Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was recently gifted a 2004 ford explorer. It is a nice rig, and will be able to tote the family around much easier than in my king cab Fronty. My wife and everyone else is starting to suggest that I get rid of the Frontier. This Ford will never be able to fill the shoes (wheel wells) of my Frontier. Doubt it wheels very well. It had 120K miles which though it is not much, the car is over 10 years old and things are starting to fall apart. Don't want to start modding this vehicle the support is far less than the Frontier. 1st world problems.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because off road and hauling stuff is not on their list of important thing one needs a vehicle to accomplish. When pressed, they say you can use a trailer to haul stuff, and the Explorer has 4 low and should accomplish what you need off road. Ignorance!!!

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Nice. I got an 08 Explorer with the 3 valve 4.6. Other than the warped rotors its a smooth riding SUV. Don't be scared of the nickname exploder, mine has 155k miles and runs and drives like new. My family told me to sell my Frontier as well as it just sits in the garage now but I have no plans to sell it any time soon. Enjoy your Explorer!

·
Registered
397 Posts
...let the wife drive the ford, keep your nissan!

·
Registered
397 Posts
^^This^^ You'll need a good vehicle to come rescue her in when she's stranded in the Ford! ::wink::
::grin::made me spit my drink out while reading...(I was looking at F-150's, Taco's and my Nissan before brining home the right one)!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To tell you the truth I like Exploder. It has a high luxury trim package; something that I am not use to. Spent some time with it last night. Pretty interesting design. 4 wheel independent suspension on body on frame. There has only been 3 vehicles ever made in this configuration: H1 hummer, Explorer (2002-?[not current]), and some Benz SUV. Took it out on snow/ice roads. Did pretty good. But didn't hit the whoops too hard as I did not want to blow the OG shocks. The clearance is nill and there are ZERO skid plates. It still has a true 4wd layout with low range, 2 diffs, and a T-case.

The wife will still ride in her RAV4. Newer, safer, better gas mileage. It was her first car that she got to pick out and buy new.

We are going to try out this car for 6 month to a year. If it doesn't suit us we'll "give it back". Right now our family only has 2 drivers. We have 4 cars and 2 motorcycles. My dad want to give me another one of his cars too.

·
Registered
397 Posts
What else does he want to give you?

What kind of bikes do you have?

I ride a TL1k'S and the frontier seems to compliment her well!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We got this car from my Father in law that got a new ford SUV.
My family has always had a corolla in the fleet. The "standard" car IMO. Right now we (my brother) is on Corolla #4 (2015). C3 (2002) is just sitting around. My dad currently had 4 cars, and it is just him and my mom. I just help him sell car #5 a couple of months ago. C3 is totally manual. New it would get 43 mpg. Roll up windows. It has 240K on the clock and it runs perfectly. He can sell it for ~$500. I told him it is not worth selling. He says come pick it up. My wife says I will need to get rid of something first. Funny ehhh. HER dad wants to give us a car and she OKs it. MY dad...
I ride DR350SE's. I have 2 running ones. Non running ones (frames or engines) are not included in the tally.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

It is basically this truck in silver. 4.6L V8 that makes something like 240 hp. Mated to a 5 speed slush box. Black leather. 3rd row seats. DVD player. side curtain airbags. Came with 9 wheels. 4 All-seasons. 4 blizzaks. 1 full size spare. 245/65/17 (29.5" OD).

Now the story on how it got here. FIL buys the new car. We say yes to taking delivery of it. 2 days later he emails. Says he found a "homeless" guy to drive it out to us. Will pay him $100, gas money, and for me to pay him $100 when he gets here. Then to take him to the train station and he will ride back. Guy picks up the car Sunday morning and hauls *** across the desert to our house. I am a little uneasy about this, not for the fact that the guy might steal the car, but sending a random person to my house. Monday morning (7:00AM) a large homeless man knocks on our door. Apparently he made the drive in 13 hours, arrived in the middle of the night and slept in our driveway. Wife invites him in to have breakfast with us. Sketchy. This dude looks and smells the part. He ask "how much you figure a train ticket cost". I look it up $231. ****!! First off he was only paid $200 for the job, and he spent a bunch of it already. Look into the train station down the hill in Reno: $121. I'll pay for your ticket and drive you there. Drive to reno. He heads to the station and speaks with the guy behind the bulletproof glass. "No ID no ticket". Guy says he has a drivers license but doesn't carry a current ID. Claims freedom and liberty. I assume warrants. Mind you this guy has been a stand up guy, did his job perfect, and I was not going to leave him out to dry. Amtrak says Greyhound will let you ride sans ID. Head to GH station. Guy buys ticket: $180. Only problem, one bus per day and it had already left the station. The thought of bringing him back home, letting him stay at my house while I was at work, spending the night, then driving him back to the GH station did enter my mind. I quickly crushed that thought like it was an ant at a picnic. Dude says he'll be fine. Thanks me for my help. I thank him for his service. We part ways. Drive to work with the windows rolled down in 30 degree weather to air out the rig.

Now how is this Frontier related. One of the reasons that I wanted this rig is to have a 2nd vehicle I can use in the winter. If I end up needing to do any work on the truck that might take more than one night I have to be very careful with the scheduling and the weather. This way I have more freedoms. As the Frontier ages, things are coming up kind of unexpectedly that might take her off line for several days. I keep anticipating a need for a new clutch. And per JrNV description, they let go with almost no warning. Mine is coming up on 80K.

Ohh and if you haven't figured it out already: I like things with wheels and engines.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If they're both paid for and you have room to park them, I see no reason to get rid of anything. The wife and I have 2 civics, a CR-V, and a Frontier. I keep trying to come up with a reason to get rid of one or both civics but they're not hurting anything. Insurance is negligible, they never break down (knocks on wood-like desk surface), I have enough room to park a car lot... The only way the truck will go is if I get another one to replace it.

BTW, that's a lonesome story. Could be made into some kind of melancholy independent film.

·
Super Moderator
11,274 Posts
"As the Frontier ages, things are coming up kind of unexpectedly that might take her off line for several days. I keep anticipating a need for a new clutch. And per JrNV description, they let go with almost no warning. Mine is coming up on 80K.

Ohh and if you haven't figured it out already: I like things with wheels and engines."

If you've been kind to your clutch it has a ways to go. Both of my kids learned to drive a manual on mine and traded it on my 2016 with 126,000 miles and still didn't slip, that includes pulling a trailer to and from Florida from NJ multiple times.

Clint

·
Registered
342 Posts
Wow that's kind of a crazy story. Your dad trusted a homeless guy to transport the car that many miles? Did they know each other well or something beforehand?

Congrats on the new (to you) ride! I've always liked Ford Explorers. And if you have a top of the line trim one, it's probably not much different then the Lincoln Aviator(something I contemplated getting used in the past before). So imagine it must be nice!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Wow that's kind of a crazy story. Your dad trusted a homeless guy to transport the car that many miles? Did they know each other well or something beforehand?

Congrats on the new (to you) ride! I've always liked Ford Explorers. And if you have a top of the line trim one, it's probably not much different then the Lincoln Aviator(something I contemplated getting used in the past before). So imagine it must be nice!
Father in Law (FIL) picks out the homeless guy from a lineup of homeless dudes at Walmart. I guess if he didn't steal the car, there was less chance that he was going to murder my family in the middle of the night. To his credit he is a pretty good judge of character, and does this kind of thing all the time with good results.

I feel rather gangster driving around in it, even though it is pretty nondescript on the outside. Black leather and puddle lights. The seat scoots back a couple of inches when you open the door.

If you've been kind to your clutch it has a ways to go. Both of my kids learned to drive a manual on mine and traded it on my 2016 with 126,000 miles and still didn't slip, that includes pulling a trailer to and from Florida from NJ multiple times.

Clint
That's good to know. I have babied the clutch its entire life, but sometimes it gets a workout. Rock crawling, and backing up a trailer up hill, is not easy on clutches.

Right now the whole front end of the frontier needs to come down. But I was going to wait till after winter, when I can drive my RWD car/motorcycle. I have a lokka locked front diff, new shocks and springs, total chaos UCA, and inner/outer tie rods ready to go in. The tie rods are seized to each other will need to be cut. I can not align the front end either; at least it is pretty close right now.

If they're both paid for and you have room to park them, I see no reason to get rid of anything. The wife and I have 2 civics, a CR-V, and a Frontier. I keep trying to come up with a reason to get rid of one or both civics but they're not hurting anything. Insurance is negligible, they never break down (knocks on wood-like desk surface), I have enough room to park a car lot... The only way the truck will go is if I get another one to replace it.

BTW, that's a lonesome story. Could be made into some kind of melancholy independent film.
Registration will be about $100-200 a year. Currently FIL pays $500/year to insure, I think I will pay less due to the total number of miles I can drive each year divided by the # of vehicles. Then I will have to transfer to CA registration. Smog once every 2 years ($80), that is if it pass the initial inspection. With the number of vehicles, it starts to add up.

And though I have the space to park it, the game of morning musical cars is a bit of a PITA.

If you allow yourself to be talked into getting rid of your Frontier you will regret it.
I know this. For starters going to an older vehicle with more miles on it, on a model that is known for blowing up transmissions, and getting rid of a back up vehicle. That in itself would just be stupid. Then there is the off road aspect. I do not want to build the Explorer, and it will take a lot of work to be trail worthy. No skid plates at all and so low to the ground. It is essentially a modern day mountain station wagon.

Finally there is the hauling capability. Most people that say use a trailer don't drive trailers. My trailer's suspension SUCKS. A 2' long, 2 leaf, leaf spring is it, no shocks. What ever rides in it gets beat up. When I cut firewood, it is a mini wheeling trip. No way a trailer would survive loaded up, with its 12" mini tires. Get a bigger better trailer; I rather not. I hate hauling a trailer.

We'll see how this plays out. Right now it is just fun to have a new car in the fleet. I might be joining the Explorer forum soon. Right now I just reading. Going to give that tranny some loving soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts