Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I've been seeing some of you guys talk about your gas mileage being up around 19-23 mpg. I assume most of these are 2 wheel drive and possible 4 cylinders to be pushing the top end of that range. I've had my frontier for almost 3k miles now and seems like my mpg has stopped fluctuating at about 16.8 mpg. I'm not complaining as it's already an increase over my 3.3l xterra I used to have with a lot more power. Most of my driving has been around town to 75 mile round trips on the freeway with a couple 300 mile freeway trips thrown in. I have an airaid cold air intake on the way along with an airaid throttle body spacer. Looking at a bullydog tunner and super 44 flowmaster cat back in the near future. Hoping to help out a little but if not that's ok too. The hp increase should make up for it! Anyone running anything close to this that can let me know what to expect I'd appreciate it..

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah, I get between 22-24 mpg consistently. But, I have a 2x4, 4-cylinder and manual trans. My driving is flat land Florida and with a 66 mile roundtrip commute, only 3 miles has a couple of traffic lights or stop signs. The rest is all 70mpg interstate with the cruise and A/C on. I shift at ~2500 rpm unless I'm accelerating onto the highway, then I'll wind it up to 3,000-4,000 or so. And, I keep my tires religiously at 4-5 lbs over the door sticker recommendation.

It seems to me the 6-cylinder gets considerably less mpg. In my past experience, performance parts and tuner chips if adding horsepower, will reduce your mpg further.

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
I have a 6 cylinder and I just filled up an hour ago and on a mixed tank has 18.8mpg. On a straight highway run I have had 23.3 mpg.

Clint

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it 3k on a new vehicle? Check back after 10-15k when it's broken in and gone through a few oil changes. I'm not surprised on a 4x4, V6 driving around town in stop and go traffic that you're in the 16's right off the bat. Be easy on the pedals and you should be able to closer to 18 after it's broken in.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it 3k on a new vehicle? Check back after 10-15k when it's broken in and gone through a few oil changes. I'm not surprised on a 4x4, V6 driving around town in stop and go traffic that you're in the 16's right off the bat. Be easy on the pedals and you should be able to closer to 18 after it's broken in.
It's got 106k miles on it. It's new to me. I figured that's what it was. When I first got it and I reset the mpg setting on the freeway driving to my buddies it was averaging 18. Like I said. I'm happy enough with it around town. That's what you get with a v6 4x4 6 manual.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've got a 2010 CC 4x4 and I rarely average above 17 mpg except for all highway driving. Normally o average 15.5-16.5 per tank. I have 163,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I have both a 4wd and 2wd and the 4 wheel averages at least 2mpg less than the 2 wheel all the time. But I kind of expected it for sure

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I figured guys. Thanks. Forgot we have a bunch of people on here who don't like to touch dirt.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
18.6 mpg average in last 13,551 miles since 11/27/2016. Includes a brutal winter and fair amount of 80+mph highway driving (speed limit in MT is 80 on interstates). Completely stock v-6 4x4 w/55k miles using regular fuel and full synthetic on all oils

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have gotten as low as 14.7mpg (all in town/winter month) and as high as 21.9 (all highway 65-70mph).
Pro 4x. 4.0l 4x4. all stock with a little over 6k on the odometer. Lifetime average so far 17.8mpg

Fuelly is a good site to visit and see what people are getting for mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got the 6 cylinder 4x4. My commute is mostly highway, but i25 is a lot of stop and go traffic. Averaging around 21 mpgs at 16,000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After taking a 400 mile round trip up to the mountains this morning to do a little fishing and make one last long run before my 3k miles warranty ran out and the all highway plus a little wheeling bumped it up to 17.0 average. So I could see those high 18s and 21s if highway was all you drive. I live 2 miles from my work so the only long driving I do is to have fun. So I can't complain for with 16.8 mpg with an average speed of 33mph

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
my long term avg is ~18, but if I'm good I get 19-21 hwy run for the tank doing about 65mph. If your truck doesn't have the front air dams like the later models have you may see in improvement provided you don't go off-road. If you do, they'll get ripped off by rocks or ice chunks or logs. meaty & oversized tires also reduce mpg. Another thing you can do is to reset the ECM. disconnect the batt for an hour. Best time to do this is when you are doing a mod.
As for proposed mods:
The CAI is more about noise. Stock intake already is well-sized and draws in cold air from the wheelwell. You could free it up some with a pvc pipe and rubber flange adapter into the wheelwell to replace teh stock pipe and foam 'gasket'.
The TB spacer won't do much of anything. Only spacer that will see any gains is the Intake Manifold Spacer. Folks have talked about it here and I like mine alot, gave good bottom-mid power boost.
The flowmaster is loud and some say it's drone-y. You may need to add some resonators.

Good luck with your 'new' truck and enjoy it. No reason you shouldn't get another 100k out of it, just be sure you check the frame for rust and keep it treated (just like any other older truck)

·
Registered
844 Posts
My stock '10 Pro-4x 6spd lifetime average is 18.3mpg. I live in a mountainous region in Canada. I drive short trips in the city 5 days per week. I do some highway trips and offroading on weekends. On long road trips I'll see 22-23mpg. Tires are the Hankook ATM P265/16R16.

I'm happy with the fuel economy and performance. Doesn't make any sense to buy something like a $47k Colorado Z71 diesel to save on my fuel bill considering I paid $20k for my Frontier.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did a lot of highway driving this weekend and the average has already jumped up to 17.2. Once duck season starts I'll be able to get a real judge on my average since I'll be driving just as much highway as local chasing birds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
my long term avg is ~18, but if I'm good I get 19-21 hwy run for the tank doing about 65mph. If your truck doesn't have the front air dams like the later models have you may see in improvement provided you don't go off-road. If you do, they'll get ripped off by rocks or ice chunks or logs. meaty & oversized tires also reduce mpg. Another thing you can do is to reset the ECM. disconnect the batt for an hour. Best time to do this is when you are doing a mod.
As for proposed mods:
The CAI is more about noise. Stock intake already is well-sized and draws in cold air from the wheelwell. You could free it up some with a pvc pipe and rubber flange adapter into the wheelwell to replace teh stock pipe and foam 'gasket'.
The TB spacer won't do much of anything. Only spacer that will see any gains is the Intake Manifold Spacer. Folks have talked about it here and I like mine alot, gave good bottom-mid power boost.
The flowmaster is loud and some say it's drone-y. You may need to add some resonators.

Good luck with your 'new' truck and enjoy it. No reason you shouldn't get another 100k out of it, just be sure you check the frame for rust and keep it treated (just like any other older truck)
I have an '08 V6 4x4 CC with 100k miles. I've owned it for a few months now and the first month was averaging low 18mpgs. I ended up removing the resonator in the airbox, replaced the tubing from the wheelwell to the airbox with a bigger rubber flange and bigger pvc tubing, changed the spark plugs, changed the transmission fluid, and changed the oil all at the same time. After doing that I've been averaging 19.5mpg since and even saw as high as 22mpg during a all highway road trip through the mountains. I normally drive 70/30 highway/city, have a tonneau bed cover and my tires are some Hankook highway tires. I'm not sure if any of that will help but I feel like something I did seemed to help up my mpg's.

I have an android and use the FillUp app to monitor my mileage. It's easy to use and seems to be very accurate. I always reset my mileage in the truck with every fill up to compare numbers with the app.

Speaking of which, Nissan advertises that the tank holds 21 gallons. Has anyone ever gone completely empty and filled it up this much? I've ran it below E but have never completely ran out. But no matter how low I've run it to this point, Ive never put more than 19.5 gallons in the truck. Anyone have any input on this?

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
... removing the resonator in the airbox, replaced the tubing from the wheelwell to the airbox with a bigger rubber flange and bigger pvc tubing, changed the spark plugs, changed the transmission fluid, and changed the oil all at the same time...

Speaking of which, Nissan advertises that the tank holds 21 gallons. Has anyone ever gone completely empty and filled it up this much? I've ran it below E but have never completely ran out. But no matter how low I've run it to this point, Ive never put more than 19.5 gallons in the truck. Anyone have any input on this?
All those things slightly improve mpg with plugs having greatest improvement (of performed maint). As to the tank, most I've filled with is 18 or 19 gal. I've not been so brave as to run completely out of gas. I have bad memories of running an old car out of gas and having to go through a whole song&dance to prime the system and get it going again. I do know the light comes on I fill about 16 gal. I suspect with the odd shape of the tank there's a 1/2 gal of air pocket when it fills up the filler neck.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Ya I just passed 7k with my '16 Pro4X and get 16.6-16.8mpg in the city and on the highway about 20.0mpg. All stock except I do have a K&N air filter, not CAI. For a 4x4 in the city, I wouldn't expect anything more then 16-17mpg. San Francisco has a lot of hills too

1 - 20 of 31 Posts