Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.
Haven't been around much. Busy working and stuff.
My 2007 Frintier 6MT CC LB is getting very low MPGs since new?
city 12-14
Hwy 17-19
mixed 16

I am in Northern New Jersey

Mobil 5W30 Syntc since new every 6K miles now at 30K

I will be doing the 30K service soon, all fluids, spark plugs and etc. anything else I can do to help the MPGs.

Stock wheels stock tire size and running Nitro in the tires since 2K miles

I do drive a bit sporty though but not always

2nd

The truck is having hard time going uphills (pedal to the floor no go) feels like there is no torque to go around..thats like at 30-45MPH and 2-2.5K RPMs. Once it self canceled cruise control because it couldn't get up to speed on the hill...I was in 6th gear of course ...
So I am really concerned about that one

gotta drop it down to 3rd sometimes and the hills I am talking about ain't that bad...

Anything to check during 30K service soon...
TIA

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
MPG sound about normal.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My mileage was averaging around 19 when I first got my truck (7 months ago) then this winter it dropped down to 15-16. I just thought it was winter gas and letting it warm up a couple minutes in the morning.

Then I started having problems and it turns out the IDPM took a crap on me. So it is being replaced (going on two weeks for a 30 second swap). I expect the mileage to come back up. I'll update here after I run a tank through it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
really ... shouldn't it be more like 15-17 city/18-21 Hwy/ 17-18 mixed

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Those numbers sound a little low but remember, you are driving in an area with hills so your mpg will suck more then people that just flat ground it around.

On the 30k service all you really need to do is fluids and the engine filter and cab filter. The sparkplugs are good till 105k technically so I would wait till 60k to do them.

I have to ask thou, at what rpm do you usually shift at? If you hold it out till 4-5k, your mpg will suck more then shifting at 2.5k.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whats IDPM?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I try to shift low in the city. I do rev it a bit sometimes . I love the rumble past 3.5-4K but thats once in a while only

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sounds bout the same as me, I'm an auto though. I push 14.5-16 depending on my driving, are you using premium or 87 gas? I use premium and I get about 1-1.5 better with regular gas(tried a full tank of it once, then apologized to my truck). You lose a little bit of power with 87, but if you're just looking for better mpg then lower octane gas is the way to go, not to mention .20 less a gallon.

Here's a question for people, I was on the freeway doin 60 on cruise control and thought for the heck of it I'd see how the sunroof changed the airflow, and effectively, the mpg. Using the dash meter it said I was getting 1 mpg better with the moon roof popped up. I tried it several times on a long flat stretch of highway with it up and then down and got the same results, anyone else try this/have any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Before you freak about mpg more, I would wait another few months for the gas stations to eliminate their winter blend of gas. This will give you a more realistic mpg point to go from.

Just remember the ethanol will take away a few mpg and the winter will just add to it and then if you rev it, your mpg will completely suck.

Side Note: Its not IDPM its IPDM: Intelligent Power Distribution Module

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
93 since tank #4

ok the fuse box in the hood .. didn't remember its name... I tapped my reverse wire in there for the back up camera... great spot to do it

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might as well throw a $5 bill out the window every time you fill up...
Manual calls for 91 we have 87,89 and 93 around .. and I use shell,Sunoco and BP in this order of availability

And MPGs suck with 87 ... I think you are wrong...and my engine stays clean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts