Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from NJ!

My name is Bill and I traded my 07 toyota prius for a 04 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI 5.7 v8...I decided to sell it to a relative due to gas guzzling conditions!

I have been shopping for a Japanese truck thinking it can save me some gas compared to the Ram. So I'm really digging the Frontier (btw, i used to own a 2001 sentra se 2.0L, LOVED IT) ...I have been looking at the 3.3L v6 to the 4.0L v6 manny or auto doesn't matter.

So anyway I really signed on here to get more information on Nissan pick up trucks and thought that I'd ask some stuff...I know, I promise I will search before after my intro questions for you guys...

What do you guys do to improve gas mileage on your Frontys? I keep hearing changing exhaust...having it tuned...getting a chip??

If I do find a 3.3L instead of a 4.0 will I see much of a difference in drop for MPG? (of course in normal driving conditions)

Would you suggest for me to stay away from the 2001 Supercharged ones? Am I better off buying a 4.0L? I'm really trying not to have another truck that guzzles gas. My Ram is at 13city and 16hwy.

Thanks ladies and gents!

Bill

·
Registered
77 Posts
I personally went with the 2.5L. It's great on gas and I'm only hauling mountain bikes and dive gear so I dont need all the power of a 4.0.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Actually the 3.7's are less efficient with fuel than the 4.0's
With 33" Tires I get 15 city 20 highway

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Welcome. Here is the insight/experience I have....stay the hell away from the 3.3L if you are looking for good MPGs. I have an 02 Supercharged SE 3.3L Xterra and a 05 4.0L Frontier. My fronty has a 5" lift on 33" tires and I still get much better mileage than my STOCK Xterra. No BS, my 3.3L gets 13 MPGs city and 15 MPGs HWY. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't a 6 CYL, and be supercharged and still have 55 HP less than the 4.0L stock. If at all possible, find a 4.0L. I will not complain about bad mileage because I knew what I was getting into, but 13 MPGs city, on a 6 banger....really? Atleast with the Dodge you had previously, you got a f-ton of power. The 4.0L is night and day when it comes to power and mileage.
I drive the Frontier like a jack-a$$ and my wife drives the X like a saint, and I still get better mileage than her. Again man, no complaints from either vehicle, but if you are concerned with MPGs, the 3.3L is NOT the way to go. Hope this helps in your decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally went with the 2.5L. It's great on gas and I'm only hauling mountain bikes and dive gear so I dont need all the power of a 4.0.
Good point Eliminator, I am going to be probably hauling 1 ton of stuff on the bed...can I put a HITCH on a 2.5L? And also what are you getting on MPG?
Is a 2.5L available in a 4x4 or just a 2wd? If so for a 2wd, is it a pain in the you know what when it comes to snow??

Thanks

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Welcome. My buddy had a stock '01 supercharged 4X4 and got 12-13 mpg. The stock 2WD trucks do a little better on mpg (21-22), but if you leave the stock tires on and drive with a light foot, you can easily get 17-18 mpg out of a 4X4 auto 2nd gen VQ40. (Maybe +1 from a man. 6 speed).

Use the search feature in the tool bar and start reading, you'll find hours worth of stuff and lots of threads on the mpg topic.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Welcome to Club Frontier.

I can only speak about the 4.0L I have (2006 crew cab 4x4).

All around driving (80% city and 20% highway) I get approx. 18.x mpg (that's all seasons)
Summer more like 19.x mpg, winter more like 17.x mpg.

One trip I took averaging 54.x mph I pulled a 24.x mpg traveling 45 miles, some small hills and going easy on the skinny pedal (it was a twisty road).

As someone mentioned the 2wd trucks will obviously get better mileage than my 4x4.
(I have a few mods that would effect gas mileage, you can check them in my gallery)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts