Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I figured I would add my build to the list of many other builds here. I live in Upstate NY and my truck is a daily driver/weekend off-road warrior. ive been about 30000 miles on a set of bilstien 5100 series front and rears. I bought this as I really wanted the truck to sit level and give the front a little more clearance. truck has been great with no issues. my best friend bought a YJ wrangler and has encouraged/motivated me to offroad more with him and quickly my truck has shown it cant keep up in its current state.... tuff to compare a pickup with the nimble jeep but I can certainly try. LOL. so to better my off-road presence and still try and keep it a friend DD/work truck I'm moving up in the world.

Current Truck.
2012 Black Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4X4 SV with sport appearance.....except no big stickers on it lol

Current setup:
SPC UCA's (bought from performancelifts.com)
Radflo 2.0 coil overs with 650lb springs (bought from performancelifts.com) (upgraded from the Bilstein 5100 leveling kit (bought from PRG)
PRG Deaver 2" 2 leaf rear - pairing with my Bilstien 5100 rear shocks (bought from performancelifts.com)
shrockworks frame sliders (bought from a member here)
radiator skid and engine skid from PP Engineering 3/16" steel (see post #12 for raw pics and installed pics)
Tires Falken WildPeak A/T3W (local garage)
WAM Bumpers winch bumper with extended bumper wings. (see post #14 for pics)
WAM Bumpers light bar attachment. (see post # 17)
SmittyBilt XRC 9.5 gen2 winch with synthetic rope. (bought from 4wheelonline.com)
Leitner ACS (Active Cargo System) with 2 gear pods. (trailfourty.com)

Next on the upgrade list:
??? what to do next ???

FYI:
PerformanceLifts.com has awesome customer service and great prices. they are also about 10 min. from Radflo so there turn around time on the special order coil overs is amazing.
the people at WAM Bumpers had great customer service, quick communication and the lead time on the custom winch bumper is about 2 weeks.

Picture of my truck with everything up to date. truck is nearly perfect now!!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
first couple of boxes have arrived and more boxes on the way.

Here is a side by side of the stock UCA and the new SPC UCA. so much nicer!!

Previously I had upgraded my front with the Bilstein leveling kit so this shows a side by side with the new Radflo 2.0

Driver side SPC UCA and Radflo 2.0 Coilover installed

I had to use my grinder and remove about an 1/8" -3/16" of the rolled lip on the upper coil bucket mount so the rubber on the UCA would clear. this was needed on both sides, not a very difficult thing to do. I painted it all black when I was done. I shielded the inner wheel well from the engine compartment to prevent any sparks from grinding from shooting up into the engine bay.

Passenger front

PRG deaver 2 leaf spring kit for the rear. used a jack under the rear ball to support the axle. you really need to disconnect the brake lines both sides and sensor wires both side and the ebrake cable on the passenger side to allow the axle to drop enough to get the new leaf springs on. I used to big "C" clamps to compress the deaver springs with the factory 3 springs. its a slow process but needed so you can tighten the single center bolt without stripping it.

1 inch spacers added to the rear

picture of the truck before the work, note that I'm all ready sitting on the Bilstein kit in the front so you wont see as much of a difference

picture of the truck after. I gained almost exactly 2-1/2" of lift in the rear and just under 1-1/2" of added lift to the front. I left the coilovers alone for now, ill be adjusting them after I add the skid plates and winch bumper.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
synthetic liiiiiiiiiine. sploosh.
yeah I went for it. i hear nothing but good things, or maybe i should say the pros outweigh the cons. wont know for sure until i start really using this. my buddy bought the same winch with a steel cable for his YJ so ill have a good comparison of the two.

added another picture to the above post. another box arrived yesterday. PRG rear leaf kit. very excited!!

·
Registered
772 Posts
When you install the winch I would strongly suggest relocating the control box somewhere with easier access. I need to redo mine after my winch install. The few times I've messed with the winch, reaching your arm down inside the grill is a PITA.
The cross bar gets in the way of the control box as well and needs to be trimmed with a saw or cut off wheel. So to avoid that relocation is recommended. Just trying to help with info I found when doing mine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I have the Smittybilt XC 10,000 winch with synthetic cable and really like it .... It has been used many times in the two years that it has been installed. I moved the control box up on the radiator support (at the top of the grille opening) ... although I never need to access it since I am always using it in the wireless remote mode.

Post pics when you get yours mounted

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Updated post #5 with a bunch more pictures. sorry for not having more pics. I worked on my truck between thunderstorms and sometimes in the storm so I didn't get as many pics as I wanted.
I worked on the front Friday after work and it took me about 4 hours to get both sides done. I also didn't have a 32mm socket for the SPC UCA upper connection so I had to get on my motorcycle Saturday morning and make a trip to my local NAPA. this needed to be torqued to 150ft/lb. I sprayed all my connections two days before I tackled the project and I think this helped a great deal, I recommend this for anyone who doesn't have a brand new truck.
the rear springs took me about 3 hours. supported the truck on jack stands and used my floor jack to support the rear axle. as noted above you really need to disconnect your brake lines on both sides and the wheel sensor wires on both sides and I ended up disconnecting the e-brake cable on the passenger side. this allows you to lower the axle without damaging these lines. I used 2 "C" clamps to help compress the new springs with the factory springs while tightening the centering bolt, its a slow process but I works well. you do need to cut of the extra length of threaded bolt that's left once your set, then you can put your bump stop back on.

stay tuned for more pics. my PP Engineering radiator skid plate and engine/oil pan skid plate arrive today. My WAM Bumpers Winch bumper should be here tomorrow. ill be painting and then mounting them all up.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
PP Engineering skid plates arrived today. 3/16" plated steel. radiator skid and the engine/oil pan skid. the two bolt together as you will see. I painted them both a gun metal gray. very easy installation as long as you have a body to help you lift the bigger skid up and help you hold it in place to get the bolts in. 4 bolt mount the radiator skid to the frame and then three bolts mount the engine/oil pan skid to the radiator skid and the 2 more bolt mount the engine/oil pan skid to the frame, there is a cross member that already has threaded holes. fitment was great, the mounting holes in the skids are slotted so you have some wiggle room to line things up.

this picture shows that you can retain all your factory plastic if you want to. the one plastic shroud piece end up under the radiator skid and covers it so its not very visible if you keep all the factory plastic. but you know your protected...... I imagine if you end up taking a shot to the radiator skid the plastic will probably end up rather damaged if its not just ripped off, lol. we shall see.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My WAM Bumper arrived yesterday. the bumper looks great, I'm very pleased with the quality of work and Natalie is good people. very good communication and it took about 2-1/2 weeks from when I ordered to when I got the bumper. this is the winch bumper with the added wings on the side for added protection in case of a impact. bumper comes with two auxiliary brackets which reinforce the connection with the truck frame and winch bumper. got it painted up..... stay tuned for mounted pictures.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Looks awesome. Natalie built my front bumper. She has a customer for life with me. Can't wait to see pics of it on the truck!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
first day back in the woods after having finished all the work and I'm so pleased with how the truck handles. and yes I also got stuck. used the winch to pull my self through and also winch a boulder out of the way with a snatch block set up. my buddy and his YJ are always getting me into trouble..... but I hold my own!!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So after having mounted my recessed/hidden winch bumper from WAM Bumpers I lost the location I had previously mounted my off road lights. the winch bumper comes with 2 locations to mount off road lights but this is designed more for the single post mount style lights and I have the rectangular style lights with dual mounting locations. so I decided to design a light bar that would be mounted to the winch bumper using the existing bumpers mounting tabs.

this is the design I came up with at home on my computer. and I sent this to WAM Bumpers and spoke with Natalie and she sent this to her CAD guy and then produced the first light bar attachment for the hidden winch bumper.

she mailed it to me and this in the light bar attachment mounted to the hidden winch bumper from WAM Bumpers.

I think I turned out great. this gives us buyers the chance to now mount different style lights in multiple positions. its removable to you can quickly disconnect if you need to for any reason. it also elevates the lights which will help to diminish the amount of road glare you get on the ground in front of the truck making your lights much more functional. I really dig this and I hope you guys like it as well.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just another update to my ride. I added a Leitner ACS (Active Cargo System). I really needed racks for work, but also wanted it to be more than just a rack. the Leitner Design is above par, amazing quality and the thought that went into this system, allowing it to be so easily added to for your needs is just amazing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts