Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or something! About 3 weeks ago the truck started squeeling and chirping (the former when laying on the gas, latter with the foot off the pedal but in gear). So today the dealership put it up on a lift and my front drive shaft is rubbing against the tranny crossmember. It's sort of puzzling me because, sure I jumped the truck a few times a couple months ago, but this only developed a few weeks ago. Wouldn't jumping the truck make the DB push up higher, not drop down? From a visual inspection nothing looks out of the ordinary. I'm going to try to get it up on a lift here on base sometime this weekend and see if I can find anything loose. There wasn't much play in lining up the bolts for the lift so I can't really see how anything could shift without bolts or brackets breaking.

On the upside, I love any chance I get to get dirty in the guts of my truck haha!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Sorry to hear.. I've seen/heard a DB. hit real hard landing a jump.

Get well soon!

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
So today the dealership put it up on a lift and my front drive shaft is rubbing against the tranny crossmember.
Can you take a picture? Is it rubbing the T-case crossmember not the suport bracket to the crossmembers?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you take a picture? Is it rubbing the T-case crossmember not the suport bracket to the crossmembers?
At the dealership it was sitting right on the bracket. As you see here, there is a gap between the two but you can still see the ring around the shaft from where it rubs as it spins. This would explain why sometimes I get the noise and sometimes I don't... apparently sometimes there is a space and sometimes not. Sorry the picture is so blurry, it was just hard for me to get a good angle on it while laying on the ground.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
check your front diff mounts bushings , maybe they have come loose or wore out causing the diff to move up and down

which would move your DS up and down causing the DS to hit the cross member

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Ok that looks like the suport bracket to the crossmembers.

If you push up or pull on the shft does it move?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i have seen stock trucks that have landed so hard, the A arms bottomed out and pushed the frame in. this caused the radiator to push in and fold, dumping all the fluid.

i didn't spend too much time under his truck because it was raining pretty hard and he had a tow truck coming, but his crossmembers had to have been damaged for the frame to push in that much. i would suggest having a body shop look at the frame and see if it is straight.
is the back window parallel with the top of the bed? if it isn't, the frame is twisted.

do what others have suggested first and check the frame as a last resort.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found the problem...

how do your coilbuckets look?
Coilbuckets look fine. There are some old indentions from the stock uca's hitting, but everything looked fine in the suspension and frame. So I crawled back under the truck and started playing around with the shaft (get your heads out of the gutter, boys!) and found quite a bit of up and down play. Maybe about a cm. in either direction. Looked forward to where the rear side of the differential is bolted to the truck and there is alot of play in the area that the bolt goes into (the bolt right to the left of the shaft in the picture). I'm not sure what exactly surrounds the bolt... a bushing?

So I went back inside I looked on courtesy parts and the closest thing I could come up with is Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com In the service manual (page FFD-15 for those of you that have access to it) it is labeled as a bushing, and courtesy parts calls it an insulator, so I would assume it's the same thing. $60! Holy crap. Maybe I'll go ahead and do the cv joint as well since I'll have the differential off of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot the picture of what I'm talking about

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Make sure all 3 mounting bolts are tight for the diff.
I have a tuff time believing the bushings are bad but if you need them I have someone's old diff I could knock them out give them to you.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's definitely play right at that bushing. Of course, I never played around with it before now so I don't know how it's supposed to feel.... There are a few other 2nd gen Frontiers in the parking lot, so maybe I'll go molest someone else's truck for a second haha! Imagine explaining that one to the owner.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
started playing around with the shaft and found quite a bit of up and down play.
Of course, I never played around with it before now so I don't know how it's supposed to feel....
so maybe I'll go molest someone else's for a second haha! Imagine explaining that one to the owner.
had to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I went back out to the parking lot and the only other Frontier out there at the moment was a 2wd, so it was useless to me. Then a guy with a 4wd pulled into the parking lot and I crawled under his truck but it was too hot to really mess around with anything so I'll go back out in an hour or so and what I can find. His bushing looked really tight (haha) but I don't know what part of the difference in appearance is from the lift and what is it possibly being messed up. I'm sort of aggravated. I was at least going to retint my windows while I was out there so I couldn't do much else and then right when I was about to start the application process a breeze kicked up so I had to call it quits.

Oh yeah, I made a quick video showing the amount of play at the bushing. I'll put it up on youtube here in a second so you guys can take a look and tell me what you think.

Here's the video. It's sideways but you get the point.
YouTube - Front differential rear mounting bushing

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a couple more pictures of a sideview of the bushing and the angle of the differential. The last picture is the stock bushing on the other guy's truck. Mine looks like a spider and his looks solid. WTF.

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I hung from the shaft but still couldn't get it to pull down and touch the bracket. Yet, I know at the dealership it was sitting right on the bracket because they brought me out into the shop and showed me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
its probably shifting up and down only when your in 4wd
try goin onto a dirt road turn the truck into 4lo , only back up in 4lo switch back into 2wd then check to see if the diff and shaft shifted back up

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There's no change in 4wd. I tried it a few days ago to see if the noise went away or changed any and it didn't. I'll try what you said though. The other truck should be cool now so I'm gonna go play with that too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts