Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out offroading with a local Xterra club last Saturday, suffered some damage which turned into a weekend long adventure.

All these pictures are from the other guys, i wasn't in the mood for pictures, haha.

Day started out good, we did a side trail to try our luck on this rock climb, not a very good picture but you get the idea. One of the guys on 35’s made it up, 2 other xterra’s gave up, and then I tried.

Tried to crawl, not enough traction, so I tried to bump it. Steering wheel went all weird and everyone was yelling. Driver’s side tire was at a 90 degree angle to the other tire. Didn’t get any pictures because I was just trying to back off the rocks, rolled the truck back to a semi flat area.

Got the wheel off for a closer look:

Got it off, found 2 rocks…

Got it back on and was good to go. In hindsight, I should have left it at that, but it was feeling good, so I decided to keep going and just take it easy. I skipped all of the other side trails we did, and was just going along. We got up to a higher elevation and hit snow, well, more like ice. It was a road with a bunch of cross ditches, not too hard, in and out the other side, lots of *** dragging. Got to one deeper ditch with no traction coming out, turns out it didn’t take much for the weakened tie rod to give out. Snapped it in half this time.
Stuck on this icy hill

It was the afternoon by now and after thinking it out, one of the guys offered to drive me into town to try to get the part. The rest of the guys said they would stay behind and get my truck off the hill. It was really weird to leave my truck behind for a recovery; here are some of their pics

This is also a good shot of the tire carrier I just built.

And the little bastard:

It took about an hour to get off the mountain and into cell reception, I started working the phones. Turns out that no one close enough to get me back to my truck, could get me the part that day. I bought some wheel lug locks and we drove back up. I figured that if someone burned my truck to the ground or broke into it, insurance would cover that. But if they stole my tires, I was screwed. The guys had rescued my truck, and it was out of the way. I loaded all of my stuff into another truck, put on the wheel locks, said a prayer, and left it there for the night.

My wife brought the part out for me early the next morning, and 2 of the guys took me back up. There were some people there, but thank goodness nothing had happened to my truck. Pretty lucky, there are some bad stories in the area of what happens to trucks left overnight up there. Got the truck jacked up, new tie rod on, and we were driving within 10 minutes.

All fixed

Fairly happy it’s over now, was a good thing I was rolling with such a good group of guys. Now I’m shopping for some beefier tie rod adjusters…

·
Registered
417 Posts
That sucks man. Glad everything was able to be fixed easily and that you had some good guys with you.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hey man -

I say hell yeah! Thats badass you were all able to get that taken care of. Thats why you always wheel with others, or have a good pair of hiking boots. Also nice to wheel with guys that know how to work on trucks and have tools. I always wheel with my tools, axe, hammers, all that. Good for you, its all over now!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Good to hear it all ended up fine other than a fearful night of sleep not knowing how the rig is!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
time to keep spares on you and to go to AC adjusters

lesson learned

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
at least you were prepared. :goodjob:

·
Registered
885 Posts
I gotta try and make it next time. Does calmini make a steering system for the D22?

I was impressed at the system for my D21... was quite a bit beefier.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
nice!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Nice, it's good that everything worked fine in the end.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
good story, glad it worked out, i wouldn't be able to sleep that night knowing my truck was vulnerable like that on a trail

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. Just a FYI. Something like this happend to me, but I was on a dirt bike. The shifter snapped in half. I went double with a friend to get a diffrent on. No one had it in stock, but be cause I brought the old on with me, a shop was able to weld it for me. You can always find some on with a welder.

It worked out for you this time, but just a thought for you if any thing like that happens again. Talk the old one, cuz you might get it welded if you cant find the part.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey man -

Also nice to wheel with guys that know how to work on trucks and have tools. I always wheel with my tools, axe, hammers, all that. Good for you, its all over now!
Yeah, it was actually funny. I used my jack to get the tire off the ground, then went back to my backseat for my tool kit. by the time I get back, 3 of the dudes had their tool boxes out and were handing me wrenches. Then when I needed to winch out, I was like, i'll plug in the winch, another guy was like nah, I'll use mine. Everyone likes an excuse to use their gear.

good story, glad it worked out, i wouldn't be able to sleep that night knowing my truck was vulnerable like that on a trail
Yeah, I ended up staying over at my mom's house and was able to get into the well stocked beer fridge for a good night sleep.

Glad it worked out for you. Just a FYI. Something like this happend to me, but I was on a dirt bike. The shifter snapped in half. I went double with a friend to get a diffrent on. No one had it in stock, but be cause I brought the old on with me, a shop was able to weld it for me. You can always find some on with a welder.

It worked out for you this time, but just a thought for you if any thing like that happens again. Talk the old one, cuz you might get it welded if you cant find the part.
yeah, that was something that came across my mind once I figured out no one had the part, that i should have brought it down, someone could have welded it just enough to get me off the mountain.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Thats whats up, go hard or go home.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats whats up, go hard or go home.
lol, exactly. or, in this case, go hard, and then go home....without your truck. haha

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
lol, exactly. or, in this case, go hard, and then go home....without your truck. haha
Its all about the memories, and although it was hairy sounds like a memorable trip.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts