Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to replace the stock muffler, putting in a Flowmaster 50 series 3 chambered muffler. 2.5" offset 2.5" center out. In addition, I changed out the factory Y pipe that comes out of the cats! Being that the factory Y pipe is pinched!
Love Love the sound, and you can still have a conversation inside the cab! I enclosed a picture where you could see where they are pinched as they enter into the Y factory pipe! P View attachment 332368 View attachment 332368
E7668A7F-6CD4-4F68-A2FE-C3FCE946AE3F.jpeg
Flowmaster 50 series delta flow Youtube.com

Attachments

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I decided to replace the stock muffler, putting in a Flowmaster 50 series 3 chambered muffler. 2.5" offset 2.5" center out. In addition, I changed out the factory Y pipe that comes out of the cats! Being that the factory Y pipe is pinched!
Love Love the sound, and you can still have a conversation inside the cab! I enclosed a picture where you could see where they are pinched as they enter into the Y factory pipe! View attachment 332363
Any drone issues? My Grand Prix w/ FlowMaster 40s drones a bit at around 1900RPM.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just drove the freeway and no drone issues the 50 series is the way to go if you don't want drone are used to have the 40 series Flowmaster and that one has drone

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
Stainless steel Y-pipe & muffler?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, The original muffler did not fail, I really did it to open up the exhaust a little bit, When I saw the pinched factory Y pipe, I wanted
The exhaust to be less restrictive, especially on highway driving.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
16 Posts
No, The original muffler did not fail, I really did it to open up the exhaust a little bit, When I saw the pinched factory Y pipe, I wanted
The exhaust to be less restrictive, especially on highway driving.
I have the 2019 frontier SV 4x4 CC but Flowmaster doesn't show a fit for my rig. Any ideas on how to upgrade?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the 2019 frontier SV 4x4 CC but Flowmaster doesn't show a fit for my rig. Any ideas on how to upgrade?
Stainless steel Y-pipe & muffler?
if you go to the Flowmaster website it might tell you it does not fit, taking it to a muffler shop that you know of would be the thing to do it's basically cutting the pipes to make the mufflers fit, IMO

·
Registered
34 Posts
Caliman....did you notice any loss in torque / horsepower in any of the power bands with the removal of the stock factory Y pipe? Did it trigger a Check Engine Light after the removal? California is such a pain in the a when it comes to exhaust & emissions.**

I'm thinking of deleting the pinched stock factory Y pipe but I'm hesitant to make any changes to my truck while it's still under factory warranty. Any feedback you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks!...

·
Registered
22 Posts
"....did you notice any loss in torque / horsepower in any of the power bands with the removal of the stock factory Y pipe? Did it trigger a Check Engine Light after the removal? "

I replaced the OEM Y with a Magna Flow Y on my 2012 Xterra Pro4X. I tried to keep the pipe sizing as close to the pipe size of the OEM exhaust piping. small pipes = torque over HP and large pies sacrifice torque and juice HP.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Caliman....did you notice any loss in torque / horsepower in any of the power bands with the removal of the stock factory Y pipe? Did it trigger a Check Engine Light after the removal? California is such a pain in the a when it comes to exhaust & emissions.**

I'm thinking of deleting the pinched stock factory Y pipe but I'm hesitant to make any changes to my truck while it's still under factory warranty. Any feedback you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks!...
doing a cat-back exhaust won't trigger a CEL. getting a better Y pipe will give slight flow improvement, but the ECM will keep things adjusted to near-stock levels.
Z-1 Offroad recently did a video of testing (on dyno) a bunch of exhausts ( on a stock tune IIRC ) and the difference was minor. Tone was varied.
They also did an intake review.
To get actual benefit from intake & exhaust you will need a tune.
IIRC the stock muffler is a glass-packed 'straight through' design versus a baffled design like Flowmaster. If you keep to a 2.5-3" exhaust you will see approx stock power levels.
Most of the exhaust tuning and scavenging that motorheads due is defeated by the cats. exhaust pulses hit the cats and mostly go right back to the valves. The only thing gained by going with larger pipes is max capacity of the system. Calculators I've been through all agree at 2.6-2.8" piping after the Y. Changing the pipe size also affects the tone/resonance (often expressed as in-cab noise at 2500rpm)
A KC will have different cab noise than a CC.

Reactions: RichMac

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
At hwy speeds/RPMs a freer flowing exhaust won't matter (much).

·
Registered
329 Posts
i used the doug thorley cat back that sounds good BUT only because Borla had not made one for my 2011 SV, 304 lifetime stainless, whats not to like. most use cheeper 409 stainless that corrodes a protective layer but in time wont come apart unless 304 stainless systems that only discolor in the snow belt after 10 years!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts