Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new frontier a few days ago, 2006 Frontier SE 4x2 King Cab in Storm Gray. I am going to order the new Sony CDX-gt400 (I am favoring the gt400 over the gt300 so that I can stick with the nice amber theme that the frontier has going):

Sony CDX-gt400

and install it with the Scosche kit:

Scosche Kit

Since that head unit is currently back-ordered I have a while to wait and I thought I would look into upgrading the stock speakers. Unfortunately, looking through the archives, great wealth of information that they are, hasn't helped a great deal. I found conflicting reports about what speaker sizes to use (two different posts in one recent thread I'm sure I misinterpreted, suggested that the door speaker are 6x8 or 6x9) and many people seem to be "forcing" their speakers into place in various manners. I don't have much experience with car audio and for all I know the various sizes I'm seeing quoted are all the same thing. So, I thought I would ask more specifically:

Are the speakers in the 06 Frontier SE KC a standard size? What sizes are they (or at least what's closest)? More to the point, what sizes should I buy?

Is this sort of information available in the service manual you can "purchase" as a download at Nissan? or elsewhere?

I'm thinking that my first project will be adding the missing 5th and 6th speakers into the dash. Can the stock cd player accomodate 6 speakers? Any tips (other than what speaker size to get)?

I'm really liking this truck (replaces a '95 Ranger). In a way it's unfortunate that I discovered these boards; I'm not thinking about much other than the various upgrades people have done (I'll probably do the OEM foglights soon).

Michael

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
front's are 6x9's - they fit right in no problem - plenty of room in there...

the rears are a 6" round, but from what i understand, the housing is built into the speaker (although i have not personally investigated) so there may be some fabrication needed to get one mounted in the doors (this is the KC btw)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

Okay, for the door speakers that's one vote for 6x9 and one vote for 6x8 but 6x9 will fit. I'll go with 6x9, at least that's two votes that it will work <grin> :)

And the back are 6" with the possible need for modifications. Works for me. The very front ones are pretty easy to get at so I suspect I could get a rough measure on those.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What 6x9 speakers did you install? Going by the recommendations at Crutchfield, they sell only 2 that fit, a $50 pair of Kenwoods and a $160ish pair of Alpines. Nothing in between. Unfortunately, there isn't anything in the description or appearance of the speakers that gives me any kind of indication of why some "fit" and others don't.

I read somewhere (on some forum) that the max depth for the front door speakers is a tad over 3" but that criteria alone doesn't seem to distinguish. I'm thinking that I can probably get most 6x9 speakers to fit (less than 3" deep) with some work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I threw caution to the wind and bought some speakers despite sites like Crutchfield and CircuitCitiy.com inidcating that they would not fit. I bought:

Pioneer 6" x 9" 3-Way Speakers (TS-A6971R)

Pioneer 6 1/2" 3-Way Speakers (TS-A1671R)

CircuitCity.com is currently having a 15% off online sale on their speakers so I bought them online and drove over and picked them up, saving me shipping to boot.

Crutchfield and CircuitCity.com both say that those 6x9 speakers won't fit in the truck. The were wrong. After taking out the stock speakers I found that the Pioneer 6x9 holes match exactly with the holes in the mount used by the stock speakers (fyi these were marked "Nissan" on the back). There is a short plastic registration pin sticking up next to one of the screw holes in the door that was keeping the speaker from seating completely. I snipped that off and with a little twisting to squeeze it between the edges of the mount it's an easy matter to get the speaker to sit very well in the stock speaker mount.

The 6.5" speakers in the back door are a different story. Both Crutchfield and CircuitCity.com indicate that these will fit in the back door. You could simply set the speakers into the holes left by the stock speakers (as others have reported, the stock speakers and mount are an integral part; remove that and all you have is a hole in the sheetmetal). I have no idea what sort of adaptor Crutchfield provides to make this work, or what critieria they use to determine what does and does not fit, but I ended up cutting a mount out of 3/4" plywood (the original mount lifts the speaker away from the door about that much). I cut a disk with a radius of 4.5" (roughly the size of the stock speaker mount) and then used the template that came with the pioneer speakers (actually printed on the box) to cut a hole in the disk to mount the speaker. The screws that were originally used to screw the mount to the door are too short to screw through the 3/4" plywood disk. You could of course use longer screws but I was in too much of a hurry (and didn't have any on hand) so I used the original mount as a template to mark the screw holes then drilled countersink holes to the right depth so that the original screws will work (I think it was a 3/4" diameter hole). The stock back door speakers were actually marked Blaupunkt! Obviously not their better quality speakers.

To finish it off I cut notches on the bottom to run the wires through and glued some strips of cork sheeting to serve as a gasket between the speaker and the plywood (I have no idea if this is even necessary).

All of that said, I haven't acttually mounted this to the truck yet (ran out of sunlight after getting the front speakers done). I'll report back for the recod on how it goes.

WIth regard to the Service Manual, I bought the one day subscription to the Nissan Publications site and downloaded it. It's separated into multiple pdf files, one per chapter, so it took some time (but not too bad, 45 files all told). The first pdf files serves as a "table of contents" so all you need to do is have all of the downloaded pdf files in the same directory as that file on your computer. The downlaod is a bargain considering that the paper version sells for over $300 at that site! I simply printed out the pages I needed on how to remove the door trim.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've been thinking about a rear speaker upgrade to complement the MB Quarts I put in the front. I was wondering if you think I could get some 6X9s in there. Also, if you could post some pix, that would be really helpful so I could visualize and plan for a future project. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a few photographs but they aren't particularly high in quality (taken with my phone) and I did a poor job of documenting the project (I tend to look back on these adventures fondly and just as well not have any reminders of what went wrong :) )

There is quite a bit of room in there and if I had to guess I would think that you probably could manage to mount 6x9 speakers. especially as you can add a spacer/adapter to fit. I added a 3/4" plywood mount to bring my 6.5" speakers away from sheetmetal to match the positioning of the stock speakers. The door panel itself has a circular "foam" gasket on it around the speaker grill that appears to be intended to match the speaker diameter when in place and that might have to be removed (just glued on).

All of that said, my experience in working with car speakers is what you see in this thread so I'm far from being any kind of expert and I personally wouldn't spend money on my recomendation.

The Pioneer speakers I put in made a huge difference. Others have reported that changing the stock speakers made little difference when matched with the stock head unit but the change I noticed was significant. I'm far from being an audiophile but I found the stock system to be a bit "washed out" with little "definition" (does that make sense in this context). The new speakers definitely fixed that. I'm really looking forward to the new head unit...then I need to figure out where to mount the cd changer. I would assume that they're pretty sturdy if people are simply putting them on the floor behind the seats.

The photos:

Michael Brock
2006 Frontier SE, 4x2 KC in beautiful Storm Gray

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i 100% agree with the way the stockers sound - especially the stock 6"'rs in the back - they sound horribly muddy...

the 6x9 infinity's i put in the front doors made a huge difference, i cannot wait to hear it with the new rears...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts