Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a lot of you I wanted a second tow hook on the driver's side. At first I added another right hand OEM tow hook, and that worked fine with the factory Pro-4X skid plate (just a minor bit of trimming). Once I upgraded my skid plates, that hook would no longer fit. Plus I never liked the design of the OEM hooks. With them sticking almost straight down to clear the bumper, it seems like there would be too much leverage at the mounting point on the frame. But haven't heard of them actually breaking. There's a video on youtube of a Frontier's tow hook being pulled off, but it looks like it was intact. Maybe just the bolts failed, IDK.

I've had a pair of Ironman4x4 recovery points that I've been meaning to install but I didn't like the way they worked with a shackle and the OEM bumper. The recovery points are fairly short which is good from a strength point -- the closer to the frame the pulling force is, the better. And although the lower valance piece can be trimmed to make a shackle work, it's a little difficult to attach and detach, and I still felt like the might interfere with the bumper a bit. Plus I like the simplicity of a sturdy tow hook.

So I modified the Ironman recovery points by drilling a second hole through the 12mm (1/2") steel to mount a tow hook to it. The front hole made for the shackle (25mm) is too big for a bolt but I was lucky enough to find a stainless steel spacer on Ebay with the perfect diameters to work with M12 bolts -- 25mm OD,13.1mm ID. It was only 10mm thick so I added a couple of 1mm thick crush washers. Then it was just a matter of bolting all the parts together and mounting to the frame. I used class 10.9 hardware.

If I decide I want to use d-ring shackles I can always just unbolt the tow hooks.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yeah that looks great! Eventually I will install a matching recovery point set using some 5/16 or 3/8 angle steel and just drilling out/cutting out a hole large enough to throw a hook through, and of course the two holes for the mounting bolts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts