Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Pro-4x and its my first pick up truck, love it to death as I have always driven Jeeps. However, twice now after some off-roading I noticed some dents and almost "puncture" into my rear cab. I will try to post some photos. Am I just going too hard on it? Should I ease up until I can beef up suspension a bit more - still on stock bilsteins. Or is it an issue of tightening some bolts down under the bed? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
764 Posts
holy smokes!!!! i dont think ive seen that before...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found another thread from back in O7 - apparently it is not that uncommon! They recommended slapping some rock guards on there. The bed is in full flex when it bottoms out and I guess that is when it comes into contact. Super common when the trailer hitch snags. Never heard of it before - thank god for this forum lol Sliders and shaving down that corner piece so it's not as sharp should help a ton. Trail damage is never the end of the world though - shows people it is used as intended!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found another thread from back in O7 - apparently it is not that uncommon! They recommended slapping some rock guards on there. The bed is in full flex when it bottoms out and I guess that is when it comes into contact. Super common when the trailer hitch snags.

What do you mean rock guards? Pics? Link?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry might have used strange terminology! I meant Rock sliders, such as ones made by white knuckle offroad or dezert runner offroad. They help guard the sides of your truck to avoid your frame from scraping as well as protect from body damage from rocks while crawling. They can also be a good side step if your truck is lifted. Apparently they help with limiting bed flex also which I did not know but now makes sense - hope it does the trick! I need them for other body protection anyways.

For example:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Me neither. I've got my WK DOM sliders sitting in my basement waiting for installation. I won't be doing too much until they're on... Not sure if they'll be a cure all, but I'm sure they'll help stiffen the frame somewhat. Never considered this until this thread. Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Jeez, i thought i was bad. I've had my truck cap/topper hit the cab a few times. It's what happens on pickups, never left much of a mark and definitely not a hole. If you are bottoming out your truck...slow down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeez, i thought i was bad. I've had my truck cap/topper hit the cab a few times. It's what happens on pickups, never left much of a mark and definitely not a hole. If you are bottoming out your truck...slow down.
I don't recall bottoming out throughout the trail as I didn't have much room to pick up speed in the snow, but I do specifically remember one large pothole that I hit fairly quick and I think that is what did it. The first hole which has touch up paint happened out in the desert and was most likely from high speed. But I will for sure slow down lol at least until I get my titan swap done :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Me neither. I've got my WK DOM sliders sitting in my basement waiting for installation. I won't be doing too much until they're on... Not sure if they'll be a cure all, but I'm sure they'll help stiffen the frame somewhat. Never considered this until this thread. Thanks!
Right! I'm so used to Jeep's I didn't even think I would run into this issue. I have touch up paint and primer but was toying with the idea of filing in the puncture with some sort of puddy- almost like caulking it so it evens out with the body. Not sure if I am thinking too much into it or if that is worth looking into lol otherwise I can deal with the battle scars

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right! I'm so used to Jeep's I didn't even think I would run into this issue. I have touch up paint and primer but was toying with the idea of filing in the puncture with some sort of puddy- almost like caulking it so it evens out with the body. Not sure if I am thinking too much into it or if that is worth looking into lol otherwise I can deal with the battle scars
Thinking something along the lines of bondo or something similar.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Wowza!

and I thought I had taken some rough drops and hits. Of course now I'm going to be checking all body mount bolts and making sure everything is secure before going out again.

Bondo, sand, primer, sand, touch up paint. Should hopefully keep it undetectable at 5-10ft.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have had the rear of my truck flexed to the max (wheel off the ground) multiple times and never had this issue. I have a tool box held in with J bolts so maybe that helps? I have also had the truck "sit down" on the hitch dropping into larger depressions where the most of the weight landed on the hitch which no issues.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
This is a common issue. I had these dents on both sides of my cab on my 2010 SE KC and so do several other members I wheel with. The frame is flexing when on uneven ground. If you are going to go off road, this is going to happen. Some are worse than others due to assembly tolerances.

I would suggest trying to carefully file or grind down the sharp point on the bed to create a little more clearance. Then touch up any bare metal to prevent rust.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is a common issue. I had these dents on both sides of my cab on my 2010 SE KC and so do several other members I wheel with. The frame is flexing when on uneven ground. If you are going to go off road, this is going to happen. Some are worse than others due to assembly tolerances.

I would suggest trying to carefully file or grind down the sharp point on the bed to create a little more clearance. Then touch up any bare metal to prevent rust.
I think that will definitely be the initial plan to file down the point. Glad to hear it's more common than I thought. I mentioned it above, but have you heard of people adding rock sliders to help stiffen the frame a bit to help also ?

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have had the rear of my truck flexed to the max (wheel off the ground) multiple times and never had this issue. I have a tool box held in with J bolts so maybe that helps? I have also had the truck "sit down" on the hitch dropping into larger depressions where the most of the weight landed on the hitch which no issues.

Hmm the J bolts might secure it a bit better. I learned its common on some frontys, still the best MF'n midsize though

1 - 20 of 25 Posts