it down.

I'm a do it yourself person, in the living room of my apartment lol

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Your landlord should be happy with this project!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your landlord should be happy with this project!
lol, I keep the place clean and maintain the apartment very well. My neighbors must HATE it when I work on stuff, especially when I'm grinding and hammering things. I live in an apartment complex of 20 units.

I was running my grinder in the kitchen a short while ago too.

The landlord knows I work on my truck a lot, they are grease monkies as well. So far they haven't complained about me working on my trucks out in the driveway. i've replaced the leaf pack in the leaf pack in the driveway, put new fogs in, made new brackets for my tail lights. I haven't had any complaints yet, I've even asked the landlord to borrow things to do stuff.

They own a towing company as well, and their son is into rebuilding cars so they've been great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My newly acquired bone stock (for now) 04 XE v-6 has 2 leafs and the thicker overload below as stock, with a small block between the leaf pack and the axle . My original springs have the leaf clamp with the round bumper above in the back on both sides, like the pic you posted of your driver side spring pack. My best guess is it acts as a bump stop and helps control axle wrap.

Also a crazy thought, on my last light duty truck, I broke a leaf due to 4" lift blocks (and some hard driving) causing excessive axle wrap. I was able to order replacement springs with the same mounting dimensions, similar spring rate as original, and heavier load capacity, and cheaper than dealer prices (I know, sounds like fiction), at the local HEAVY TRUCK driveline shop in town. They even gave me 2" of lift so I could put shorter lift blocks in. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I'm having issues with my truck leaf springs again. After replacing the passenger side springs (completely) my second leaf spring in the driver side broke, lol go figure. So I'm considering buying the 3 pack aal from 4x4parts.com.

When adding these leafs, I was considering leaving the overload spring and the main leaf on the truck, and just removing the secondary spring from both sides. I know this won't get me the predicted lift in the description, but its a thought for replacing and getting my desired lift out of the truck. Does anyone see any problems in doing it this way?

I would probably crank my t-bars to match the height it gains until I can buy my new UCA's. I understand cranking the t-bars, tends to ruin ball joints on stock control arms. Would this be for the upper ball joints, or the lower? Both maybe? I'm just concerned as to how long I have before it really starts creating a problem. I do plan on doing it correctly, all in due time though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts