Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short i bought an 05 frontier LE. Drove it home about two hours and got 18-20 MOG. Later in the week it got a misfire code- turns out the catalytic converter had gone to mush. Hallowed out the front passenger and both back converters. A month later I’ve been averaging 13.5-15 MPG every day. Not getting any 02 codes but think of changing the front two out. Any ideas on what’s going on? Is it worth changing the front 02’s any way?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I get about 21 mpg highway.
Around town, with traffic, 13-14.
2017 crew cab with 40,000.

City driving around here means driving a few hundred yards, and sit at a stoplight for 2 minutes.
Everybody's idea of "city" driving is different.
It depends on where you drive, and how you drive. Also, the Frontier is not an economy car.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
How in the world can you run without cats? Cats are expensive so the first think you want to evaluate is whether you State requires emissions testing. If yes, then you have no choice but to change out all the cats and probably all four Oxygen sensors. You are looking at $2.5-3k. If emissions are not tested, then you can run with hollowed out cats. But the downstream oxygen sensor on both banks must be changed out with a phantom that sends the right signal to the ECU. With the right signal, the engine management system can figure out the air fuel ratio.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Long story short i bought an 05 frontier LE. Drove it home about two hours and got 18-20 MOG. Later in the week it got a misfire code- turns out the catalytic converter had gone to mush. Hallowed out the front passenger and both back converters. A month later I’ve been averaging 13.5-15 MPG every day. Not getting any 02 codes but think of changing the front two out. Any ideas on what’s going on? Is it worth changing the front 02’s any way?
Clean your MAF(mass air flow sensor) with MAF solvent. It has a wire that heats up and any amount of dirt can affect the cooling effect of said wire and change your air/fuel ratio. Also the O² sensors may need to be changed. You would need a scanner to see what they are doing but sometimes easier just to change as they have a finite life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts